Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Because “swing-weight” causes ‘tippy’, you don’t want more than couple hundred lbs. that high up, above CG. Rule is “If you build it – they will load it” to max! Built a rack with strong as Space Shuttle T-6 alum only to have the front wheels lift off terra firma.
In commercial contracting when it was required to haul smaller loads of length steel, wired-tied to lower control arms and underside of axel housing of truck, the alternative was pay to have it delivered to jobsite by flatbed days later.
Lots a loads were underslung and kept crews working, progress going and % of completion rolling.
I don't plan on carrying more than a couple hundred pound up there personally. That is what trailers are for. That said a low center of gravity means you could probably carry 1500 lbs up there without super dangerous performance issues. Certainly no worse than a camper.

Lack of proper tie downs kill many people each year. Rebar/slippery pipe etc need to be in some sort of enclosed tube/box.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I don't plan on carrying more than a couple hundred pound up there personally. That is what trailers are for. That said a low center of gravity means you could probably carry 1500 lbs up there without super dangerous performance issues. Certainly no worse than a camper.

Lack of proper tie downs kill many people each year. Rebar/slippery pipe etc need to be in some sort of enclosed tube/box.
Hahaha, your comment brought back a memory of my youth. Almost 45 years ago when I started as an apprentice Sheet Metal worker, I delivered material to the job sites. One day I was delivering a full load of beautiful 20' long sections of copper gutter on the roof rack, I was driving down the road and caught a yellow light at a bad timing. I slammed on the brakes and watched in horror as several sections of gutter went sliding forward, only to get about 10' out there and kink over under their own weight. I got out and slid them back into their nested bundles and proceed on to the job. Needless to say, the guy I was delivering it to was not happy. Luckily it was only a few sections and they were able to cut them down for shorter areas of the roof.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Because “swing-weight” causes ‘tippy’, you don’t want more than couple hundred lbs. that high up, above CG. Rule is “If you build it – they will load it” to max! Built a rack with strong as Space Shuttle T-6 alum only to have the front wheels lift off terra firma.
In commercial contracting when it was required to haul smaller loads of length steel, wired-tied to lower control arms and underside of axel housing of truck, the alternative was pay to have it delivered to jobsite by flatbed days later.
Lots a loads were underslung and kept crews working, progress going and % of completion rolling.
I agree in theory, but that theory applies historically to ICE trucks and hasn't been fully proven in a situation where there is a much lower CG (as in the case of the CT with adjustable air suspension). Does that difference warrant revisiting exactly how much you can stack on a rack? I'm only half joking here ;)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Can't just put 2 'bars' across on the CT, the back end is low, so it will need a raiser, and then the front and back need to be braced.
No simple solution, it is a full on rack or nothing.

I only want a bat wing :
Tesla Cybertruck Closed tonneau rack system 1659056656611

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I agree in theory, but that theory applies historically to ICE trucks and hasn't been fully proven in a situation where there is a much lower CG (as in the case of the CT with adjustable air suspension). Does that difference warrant revisiting exactly how much you can stack on a rack? I'm only half joking here ;)
The ~900# batterypack SWAG lowers CG damn near’t your feet. Air suspension convention stiffens the more air is pumped - the higher raises the body. IDK, if anyone does know, exactly what Tesla dynamic brings to the air suspension game. Were I to guess, it decouples air from shock performance, enabling lift w/o sacrificing ride quality, safety and consistent performance. But there could be something innovative and inventive to Tesla dynamic suspension game.
Regardless, once 200lbs+ stacks overhead that weight reacts much differently than trailer weight on the hitch. Polar diagram the center of your chart at CG, plot the two distances and arc resultant sway of both. Those two arcs would never equal however much battery sits at CG and whatever dynamic counter force reduces the overhead arc it remains. Why?
The O.H. arc must actuated dynamic counter measure tech. Simply it begins sway, lean or loading the suspension. Then dynamics counter.
SO at the end of the exercise, truck will still load-up the suspension and like a skatboard “truk” turn the front wheels in the direction of the force loading the suspension.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm putting this here :

Just watching 'The Tesla space' (I recommend) , it occurred to me that simple mass-produced solar tile could be modified to make a solar tonneau cover super affordable.

We are concerned about inflation. Adding fuel to the fire, I reckon it will be a standard feature.
If optioned, it will replace the manufacturing cost of an existing cover. I don't think upgrade would be overly expensive.

Solar tile is strong, and this video starts with weights dropping on a solar tile. Doesn't break, and looks strong enough to stand on.. which they do.

I'm so convinced, I'm calling it breaking news lol

We can add the + back to the 500.

Sponsored