Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tundra, 1968 Dodge Dart, 1983 CJ8 Crawler
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I wonder if the electrical failure mode for electric brakes is to come to a stop? With hydraulic systems you can usually push hard if the motor fails and get some friction. Air brakes will typically lock up. Did Brembo address this in their presentation materials?
Sponsored

vwtodd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen Rabbit
Country flag
I went to the Petersen Automobile Museum yesterday to see the Cybertruck in person. With everyone saying it is a monster I wanted to know what I signed up for (I am 5’7”). I found it to be normal for a full-sized pickup in length and height and quite wide. Definitely doable.

While at the exhibit there was a section of Model S Plaid that had Brembo brake calipers and I was reminded of a recent video put out by @connectingodots that suggested the CT might use the Brembo digital brake system to eliminate hydraulics (and use the steer by wire system to eliminate manual linkages there). These 2 ideas would dramatically simplify CT design and manufacturing, and improve performance - very Elon.

Does anyone know if this is more than a fantasy? Even if we could see the brake calipers on the prototype they would probably be different than the production truck. Ideas?
The new Brembo Sensify brake-by-wire system can be all electric (hydraulic-free), but only if all 4 wheels use sliding calipers. Brembo is using one small local electric hydraulic pumps for each wheel for fixed calipers, located close to the wheel, vs. one centralized pump under the hood. They are working on packaging electric actuators with fixed calipers. This still gives the overall package enormous advantages when it comes to programming and control, with greatly reduced maintenance. The hydraulic portion of the new system is very small.

Watching the Cyber Rodeo video when Elon & Franz are talking in front of the Cybertruck, you can clearly see large, white fixed calipers on the front wheels, and what looks like sliding calipers on the rear. Tesla has been partnered with Brembo since the beginning. Assuming that they use Brembo on the CT, it will likely be localized hydraulic on the front, electric on the rear.