Should we expect the Cybertruck to get terrible reviews?

OP
OP
CyberSleuth

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
Do you think there's an aspect of anti-Tesla sentiment that is connected to the brand's perceived "aspirational" price tags?
Is the general public more likely to revel in the destruction or faults of a $75k car vs a $19k car?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As we've all been watching firsthand, the mainstream media's coverage of Elon Musk/Tesla has completely flipped in the past year or so.

He's gone from Person of the Year saving the world with a Midas touch, to a "controversial" figure that is slammed in the press just about every day.

Should we expect the mainstream car reviewers to continue this trend with the Cybertruck?

Will brands like Motortrend, Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, Edmunds etc. be unbiased in their coverage?

Where's the first source you'll turn to for an honest review of the Cybertruck?
Do you even care what they say? I certainly don't. All that I care about is that the CT be what Elon originally presented at the unveiling, or better, and the media, for whatever reason, has been stabbing Tesla and the Cybertruck in the back ever since while not knowing much of anything about anything the entire time. Personally I am sick of it.

Big Duke 6

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 3500, Ford F550, M998
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you even care what they say? I certainly don't. All that I care about is that the CT be what Elon originally presented at the unveiling, or better, and the media, for whatever reason, has been stabbing Tesla and the Cybertruck in the back ever since while not knowing much of anything about anything the entire time. Personally I am sick of it.
I only care what they say because there are a lot of stupid/ignorant people on the news that will report the misleading stories. Just like the Recall BS. I have a Jeep and a Ford that has current recalls on them and the dealers don’t have the parts of won’t even return my phone calls.
when CNBS ie cnbc reports fake news that they know is incorrect it effects the stock price

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Respectfully disagree. I think I understand the point just fine, I just don’t agree with the point to the same degree as you.

And that’s fine, differences of opinion are relevant to the point. I admit to having more Tesla skepticism than you (it’s a professional hazard of mine). So, when I look at some articles the valence of their critiques isn’t as great for me as when you read the same article. And in return, surely you’d admit to being less skeptical of Tesla than the average consumer - and in kind the valence of criticisms registers that much greater to you.

That’s not to discount, as I said in the last post, that there’s not shoddy, clickbait, etc., articles that can be found. But I suppose neither of us care to do the actual meta analysis of all articles from and agreed class of sources for both Tesla and a competitor. (If that’s out there, cool to see it.)

So we’re left each with our biases and separate datasets, rather than any objective grasp on a “truth.”

So from there, to your release day headlines about the CT being a “joke,” from what to me are obviously biased (muscle car mag?) or clickbaity (Mashable?) stories, when I search for release day articles the first three google come up with:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/21/tesla-cybertruck-unveiled.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/11/23/cars/cybertruck-tesla-preorders/index.html

All pretty balanced reporting to me. (I mean, you can’t not mention the window breaking at least.)

And so maybe the response is “that was then this now” and “how about the Ford battery fire” which, according to your prior post, no one mentions - but when I google it I get dozens of articles, still updating for the production hood extension - including the main article/original article from CNBC in which I was a cited source (not by name).

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/02/17/ford-f-150-lightning-ev-issues-battery-fire.html

And btw, when I google about the fire, it incidentally gives me articles about how Ford is the #1 in recalls, is poisoning people in the Amazon, it’s use of “cheap” batteries, etc.

So while fully “understanding” your contrary opinion, I nonetheless don’t share it. I think the media broadly speaking is generally click-baity, and I think that wildly pro-Tesla people have no less optical distortion than wildly pro-Ford people.

For every moment I spend on this forum *feeling* I’m injection some rational input towards the former, I’m conversely on the Lightning forum injecting the same (intended) contrary input towards that group.

The two groups have a lot more in common than dissimilar.
Your skepticism is mirrored by the vast majority of the population. I would filter out all media "reporters" that do not own Teslas, first, because they are reading or copying other's views and so there is no first-hand knowledge. Iould then filter out any reports from media sources that have demonstrated a bias, such as CR. I would then talk to people who own Teslas and ask them their views and experiences with them. There will be positives and negatives but at least it is real data. Then I would suggest driving a Tesla and comparing your experiences with what you learned from people you spoke with.

The sad reality is that the media cannot be trusted to report on BEVs objectively, and definitely not Tesla. Why is hard to say but it is true. When my sister sent me some of the links you shared I tried to dispute them point by point, because she would benefit from owning a BEV, but she believes the media and is not critical, so she continues to drive and buy ICE cars and would probably buy a Ford, VW, or other legacy auto aker's BEV if she ever did get a BEV due exclusively to the media portrayal of same.

This is what I get from almost everyone, but I see more and more Teslas on the road all the time, and mediaaside that has to tell you something. We would all like to see unbiased reporting about BEVs and Tesla but that is clearly some way out, and in the interim you and everyone else are just going to have to do some homework or suffer the result of poor decisions. The media is ceratinly not doing anyone any favors and is just slowing the adoption of BEVs and the transition to sustainable energy.

Personally, I tire of trying to sing the praises of BEVs and Tesla. I love mine and screw everyone else.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
But I can’t say that I see it disproportionately directed at Tesla or the CT, in any way unbefitting a company and product that by their intended nature draw strong opinions. I mean, just look at the CT. Does it look like a people-pleaser?
Dan O'Doud literally spent millions on a Superbowl ad that was ANTI-Tesla. Other than vehicle manufacturers besting each other, do you recall an anti-vehicle commercial that WASN'T aimed at Tesla in recent memory. (Ralph Nadar's "Unsafe at any Speed" is the only one I can think of and most weren't even alive when that got published)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I only care what they say because there are a lot of stupid/ignorant people on the news that will report the misleading stories. Just like the Recall BS. I have a Jeep and a Ford that has current recalls on them and the dealers don’t have the parts of won’t even return my phone calls.
when CNBS ie cnbc reports fake news that they know is incorrect it effects the stock price
True, but that is because Wall Street is part of the media machine. Someday Tesla sales will be so huge that they won't be able to hold the stock value back any more. I look forward to that day as a giant "@#$& you" to all of them (not as an investorbut as someone that wants to see some payback against ignorance).

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I can already see two;
-huge blind spots due to solid sail shaped rear quarter panels
-front end is hard to judge distance when parking due to hood sloping down
LOL... one HUGE blindspot when you have the vault closed... You'll wish you could see the sail pillars!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There is NO anti Tesla sentiment

Cannot be everything to everyone. This applies to every individual or organization in the world.

'Anti Tesla Sentiment' , is the machinations of 'Anti Tesla propaganda.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Respectfully disagree. I think I understand the point just fine, I just don’t agree with the point to the same degree as you.

And that’s fine, differences of opinion are relevant to the point. I admit to having more Tesla skepticism than you (it’s a professional hazard of mine). So, when I look at some articles the valence of their critiques isn’t as great for me as when you read the same article. And in return, surely you’d admit to being less skeptical of Tesla than the average consumer - and in kind the valence of criticisms registers that much greater to you.

That’s not to discount, as I said in the last post, that there’s not shoddy, clickbait, etc., articles that can be found. But I suppose neither of us care to do the actual meta analysis of all articles from and agreed class of sources for both Tesla and a competitor. (If that’s out there, cool to see it.)

So we’re left each with our biases and separate datasets, rather than any objective grasp on a “truth.”

So from there, to your release day headlines about the CT being a “joke,” from what to me are obviously biased (muscle car mag?) or clickbaity (Mashable?) stories, when I search for release day articles the first three google come up with:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/21/tesla-cybertruck-unveiled.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/11/23/cars/cybertruck-tesla-preorders/index.html

All pretty balanced reporting to me. (I mean, you can’t not mention the window breaking at least.)

And so maybe the response is “that was then this now” and “how about the Ford battery fire” which, according to your prior post, no one mentions - but when I google it I get dozens of articles, still updating for the production hood extension - including the main article/original article from CNBC in which I was a cited source (not by name).

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/02/17/ford-f-150-lightning-ev-issues-battery-fire.html

And btw, when I google about the fire, it incidentally gives me articles about how Ford is the #1 in recalls, is poisoning people in the Amazon, it’s use of “cheap” batteries, etc.

So while fully “understanding” your contrary opinion, I nonetheless don’t share it. I think the media broadly speaking is generally click-baity, and I think that wildly pro-Tesla people have no less optical distortion than wildly pro-Ford people.

For every moment I spend on this forum *feeling* I’m injection some rational input towards the former, I’m conversely on the Lightning forum injecting the same (intended) contrary input towards that group.

The two groups have a lot more in common than dissimilar.
I agree that human behaviour is more common and universal than we think, despite us wanting to be different, culture persists, as we live in dead men ideologies. A giant mirror would sometimes help so we can see ourselves and the entirety of our egos. (I speak to myself here as well)

But now I must ask the obvious question: why do you use google still?

It is by its very nature a confirmation bias engine based on its search algorithm trying to pre-empt your query, whilst trying to bind it to the most popular, if not most incorrect result.
It's a scientists worst nightmare.

There's so much stuff I don't find, I use alternatives and meta searches, even abroad and in different languages, for better results. Especially the SEO and advertising screws everything up. It's actually surprising how much we trust it blindly in every day use. Although we pose the question to Google, it is not providing the answer itself, just a link to an answer provided by someone else, we don't know, or understand.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I think when reviewers get over the polarizing looks, and step inside and actually use it for what its meant for, things will be on the positive I'm sure. The electric truck market bar is not set that high tbh. CT needs to be priced competitively and be more efficient which Tesla has been doing for years now. When final specs are out I'm sure it will beat majority of specs from other manufacturers at every trim level. Other manufacturers are prob scared to death of CT start of production. Although Tesla is late to the game, we should be able to gain substantial market share by end of year 1.
the CT isn't late to the game as no one has started the game.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
But now I must ask the obvious question: why do use google still?
….
It's a scientists worst nightmare.
I don’t go to the internet at all if I’m trying to “do science.”

But if I’m wasting countless hours of my life on my iphone, google is native to safari. *shrugs*

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
I kind of hope people don't like it so there aren't that many lol. As far as critics and reviewers the only opinions I respect are Doug DeMuro, the Forrest guy on TikTok, and MKBHD on YT. The rest are kind of lame
Sponsored