ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Not my video. The video title is clickbait-ish but there's probably some validity that a successful Cybertruck could dent Ford's business.

In this video we look at Elon Musks Tesla vs Ford as a company and see how the Tesla Cybertruck may impact Ford financially. If Tesla can one day build its Cybertruck at a gigafactory located in the USA, then legacy auto companies may begin to feel financial pressure.

Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
CLICK BAIT. Ford still has way more die hard fans. I am not one of them But i know people who utterly refuse to by anything else no matter how reliable they really are. They are convinced nothing could possibly be better.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is clickbait. The financial future of Ford or any large industry is far too complex an equation to attribute one factor as the tipping point. Do I think the CYBRTRK will affect Ford? Oh, heck yes! But so will their own complacency and typical large corporation mantra: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I cannot fathom the difficulty in turning a large ship at sea, no more could I imagine the complexities and fallout from Ford or GM going all-in on electrics. Having said that, with the massive layoffs and factory closings due to the coronavirus crisis, were I Mr. Ford, I'd do what Elon's 'gonna do: fine-tune and modernize; convert (or build) a couple or three factories to all-electric facilities. The workers are laid off anyway.
The Fed is going to bail out Ford and GM (and others). They should take the money and spend it on the actual future of the automobile. Do I see the CYBRTRK taking a HUGE mother slice out of the big bland, vanilla pickup truck market? Oh, heck yes.

Scottj

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is definitely clickbait. I actually just watched this video before coming here.

Sure the cybertruck presents wonderful new ideas, and presents a definite challenge for other auto-makers in the EV segment.
However, Ford as stated by others is a massive and very complex company who has an immense history as an auto-maker. The cybertruck absolutely will not drive Ford to bankruptcy.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
"The cybertruck absolutely will not drive Ford to bankruptcy."

This makes me recall how sure companies like Nokia and Motorola were that Apple could never make it in their industry.
Good point, but ford seems to be adopting rather quickly. They arent one of the big auto's without a plan.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
Regarding pickup trucks, I've owned the following:

1989 Isuzu (2.2L)
1970 F250 (360)
1971 F250 (390)
1977 F150 (351)
1992 F150 (4.9)
1995 F150 (4.9)
1998 E350 (7.3)
2002 F250 (7.3)
2003 F250 (6.0)
2009 F150 (5.4 3V)
2013 F250 (6.7)
1997 F250 (7.3)
2004 Tundra (4.7)
1992 Dodge D2500 (5.9)
2006 Dodge D250 (5.9)

I doubt the young yankee that made that video knows why people buy trucks (in Texas anyway). He sounded like he lives deep in a NY burrough and has never seen a truck? Just guessing. People own trucks for different reasons, but the CT isn't going to bankrupt Ford anytime soon. Oil is currently 20 a barrel (temporarily)? I'm not a fanboy of Ford by any means but I prefer them over Dodge. And Duramax trucks are high priced.

I can't think of anything I've been more excited about than the CT, but it's not going to bankrupt Ford. Body on frame design and ICE make sense until batteries improve. I'm thinking about buying a Bolt to drive around and keep my diesel for truck duties because the CT isn't going to cut it based on my analysis. I'm on the fence though.

Tesla Cybertruck Clickbait or valid prediction? "Tesla Cybertruck Will Be Ford's Demise Towards Bankruptcy" Tesla Cybertruck triangle side view mirrors

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag

This makes me recall how sure companies like Nokia and Motorola were that Apple could never make it in their industry.
But the iPhone directly competed with Nokia and Motorola products. The Cybertruck does not compete with anything Ford produces.

Tesla may be considered direct competition to Ford; the Cybertruck not so much.

Conclusion: clickbait. :)

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
This is clickbait. The financial future of Ford or any large industry is far too complex an equation to attribute one factor as the tipping point. Do I think the CYBRTRK will affect Ford? Oh, heck yes! But so will their own complacency and typical large corporation mantra: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I cannot fathom the difficulty in turning a large ship at sea, no more could I imagine the complexities and fallout from Ford or GM going all-in on electrics. Having said that, with the massive layoffs and factory closings due to the coronavirus crisis, were I Mr. Ford, I'd do what Elon's 'gonna do: fine-tune and modernize; convert (or build) a couple or three factories to all-electric facilities. The workers are laid off anyway.
The Fed is going to bail out Ford and GM (and others). They should take the money and spend it on the actual future of the automobile. Do I see the CYBRTRK taking a HUGE mother slice out of the big bland, vanilla pickup truck market? Oh, heck yes.
mostly agree.
I would point out that Ford did not take bailout money the last time around, but did get a loan from the fed.

nice summary here.... https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670#fords-bailout

Ford has quite a few electric and hybrid vehicles, so they are in good shape relative to GM and others.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
This is definitely clickbait. I actually just watched this video before coming here.

Sure the cybertruck presents wonderful new ideas, and presents a definite challenge for other auto-makers in the EV segment.
However, Ford as stated by others is a massive and very complex company who has an immense history as an auto-maker. The cybertruck abso
mostly agree.
I would point out that Ford did not take bailout money the last time around, but did get a loan from the fed.

nice summary here.... https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670#fords-bailout

Ford has quite a few electric and hybrid vehicles, so they are in good shape relative to GM and others.

I wouldn't wish it on Ford at all.
It would be a huge tragedy and loss if Ford or any of the other big automakers failed.
I do however believe that the Cybertruck will hurt Ford (and all the other truck makers) sales figures and therefore hurt their bottom line.
The sales that ct does are sales that the other truck makers are going to loose.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I wouldn't wish it on Ford at all.
It would be a huge tragedy and loss if Ford or any of the other big automakers failed.
I do however believe that the Cybertruck will hurt Ford (and all the other truck makers) sales figures and therefore hurt their bottom line.
The sales that ct does are sales that the other truck makers are going to loose.
It just begets healthy competition! When Ford and GM finally launch there versions of all electric trucks we will ll be watching and comparing, i am excited to see them making the switch. WE at CyberTruck forum already know the outcome though :devilish:

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
It just begets healthy competition! When Ford and GM finally launch there versions of all electric trucks we will ll be watching and comparing, i am excited to see them making the switch. WE at CyberTruck forum already know the outcome though :devilish:
Exactly. My guess is Ford and GM will keep delaying their mass production EV pick ups for an extended period (but will produce some early versions to keep investors at bay) until they have a sufficient supply of batteries with good technology too. Apparently LG chem is coming up with their next generation batteries in a few months. They will need to make a battery factory here in USA first rather than importing batteries from China.
Having said that; Tesla needs to find location to build the factory first. Well, I will call it even for the time being.

Pluto

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ridgeline. 2002 Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One thing I think about in my lifetime . Being from Ohio as a child home of all of the tire companies . Akron had 4 monster tire companies own by Americans . The only problem was they had the tire market and never had to innovate. Life was so good for these 4 companies even held joint events. But the world changed . Michelin introduced a radial tire , I remember my dad saying na that is just for high priced cars. The end result , none of these American powerhouse companies are now owned by Americans . They were late and early very poor quality radial tires . Remember the Firestone 500

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
It all depends of Ford's ability to convert to EV's, and how many times Ford will get bailed out by the government. It isn't like the previous times, where they got bailed out, or a free loan, where their sales dipped due to high gas prices, their ICE vehicles sales are going to dip and dip and dip again. Ford fans are ford fans because no other truck is 10% better, or at least provable to them. Everything changes with EV, most people already understand that maintenance will be less, and obvious EV's will be faster. You don't have to believe me, but think of this, if Chevy had a truck that was three times faster than Ford, and had less break downs and maintenance costs, would people still be buying more Fords than Chevys? Final case, back in 70's and 80's, most people were buy american only, don't buy those Japanese cars, but slowly and surely people were drawn to the more reliable, and more fuel efficient cars. Fords only hope is to come up with an EV that is within 10 or 20% as good as Tesla's EV's.

Last edited:

Kenzy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberpunk Dual Motors
Occupation
Building Manager
Country flag
Any of the legacy auto makers will hurt if they don't get into the electric game real seriously. I have read some articles and happen to be one of the people who are chosing the Cybertruck as a first truck. We had planned on the Model Y until the Cybertruck was revealed. It is so much more vehicle for less money, and we fell in love with the concept right off the bat. I believe there is truth in the fact the Cybertruck is pulling in a large segment of buyers that wouldn't have bought a truck as their next vehicle, so I would think this would modify the "damage" it does to the legacy truck manufacturers, unless, as previously stated, they don't get serious soon enough.
Sponsored