Factory pick-up in lieu of delivery [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The big question is whether Tesla wants to invest in doing this. If it’s just 100 of us on CTOC interested, it’s not going to be worth the investment. Tesla needs at least a few dozen per month coming to pick it up to invest in a new process. Might make sense to do it on a monthly schedule.

Would people delay delivery by a week or two to do this?
I just looked, there is a Tesla Store in Austin. Maybe:
  • They could train the salespeople representatives there to give tours etc. at the factory.
  • Close the existing Telsa Store and have it be part of the factory campus.
Sponsored

Varocketry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Subject: Tesla Cybertruck pickup
Message: I have a Tesla Cybertruck on order and expect to spend time in Austin to pick it up directly from the factory if possible. It’d be a great chance to visit my daughter who’s a nurse in Austin.

I am concerned that state and local laws may prevent this issue. If Tesla is able to factory deliver to me I will be flying in from my home state Florida and will, again, enjoy Austin’s hospitality and food venues.

With more than half a million Cybertruck reservations, this could be a great boost of income to local businesses and for state sales tax revenue. Your consideration and support to make this possible is appreciated.

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
I want to take time off and enjoy a road trip with my new CT. I want to see the factory where it was built. And conveniently, I have family near Austin that I can show off and offer rides in my new CT.

To my knowledge, Tesla hasn't done factory pick-up since they started high volume mass production. But Elon did say that Terafactory Austin is going to be a destination site earlier, around July or so...

"It’s about 2,000 acres and we’re going to make it a factory that is going to be stunning. It’s right on the Colorado River. So we’re actually going to have a boardwalk, where there’ll be a hiking/biking trail. It’s going to basically be an ecological paradise, birds in the trees, butterflies, fish in the stream, and it’ll be open to the public as well. So not closed and only Tesla."

Elon please make it so! I want to fly into Austin-Bergstrom and hop over to Terafactory Texas to pick up my CT. I feel like posting this somehow might make it more likely to happen. Anybody else on board?
this is Wat I wold like to do, I wont to drive down with my M3 and traid it in for my CT.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I have been to GigaAustin and it is an imposing sight,
You can look at the drone footage and say "damn that's big" but it's not until you drive around it do you realize the huge scale.
Security is pretty tight but I "hid in plain sight" and managed to drive up to the main building but even my best BS'ing couldn't get me inside during the Cyber Rodeo.
Tesla should allow a vendor to handle a factory tour and the pickup of vehicles.
Said vendor would pay Tesla a fee to operate the process and require them to carry liability insurance and to ride herd on the tourist/buyers.
The tour would consist of a nickel tour tram ride through the plant, a catered lunch at the pickup point and the vendor would take care of all the paperwork and prep of the vehicle prior to pickup.
The vendor would schedule when the buyer could pick up their vehicle and take care of all the logistics involved in making it a smooth experience for the buyer.
If Tesla would cut the "delivery fee" it would save the buyer money even if he paid for the privilege of picking his vehicle up personally.
If I were twenty years younger (and wanted to live in Texas) I'd put my hat in the ring for that business.
My plan is to drive my little Nissan van out there, pick up my CT and flat tow the van back if that is feasible.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You can look at the drone footage and say "damn that's big" but it's not until you drive around it do you realize the huge scale.
Security is pretty tight but I "hid in plain sight" and managed to drive up to the main building but even my best BS'ing couldn't get me inside during the Cyber Rodeo.
Tesla should allow a vendor to handle a factory tour and the pickup of vehicles.
Said vendor would pay Tesla a fee to operate the process and require them to carry liability insurance and to ride herd on the tourist/buyers.
The tour would consist of a nickel tour tram ride through the plant, a catered lunch at the pickup point and the vendor would take care of all the paperwork and prep of the vehicle prior to pickup.
The vendor would schedule when the buyer could pick up their vehicle and take care of all the logistics involved in making it a smooth experience for the buyer.
If Tesla would cut the "delivery fee" it would save the buyer money even if he paid for the privilege of picking his vehicle up personally.
If I were twenty years younger (and wanted to live in Texas) I'd put my hat in the ring for that business.
My plan is to drive my little Nissan van out there, pick up my CT and flat tow the van back if that is feasible.
Sounds like a dealership model with extra steps.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When Elon first announced buying the property in Austin he talked about it being 5 minutes from the airport, right on the Colorado River, and they're going to have a walking/biking boardwalk. It's going to be an ecological paradise.
That indicated to me that they are not just building a factory, but also having accessibility to the public. Having factory pick-up would seem to go along with that.
Elon was specifically asked if factory pickup would be possible and he said yes. I do not have the reference in front of me but it was very clear.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I like the ideas here but I do not think that Tesla would contract out for this (any more than it contracts out most anything). A factory tour and pickup for people is exactly what I am hoping to do, plus making a round of the local BBQ spots with a big cooler before driving back to California!
Sponsored