CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As far as we know the Plaid doesn't have 4680 cells and I personally wouldn't be worried about the new batteries over 1 car catching fire.

Cars will catch on fire, while EVs are less likely to catch fire than an ICE vehicle, it's not like it can't happen.

Also I'm not going to jump to conclusions about anything until an actual investigation is done. I'm also a little concerned that the owner is the one that's having it inspected instead of an unbiased party.

Unless an investigation is properly done and it is proven that their is an problem with the vehicle that makes it more likely for these new models to catch fire, than this is just another time where either a driver did something stupid or a car just caught on fire. The fact that it's Tesla is the only reason it's really an interesting story at all that made it past a local news station.

I remember when I worked as a safety officer for a fueling company. We had two pump trucks that caught fire in the years I was there, it has nothing to do with the fueling system that supplied planes with fuel, it was just the truck engine itself.
I will say that it might have had something to do with the fact that all of our trucks were modified diesel trucks that we ran on jet fuel to save money, but i'm pretty sure that it was just ICE vehicles catching on fire randomly.

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I agree with the concept of waiting until it is investigated properly. If it is indeed a spontaneous fire where nothing was done wrong and no damage was done to the vehicle then surely Tesla would step up and cover it. Was it really necessary to get a lawyer right away if you are not responsible?
The reporting on these stories sure seems to slanted against Tesla.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Please accurately look at the pictures. 18650's but new chemistry, which chemistry? We will have to wait and see. More details are coming out, please don't put faith in FUD.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I agree with the concept of waiting until it is investigated properly. If it is indeed a spontaneous fire where nothing was done wrong and no damage was done to the vehicle then surely Tesla would step up and cover it. Was it really necessary to get a lawyer right away if you are not responsible?
The reporting on these stories sure seems to slanted against Tesla.
I really hope Tesla wouldn't step up to cover it, that sets a really bad precedence and it makes Tesla look responsible. If something was identified to have been faulty from production, than the insurance company that paid your claim will most likely contact Tesla and work towards an agreement.

Even if the driver did absolutely nothing, that doesn't just mean that Tesla is automatically at fault either. Investigations are so important when it comes to fires because there are countless things that could cause a fire. It could have been the driver, Tesla, or some external factor.

As for him going to a lawyer immediately...I'd say it sounds a little suspicious but I also know some wealthy people and their lawyers are there first contact when anything goes wrong. I was more interested about how the owner was handling the investigation when it's more common for the insurance company to handle something like that.

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounds like the article concludes that the owner may have unknowingly done some damage to the undercarriage of the car, and that ev’s are no more prone to statistically combust than their gas-powered counterparts. Its a shame though good thing he was unhurt.
thats my bet....he was probably out playing around and ran over something......I just dont believe the car burst into flames

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
That’s exactly what the media was aiming for. Not concerned with the noise and looking forward to seeing the actual investigation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So far, all of the fires have been from massive damage to the undercarriage ignored by the driver.

'Somehow' got out? There's a manual release lever in case of an emergency. Sheesh. My ICE car doesn't have a special emergency pop-out lever.

I wonder why the car didn't know it was on fire and go into park? Tesla's are supposed to go into park when you unbuckle and leave your seat.

That's kinda fishy.

-Crissa

PS - also, why does he 'have possession' of the burnt car? Shouldn't it be held for NHTSA investigation? Usually EVs are hard to get back from the wrecker because of liability.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So far, all of the fires have been from massive damage to the undercarriage ignored by the driver.

'Somehow' got out? There's a manual release lever in case of an emergency. Sheesh. My ICE car doesn't have a special emergency pop-out lever.

I wonder why the car didn't know it was on fire and go into park? Tesla's are supposed to go into park when you unbuckle and leave your seat.

That's kinda fishy.

-Crissa

PS - also, why does he 'have possession' of the burnt car? Shouldn't it be held for NHTSA investigation? Usually EVs are hard to get back from the wrecker because of liability.
agreed....there's more to this story....someone should rent a tuna boat and go "fishing" into this story

davidngo44

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cycberstruck
Occupation
Country flag
As far as we know the Plaid doesn't have 4680 cells and I personally wouldn't be worried about the new batteries over 1 car catching fire.

Cars will catch on fire, while EVs are less likely to catch fire than an ICE vehicle, it's not like it can't happen.

Also I'm not going to jump to conclusions about anything until an actual investigation is done. I'm also a little concerned that the owner is the one that's having it inspected instead of an unbiased party.

Unless an investigation is properly done and it is proven that their is an problem with the vehicle that makes it more likely for these new models to catch fire, than this is just another time where either a driver did something stupid or a car just caught on fire. The fact that it's Tesla is the only reason it's really an interesting story at all that made it past a local news station.

I remember when I worked as a safety officer for a fueling company. We had two pump trucks that caught fire in the years I was there, it has nothing to do with the fueling system that supplied planes with fuel, it was just the truck engine itself.
I will say that it might have had something to do with the fact that all of our trucks were modified diesel trucks that we ran on jet fuel to save money, but i'm pretty sure that it was just ICE vehicles catching on fire randomly.
Stupid so call main stream medias are on full tesla attach again.... to piss is us off so we can read and visit their web sites. Not falling for any of their BS. These news are as BS as Burn loot Murder org aka BLM.org

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag

That's kinda fishy.

-Crissa

definitely fishy.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I really hope Tesla wouldn't step up to cover it, that sets a really bad precedence and it makes Tesla look responsible. If something was identified to have been faulty from production, than the insurance company that paid your claim will most likely contact Tesla and work towards an agreement.

Even if the driver did absolutely nothing, that doesn't just mean that Tesla is automatically at fault either. Investigations are so important when it comes to fires because there are countless things that could cause a fire. It could have been the driver, Tesla, or some external factor.

As for him going to a layer immediately...I'd say it sounds a little suspicious but I also know some wealthy people and their lawyers are there first contact when anything goes wrong. I was more interested about how the owner was handling the investigation when it's more common for the insurance company to handle something like that.
PERSPECTIVE…..An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deathsi 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018.

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag