VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Thanks for all the good work. I wonder if Tesla would sell a new owner the FSD or other add-ons after purchase.
Absolutely will sell FSD and other add on after. Our Model three has upgrades you can purchase through the Tesla App, ie FSD and heated rear seats.
You just have to pay the listed price, not a locked in pre-order price.
Sponsored

OP
OP

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Curious how trade-in value would work in this case, as the calculation for taxes go that trade-in value is deducted before taxes. Which then may drop the tri-motor below $100k.
Most taxes yes -- but this is a new one (luxury tax), and is based on the list price. Don't know if that would exclude extras like delivery.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
...Australia has had a "Luxury Car Tax" for years...
...it seems they are emulating us, which is a terrible idea...
...ostensibly this tax was to protect sales of Australian made cars over foreign ones...
...but there are no longer any cars made in Australia, and the tax remains, surprise, surprise...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Take heart. A Canadian accountant once told me that while Canada may be a terrible place to live WRT taxes it is a great place to die.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I guess it's not too bad since the Luxury tax should be applied before any other Canadian tax, so even if I put additional options on my purchase, I shouldn't be paying more than 1000-2000 on top of everything else.

I'm just hoping I can get the camping package and the Cyberquad delivered with my Cybertruck but as a separate purchase. The camping package will probably be a few thousand at least and i'm sure the Cyberquad will be pretty pricey. If these are option that you put on to the Cybertruck, then i'm hoping that the luxury tax will be applied before the cost of additional packages that aren't permanently attached to the truck.

OP
OP

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I guess it's not too bad since the Luxury tax should be applied before any other Canadian tax, so even if I put additional options on my purchase, I shouldn't be paying more than 1000-2000 on top of everything else.

I'm just hoping I can get the camping package and the Cyberquad delivered with my Cybertruck but as a separate purchase. The camping package will probably be a few thousand at least and i'm sure the Cyberquad will be pretty pricey. If these are option that you put on to the Cybertruck, then i'm hoping that the luxury tax will be applied before the cost of additional packages that aren't permanently attached to the truck.
As I understand it, the new luxury tax is in the proposed federal budget -- which has not been passed yet (and a federal election may occur first). But as written, the tax would apply to the list price of exactly what you buy.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I have no problem paying some extra tax if I buy a 6 figure vehicle. That's fair. But this tax is stupid. 20% is insane, and will have a negative impact on the country. If the CT is $105k, then I would pay an extra $1k on buying. Not the end of the world. But if you're talking a $200k Bentley, then it's $20k. Insane. Any rich person would have no problem buying it in Florida and then shipping it. Same with the tax on boats. FU Canada, I'm not paying $500k in taxes on my new $2.5M yacht. Why on earth would they? They'll just buy it in Boston instead. So stupid.

To make something like this work, they should have made it more subtle, to the point where a rich person debates weather it's worth avoiding. An extra 2% or 5% or whatever. If the extra tax on the fancy new boat was $10-20k, then rich guy will debate weather it's worth the hassle and fuel cost to buy it elsewhere, and you still get a little extra money for the government to waste on things.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
my biggest concern with the luxury tax is that they call it that with price as the only condition. If you buy a $99,999 car that is advertise as a luxury model and some auto makers even call the trim level 'luxury', you won't pay any extra. On the other had if you bought a truck over $100,000 then it's considered luxury by the governement and will have the tax.

Right now, not including my wifes car, i have 3 vehicles. None of those vehicles are over $100,000, none of those vehicles would have a luxury tax. However I want to replace all 3 of those with the Cybertruck; it will be my work truck for projects, my daily driver, and my offroad vehicle.

I don't think that there should be a luxury tax at all, since it's just taxing people based on how they want to spend their money in a market where most people won't have to worry about that tax. But if they wanted to go with this Luxury tax then I think there should have been other criteria for what is a luxury vehicle. I know plenty of people who work trade jobs who need a truck and some of them have a higher end model because it's cheaper for them to buy one really nice truck than to buy a work truck and then a seperate vehicle for when they are with their families.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Politicians who are responsible for these Luxury Taxes have never read the fable about the goose that laid the golden eggs. This has been tried in the states a couple of times and several industries brought to near ruin. Many workers lost their jobs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, by not exempting BEVs or giving them a higher ceiling, it's slowing adoption of cars with higher initial price rather than cars with lower Total Cost of Ownership. Tesla often does very well in TCO comparisons... all BEVs do. But their initial sticker price is $5k-$20k higher based upon battery costs.

-Crissa

j4ypal

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and CT reservation
Country flag
To me it's not a big enough deal to warrant such tricks from Tesla.

According to the results of the scenarios I plotted out (view page 1 spreadsheet), the luxury tax would only affect the Tri-motor if you choose the full self driving option.

And the price would only go up between 500$ to about 2500$.

If you're able and willing to pay 120-130k (canadian) for a truck, does it really matter that much that you need to pay 500$ to 2500$?

MAJMurphy

First Name
MAJM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Country flag
Hi, perhaps a stupid auestion here, but if I buy CT in the US, pay sales tax, use it in the US for 1 year, then bring it to Canada - I will pay sales tax again on the black book value, correct? i.e., pay sales tax twice, perhaps Canadian luxury tax and no green rebate? That’s actually the scenario I am looking at due to my work plan. Or is there a way to avoid double sales tax? Thanks.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
To me it's not a big enough deal to warrant such tricks from Tesla.

According to the results of the scenarios I plotted out (view page 1 spreadsheet), the luxury tax would only affect the Tri-motor if you choose the full self driving option.

And the price would only go up between 500$ to about 2500$.

If you're able and willing to pay 120-130k (canadian) for a truck, does it really matter that much that you need to pay 500$ to 2500$?
I am getting the the trimotor with FSD and i'll also probably get the camping package and the Cyberquad if they are offered as options.

My problem isn't the extra 500-2500 that I would have to pay, it's why I have to pay it.

I already mentioned above that I have 3 vehicles. I have a truck for my projects, I have a jeep for offroading and I have a car for a more comfortable drive when I travel for work or go visit friends. My truck is over 20 years old, my jeep is close to that, my car is 15 years old. All of these have between 200,000-400,000km and eventually i would need to replace all of them.

I would get the Cybertruck anyway since it's absolutely amazing, but it's also way more efficient for me. I will save money buying the top of the line Cybertruck rather than replacing all 3 of my vehicles in the next 5-10 years and it will satisfy all my needs. To save money I also have to pay some ridiculous 'luxury' tax.

If Canada wanted a 'Luxury' tax for vehicles (which is stupid in the first place), they should make criteria that actually makes sense. If a vehicle is priced way higher for no other reason except for brand, or some advertised level of comfort, or because it's a hand crafted car and no mass produced; that's a believeable criteria for what constitues 'luxury'. Canada made a giant list of specific models of guns for further restrictions, but here they just say luxury is a price.

The Cybertruck compared to other EV trucks that are featured to come out in the next couple years does more for a cheaper price. That to me is the affordable option. Any worker in Canada who wants a Cybertruck that can tow a lot for a long range might have to pay a luxury tax, while you can get a luxury brand car just for pleasure for just under 100,000 and that won't cost any extra
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.