I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter...

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
I agree, you're getting a well-engineered vehicle that should last a really long time.

The ramp was always kind of silly, no way it would stand up to the abuse.

But the wider looking stance with the larger fender flares and tires really makes the prototype ... I predict a ton of aftermarket options ...
Sponsored

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
Valid point and I am personally buying the range extender.
Considering Tesla has already announced it won't be available until late 2024, which likely really means sometime in 2025 based upon past performance, if at all, I'm not holding my breath. Like some models/options that are announced to attempt to appeal to a broader audience, I'd bet even money as to whether the Range Extender actually comes to market. If Tesla can sell enough CTs without this option, they won't bother with it.

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I watched the Nov 21, 2019 reveal, and the moment the prices were displayed, I logged into my account and reserved. It was the mother of all no-brainers, and, to be honest, too good to be true. As such, I wasn't surprised to see what Cybertruck became in the real world of engineering + economics. Disappointment? Sure. Bitterness? No. I have the AWD Foundation Series on order, paying way more than those pie in the sky Nov 2019 estimates, but what's the alternative?

Bkb13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
Considering Tesla has already announced it won't be available until late 2024, which likely really means sometime in 2025 based upon past performance, if at all, I'm not holding my breath. Like some models/options that are announced to attempt to appeal to a broader audience, I'd bet even money as to whether the Range Extender actually comes to market. If Tesla can sell enough CTs without this option, they won't bother with it.
I understand your hesitancy given Tesla’s delays on the cyber truck. But if you watch the early videos, many of the engineers were super excited to finally explain why things have been delayed for four years. They basically had to re-engineer the truck twice. Elon drove it to his house and said it was 5% too big. They had to redo everything.

As for the range extender, It will come. I have a $500 nonrefundable deposit with Tesla. They are essentially guaranteeing that they will build it.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
As for the range extender, It will come. I have a $500 nonrefundable deposit with Tesla. They are essentially guaranteeing that they will build it.
I don't know about the guarantee aspect, but it's definitely refundable by one party. Tesla

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I'm a Texan who has driven nothing but big trucks my whole life, and I fell in love with the aggressiveness of the original beast.

Originally $69,900 for:
  • Tires: 35x13.5(?)r20 Mud-Tires
  • Range: 500+ miles
  • Towing capacity: More than 14,000 lbs
  • Payload: Up to 3,500 lbs
  • Bed: Stainless
  • Steel thickness: 3 mm
  • Light-bar: Integrated
  • Tailgate: Integrated Ramp
Now $99,990 for:
  • Tires: 35x11r20 Hybrid (all-terrain tread)
  • Range: 320 miles
  • Towing capacity: 11,000 lbs
  • Payload: 2,500 lbs
  • Bed: Rubber/Plastic
  • Steel thickness: ~1.4 mm
  • Light-bar: Optioned
  • Tailgate: No Ramp
The truck is scaled smaller, has less range, less towing, less storage, less material, less cells, and many of the original features are now no longer or available for an added cost.

I'm still buying, but getting less of a truck for nearly double the original price is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. At the very least, I wish could just get the original truck. I never asked to scale it to fit in my garage.
1702911600079.png
1702914674036.png

1702915598530.png
1702915625736.png

1702914995149.png
1702915189390.png

1702914845369.png
1702914890992.png

1702915444519.png
1702912425498.png

1702912213780.png
Good summary, I just watched the Munro video and the doors are a little thicker at 1.8 mm

Unfortunately I am waiting probably another 2 years for the price to come down or the CAD to go up, which is unlikely. Maybe the battery will be better by then.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
I understand your hesitancy given Tesla’s delays on the cyber truck. But if you watch the early videos, many of the engineers were super excited to finally explain why things have been delayed for four years. They basically had to re-engineer the truck twice. Elon drove it to his house and said it was 5% too big. They had to redo everything.

Plenty of Tesla owners have had deposits on models and options that never came to fruition - read your order agreement line by line - none of it is written in stone. I'd also bet there's a decent chance we won't see the RWD CT for the same reason - well beyond 2025 as was mentioned during the launch event. The only reason Tesla has introduced RWD versions of the MY/M3 is due to demand slacking over the past year, to allow for lower price points. Even now - we're seeing 8-10% discounts on current inventory for both the MY and M3 models due to the same issue. My hesitancy has nothing to do with the CT in other words - it has to to do with how Tesla has managed these same scenarios historically. There's a long track record of foregoing additional platform models and expensive options as long as Tesla can sell every vehicle they build without adding additional complexity to the lines. As Musk has often said, the best part is no part.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
When my warranty was about to expire several years back, I created a service ticket (mainly because one of the 16A internal chargers had died), but and I also indicated that my range had fallen off a cliff since the purchase, and I wanted to get these items addressed while I still could under warranty. They said the range decrease was within spec, and on the day of our appointment, they postponed the visit to a much later time because they said the didn't have the part they needed in stock and would have to special order it. By the time they finally got the part in, they rescheduled our appointment, and then told us we instead need to bring it in for this repair. Then sent us a massive bill for it. I said it should be under warranty. They said its a few miles over. I said, yeah since you pushed us back I still needed to get to work, so I kept driving, but pull the logs and see that it was under warranty when I submitted this ticket. They went back and forth with my and I had to settle with them by paying half of the repairs worth like over a grand. I'm still salty about that! Still range is no bueno, but we make it work with planned stops in Madisonville and Ennis.

*I say over a grand. I'm going off memory, and I think I recall paying like 2k, but I can't recall exactly, so I said ~1,000. it was a lot of money that we shouldn't have had to pay. I remember that at least. I was so mad (still am).
I have a 2018 M3 RWD long range and drive in salt and snow in Canada. A couple of years after I bought it I noticed the paint was peeling on the lower panel behind the left front wheel. I figured it was a painting defect but tesla detemined that it was because of stone chips even though I rarely drive on gravel roads. This cost me close to a grand CAD to repaint at an approved body shop and at around this time tesla started to sell mud flaps for the front wheels and clear plastic protectors for behind the front wheels and the flare on the rear fender.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
You do realize Elon Musk could teach a master class on Overpromise and Underdeliver, right?

have you never listened to the shit that dude said on FSD? How can you be surprised by this?? 😂😂😂
He hardly mentions FSD anymore, other than to say the future of the company depends on it. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Dazajj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350
Occupation
Regional Account Director
Country flag
i'm there with you. I ordered the FS AWD, and even though i'm really excited, i'm salty that i had to spend 100K to get a truck that was supposed to be around 50K... but it is what it is. I'm happy i'm able to afford it at this point in my life.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
It's more than that though. Did the F150 gas tank reduce by 30% in size too?
Valid point and I am personally buying the range extender.
Ya know, I'm sitting here and honestly laughing (ok, more like a really big smirk). EVERY naysayer points to the "loss in range". I didn't realize so many people had reserved the original tri-motor! There has been NO LOSS OF RANGE for the dual/AWD version, rather, it has a RANGE INCREASE over the 2019 targets. But nobody mentions that fact. Everyone wants to cry and wail about the "loss of range" that only occurred on one model.

So no, the F150's gas tank didn't shrink by 30%. It also didn't grow by 10% either.

Haters gonna hate...

EVOverlanding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Cybertruck FS Order
Country flag
Then there is a lot of bonus stuff that matters a LOT to my use case:
  • Range is significantly better than what was promised (300+ miles is now 340 with road wheels and 318 with ATs)
  • Charging was 250+ kw now 350kw 800V super fast charging (#1 most important thing to me)
  • V2H super useful extra power wall capacity
  • 0-60 in 4.1 Seconds instead of 4.5 (like that, who wouldn't?)
  • 4 wheel steering makes it useable in the city
  • Outside is smaller, bed is still 6 ft, nice
  • Very quiet cabin with active noise cancellation
  • Smooth, car-like ride (ride was the reason I hated my Silverado)
  • More clearance (17 vs promised 16) for hurricane season
  • I can bump to 470 miles of range anytime I want with the extender pack, was not expecting that.

OP, I agree with your sentiment it's just you've come to the wrong place as the fandom here has made a lot of excuses since the delivery event. I see posts like the above and it shows what some are doing to compare it in a better light. Example, the 17in of ground clearance is a misnomer and can't be used for normal driving, it's only in extreme situations for use in brief moments to get out of a stuck situation. As well as the range extender can't just be added in and out of the truck at anytime when someone wants to use it. It's going to weigh over 700lbs and requires a service appointment with already busy service centers to install it... on top of losing 33% of your bed space.

The overall tone on the forum was disappointment for the first day after the delivery event just a couple weeks ago because of the price spike and features/capabilities being cut in most ways for the tri-motor (which is what I reserved) but since then people have been finding ways to justify the short comings and failure to deliver of which Tesla has not missed the mark like this in the past.

In addition to the other mentioned unveil event details, people are also forgetting about the storage sails, and the built in air-compressor that were not included. I can forget about those but to miss so bad on the tri-motor range and the price jumping as high as it did I believe most consumers would feel let down which is the message OP is conveying.

Most consumers also aren't going to be shopping for a truck just because it has 4 wheel steering, steer by wire, or V2H. They are all great features (especially V2H) but it doesn't mean people will splurge near 6 figures for it. As someone whose owned 3 Tesla vehicles going back 10 years, Tesla Solar and first gen early adopter Powerwalls, I want Tesla to succeed but I too am struggling to justify the truck that we expected from 2019 not having the specs/features/capabilities promised. The truck is definitely more of a statement/niche truck then work truck like we expected it to be but hey at least I can throw a baseball at the window and not have it shatter... just like any other modern tempered glass window in cars today. :rolleyes:

Jethro

First Name
Jethro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (on order)
Occupation
consultant
Country flag
I'm a Texan who has driven nothing but big trucks my whole life, and I fell in love with the aggressiveness of the original beast.

Originally $69,900 for:
  • Tires: 35x13.5(?)r20 Mud-Tires
  • Range: 500+ miles
  • Towing capacity: More than 14,000 lbs
  • Payload: Up to 3,500 lbs
  • Bed: Stainless
  • Steel thickness: 3 mm
  • Light-bar: Integrated
  • Tailgate: Integrated Ramp
Now $99,990 for:
  • Tires: 35x11r20 Hybrid (all-terrain tread)
  • Range: 320 miles
  • Towing capacity: 11,000 lbs
  • Payload: 2,500 lbs
  • Bed: Rubber/Plastic
  • Steel thickness: ~1.4 mm
  • Light-bar: Optioned
  • Tailgate: No Ramp
The truck is scaled smaller, has less range, less towing, less storage, less material, less cells, and many of the original features are now no longer or available for an added cost.

I'm still buying, but getting less of a truck for nearly double the original price is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. At the very least, I wish could just get the original truck. I never asked to scale it to fit in my garage.
1702911600079.png
1702914674036.png

1702915598530.png
1702915625736.png

1702914995149.png
1702915189390.png

1702914845369.png
1702914890992.png

1702915444519.png
1702912425498.png

1702912213780.png
Geez…you want some cheese with your whine??

Next year $69K will be worth nearly $90K in 2019 dollars plus you are getting steer by wire, 4WS, 48 volt architecture, ethernet communications, better acceleration, dynamic suspension, etc.

You said “but getting less of a truck for nearly double the original price”. TOTALLY WRONG!
I know you’re from Texas, but you gotta do some MATH!

Go ahead…drop of the list!
Sponsored

Last edited: