First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
As I read these threads it seems that the "pass through" is at the top of the wish lists.

But how? The window rolls up and down inside the mid-section at the moment (I'm guessing). I can see the window folding down with/inside of this section. But what about the vault cover, where will it go? I think it rolls up behind the back seat at the moment, which is behind/in front of mid-section, respectively. If the mid-section folds away to create a "pass through" where will the vault cover roll away to? Heck, where will the mid-gate fold away to? It does not seem like an easy problem to solve without adding many dollars to the bottom line!

Suggestions anyone...?

Cybertruck, test ride driver answers a question: where does the cover go..? Its directly behind you. The passenger was sitting in the back seat.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The window rolls up and down inside the mid-section at the moment (I'm guessing).
Windows roll up in doors.

But what about the vault cover, where will it go? I think it rolls up behind the back seat at the moment, which is behind/in front of mid-section, respectively.
It rolls up past the window and under the seat, yes.

If the mid-section folds away to create a "pass through" where will the vault cover roll away to?
  • Well, the window could, as you suggested, roll down into the gate. Or fold up to the ceiling.
  • The vault cover could stay under the seat where it is.
  • And the back wall is just behind the seats. It could fold down with them.
  • Why can't the back wall of the cabin can't just be 'the tonneau cover': Why does it need to fold any where?

Lots of ways to do this.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Personally I dont think we will get a pass through, maybe an open-able window though, which is honestly good enough for me.

It would require a decent redesign to put the vault cover lower,or under the bed, and fold the midgate somewhere

Last edited:
OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Windows roll up in doors.

It rolls up past the window and under the seat, yes.

• Well, the window could, as you suggested, roll down into the gate. Or fold up to the ceiling.
  • The vault cover could stay under the seat where it is.
  • And the back wall is just behind the seats. It could fold down with them.
  • Why can't the back wall of the cabin can't just be 'the tonneau cover': Why does it need to fold any where?

Lots of ways to do this.

-Crissa
Not that middle window...It won't roll down in the doors...Your other ideas are pretty good though!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not that middle window...It won't roll down in the doors...Your other ideas are pretty good though!
It could roll down. I didn't say it would. This is just an option. Was it the Bronco that had the roll-down window in the tailgate? I forget.

-Crissa

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
It could roll down. I didn't say it would. This is just an option. Was it the Bronco that had the roll-down window in the tailgate? I forget.

-Crissa
So it is known that the current cover rolls up as a roll under the back seat? I would have thought it rolled back under the floor of the bed. But because of pythagoras theorem or something that would leave a bit at the bottom of the cabin back wall of course.

I agree this could all be solved to make a big opening when wanted. I guess if it’s not disproportionately costly or reduces safety somehow.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
So it is known that the current cover rolls up as a roll under the back seat? I would have thought it rolled back under the floor of the bed. But because of pythagoras theorem or something that would leave a bit at the bottom of the cabin back wall of course.

I agree this could all be solved to make a big opening when wanted. I guess if it’s not disproportionately costly or reduces safety somehow.
I read an article some time ago that showed a sketch of how the cover works; it rolls up below the bed behind the seats essentially in the spot where the Rivian truck has it's pass-through extra storage for golf clubs or whatever. I just searched for 15 mins but I can't find the article again; it was a discussion about the truck, I think by a well-known journalist or magazine.

Anyway, that bed cover operation does present a problem for a pass-through to the cabin, but not impossible. The rear window wall provides a track for the cover to move up or down. It moves behind the window and into the wall, and then into the floor and rolls up. So the back wall does nothing when the cover is either up or down, only in between. To make a pass-through work, they would just have to move the track outside the back wall in the bed area. It's already there partially, where the window is. Then you add hinges to the wall and it can fold forward. It would add complexity to the design, but it would be awesome, and the buyers on here do really seem to want it, myself included.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Im with @Newton , i dont think this is going to happen, and Im totally alright with that and actually prefer it to be honest. One less moving part/seal to worry about, and i feel that the use cases are extremely limited. I plan on keeping this vehicle a very long time, so i dont want to have to worry about this down the road.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Personally I dont think we will get a pass through, maybe an open-able window though, which honestly good enough for me.

It would require a decent redesign to put the vault cover lower,or under the bed, and fold the midgate somewhere
I think this is good enough for me too. The possibility to grab something in the back through the window and it being a big enough opening to be able to crawl through either way in case of an emergency.

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
so easiest answer for the vault cover is that it will not operate with the gate down. If the pass thru is down the cover stays in what ever position you put it in before you open it. So going to sleep in bed close cover and open mid gate to climb thru. Want to carry larger cargo open the cover then fold down mid gate. Would this not work? the issue is the operation of the cover while the gate is open currently.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
so easiest answer for the vault cover is that it will not operate with the gate down. If the pass thru is down the cover stays in what ever position you put it in before you open it. So going to sleep in bed close cover and open mid gate to climb thru. Want to carry larger cargo open the cover then fold down mid gate. Would this not work? the issue is the operation of the cover while the gate is open currently.
That could work, or like I said above they can just move the guide rails the bed cover guide rails are outside the rear glass, so that could just continue to the bottom rather than going in the back wall.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Crissa...
My Bronco and Landrover Freelander had roll down rear windows.
Very handy.
The LR did do a strange thing though...if the power was disconnected it would always lower the rear window, and I didn't know this until found the window down after a rain storm!

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
Yes, somewhere on this forum is a video showing it rolling up past the rear window.
Nothing is stored under the rear seat. Nowhere does it show or claim this.