Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Is there a point of some kind you are trying to make or are you just wasting our time? Everything in the post is from 2021 and long since dismissed as BS. Given what is comng up in about 24 hours we do not need to reenter this discussion.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I counted only one error and one good point.

Error 1: " There are two seating configurations: Five seats, with two front seats flanking a large center armrest with storage and two cupholders, and six seats with a front bench."

This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm pretty sure they're wrong. The front center seatback folds down to form a center console/armrest, but there is only one configuration available, unless CR defines flipping a seatback up/down as two configurations.

Good Point 1: "We hope the production model will have a gate that is also side-hinged, like on the Honda Ridgeline, to allow access to that underfloor bin."

Indeed, it could prove difficult to access the under-bed bin with the tailgate in the way.
I agree that the tailgate should open sideways as well... Otherwise, you'd be on your belly reaching the under-bed storage.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The Cybertruck will have some structural steel that is not Stainless. I don't think much of it will be exposed to the elements directly though. Seems like some parts of the suspension would be steel though. It'll definitely be 99% less rust, but might need to watch those few parts or end up with a shiny truck that falls apart.
I bet around 30% (by weight or volume) of the steel on the truck will be ferrous. Obviuosly the exterior exoskeleton will be stainless but there is no way they are stamping all the interior body parts out of stainless and oh yay the entire strucutral battery pack top and bottom is stamped steel so there is that too. All that white in the image below- stamped steel. The people that are still clinging onto some rumor of this somehow being a 100% stainless truck are going to be in for a surprise. They are gluing stainless panels on an aluminum and ferrous steel interior body and frame. The stainless is only the "exo" skeleton as in exterior. So I agree with you completely. Tesla isnt dumb enough to put stainless where is doesnt count and in this case the exterior, primarily for the paintless and wow factor.

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck 1677613413989

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Consumer Reports has long sold themselves out and made themselves irrelevant, except to people who are uninformed, naive, and won't do their own research (which is why they remain uniformed and naive).

- ÆCIII

Big Duke 6

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 3500, Ford F550, M998
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I bet around 30% (by weight or volume) of the steel on the truck will be ferrous. Obviuosly the exterior exoskeleton will be stainless but there is no way they are stamping all the interior body parts out of stainless and oh yay the entire strucutral battery pack top and bottom is stamped steel so there is that too. All that white in the image below- stamped steel. The people that are still clinging onto some rumor of this somehow being a 100% stainless truck are going to be in for a surprise. They are gluing stainless panels on an aluminum and ferrous steel interior body and frame. The stainless is only the "exo" skeleton as in exterior. So I agree with you completely. Tesla isnt dumb enough to put stainless where is doesnt count and in this case the exterior, primarily for the paintless and wow factor.

1677613413989.png
Have you seen this analysis

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Have you seen this analysis

I just watched most of it. Everything he said is correct. The huge incredible omission this "engineer" made is how you actually transfer all those exoskeleton load to make it actually work. there are gaps all over that exoskeleton. how do you transfer loads on exoskeleton panels with a gap. He mentions pin joints around 19:10 in the video and he glosses right over it. The body of the truck doesn't have pin connections. So how do they transfer all those torsion and lateral and towing loads through to the exoskeleton. Are they going to weld tabs or connections all over the interior of those panels. When you weld to steel it makes the steel look funky and it would take a lot of buffing and polishing to get it to look right again, which would far exceed the cost to paint the truck.

They aren't welding anything to those panels. So how to transfer the load. You need large interior plates and the only reasonable assumption would be that they will use structural adhesives if they aren't going to weld. Those large interior plates need to be shaped and have specific attachment points etc. and they don't necessarily need to be stainless as the structural adhesive can also act as a galvanic corrosion inhibitor. Why pay for interior structural components to be stainless if they dont need to be. They wont. So essentially with the numerous exterior panels needing to attach to something and countless interior components needing to attach to something you end up realizing that they will likely have a substantial interior steel body with is very clear in that leaked image.

Also, if those stainless panels were taking so much of the load why do they have a massive interior aluminum gusset? I didn't engineer the truck. I didn't engineer the truck but I am very impressed with the engineering. I have a structural engineering degree and a lot of experience with engineering so I know what I am looking at. I have been posting for years to debunk the notion that the CT will be some fully stainless truck. It is a well designed type of unibody truck that happens to have stainless exterior panels that act as a composite body with an interior steel and aluminum frame. Its not a stainless steel truss or a completely stainless steel unibody.

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck 1677616267745
Sponsored