Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is bothersome that they say so many things that simply aren't true (such as the late 2022 statement)
In fairness, that is clearly an opinion and one many here on the forums share. Right now it's in the realm of uncertainty. Like Schrödinger's truck, until Musk opens the box, we just don't know if the truck is alive or dead...

... wait I mean we don't know how late it is.
Sponsored

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
In fairness, that is clearly an opinion and one many here on the forums share. Right now it's in the realm of uncertainty. Like Schrödinger's truck, until Musk opens the box, we just don't know if the truck is alive or dead...

... wait I mean we don't know how late it is.
And so we await the Great Cybertruck Decoherence Event.

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I’ve not read a positive review on any Tesla product from CR. My guess? They’re all shorting the stock. No better than Jalopnick’s biased BS ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Thx for keeping me honest! I was just remembering being upset lol
Thanks for reminding me about it! Apparently it led to Consumer Reports being more straightforward in their reviews... At least for almost twenty years and now they're back to cutting corners.

The new Model S looks like a concept car in person. It's just... nothing on it is ostentatious. It's all there for what it does.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
If I were Tesla I wouldn't be anxious to provide them one given all of the bad press they have provided.
CR doesn't test vehicles loaned by the maker -- they buy them anonymously on the open market just like you and me. But unless they had one of their people reserve one at the outset, it may be years before their turn comes up (though their predicted production-start date of late 2022 seems pretty fanciful).

CR was my "go to" source for decades. No longer -- after reading this travesty of theirs.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I’ve not read a positive review on any Tesla product from CR. My guess? They’re all shorting the stock. No better than Jalopnick’s biased BS ?
I think their initial review of one of the sedans was a pretty unqualified rave.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Beware: Consumer Reports is NOT for consumers like it sounds, but rather for their customers, i.e. the companies that pay them to get good reports from them.

I ran into this when they gave a engine company a top score, but in fact this company ripped me off for for thousands of dollars with multiple defective engines. When questioned about this, Consumer Reports refused to downgrade this company even when I had solid evidence of fraud that they could see was true.
I hope Tesla didn’t pay them for that hit job.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Beware of CR! Consumer Reports is NOT for consumers like it sounds, but rather for their customers, i.e. the companies that pay them to get good reports from them.
Your statement is incorrect. Consumer Reports is not directly funded by manufacturers, like Edmunds or JD Powers. Nor indirectly like Motor Trends or Car and Driver.

They are only funded by their subscribers and their non-profit. Which is why they're stuck for these clickbait reactions... They have a different problem. I can see the confusion, it's easy enough, all of them have motives and money that require them to sometimes do 'what bleeds, leads' instead of good journalism and say, 'yes, this isn't bleeding'.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Everyone loves to rate only the vehicle and not the dealership’s service department. The attitude of the service department is the other half of the buying experience in owning a vehicle from them.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Your statement is incorrect. Consumer Reports is not directly funded by manufacturers, like Edmunds or JD Powers. Nor indirectly like Motor Trends or Car and Driver.

They are only funded by their subscribers and their non-profit. Which is why they're stuck for these clickbait reactions... They have a different problem. I can see the confusion, it's easy enough, all of them have motives and money that require them to sometimes do 'what bleeds, leads' instead of good journalism and say, 'yes, this isn't bleeding'.

-Crissa
They do receive allocations from various organizations including the Ford Foundation. Henry Ford III is on the board of trustees at the Ford Foundation...

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2018-annual-report/donors/index.htm

Now saying that, does that mean anything underhanded is going on... No... I'm sure the Ford Foundation does lots of good things, just like the Alfred P Sloan Foundation's ties to the oil industry in no one cast any aspersions on their great work...

Does it make me skeptical about how unbiased CR is... absolutely.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Ford Foundation is not the Ford Automotive company. They are different companies with different sources of money. The Ford Foundation gets its money from the original members of the Ford family, ones that no longer work at Ford.

That's like saying the business Grandpa founded when he retired is paying for ads for the business that the Grandchild is took over. That's ridiculous. And it would be highly corrupt and a violation of federal law for non-profits to act on behalf of a for-profit company.

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The Ford Foundation is not the Ford Automotive company. They are different companies with different sources of money. The Ford Foundation gets its money from the original members of the Ford family, ones that no longer work at Ford.

That's like saying the business Grandpa founded when he retired is paying for ads for the business that the Grandchild is took over. That's ridiculous. And it would be highly corrupt and a violation of federal law for non-profits to act on behalf of a for-profit company.

-Crissa
I know, and I’m not saying there is evidence of wrong doing. I’m still skeptical, not because of the name and it’s origins but because of the board members.

I consider this healthy skepticism Crissa. Much more corrupt and illegal things have happened.

Is it completely unbelievable that their could be pressure to support the traditional automotive industry? I don’t think so.

Honestly the sheer amount of FUD spread by large publications and the media makes me wary, I feel there is tobacco/oil industry like manipulation of public opinion.

I would be happy to be wrong about CR.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Occam's razor, and all: It's just simpler to note they rely upon subscribers/donations for their cash flow, so getting headlines is important to them.

There doesn't need to be any cabal and hidden money to motivate their sloppiness.

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Occam's razor, and all: It's just simpler to note they rely upon subscribers/donations for their cash flow, so getting headlines is important to them.

There doesn't need to be any cabal and hidden money to motivate their sloppiness.

-Crissa
You may well be right.
Sponsored