Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I think I finally figured out why the press coverage of Electric Trucks is so weird

Consumer Reports is being literal here. They don't actually believe Tesla is going to deliver the truck with the features they promised at the price they promised.

The automotive media is treating Ford's announcement as if it is a product release sheet and Tesla's as if it's some kind of promotional concept vehicle and the actual vehicle is going to be announced later. Nobody compares the Ford to the Tesla because you don't bother comparing a "Production" vehicle to a concept vehicle.

So even though Tesla announced their truck first and pricing first, "Ford" is changing the Electric truck market with their revolutionary pricing, etc etc. Tesla... has a concept truck.

It sounds stupid, but when you view the coverage like that, it all makes a lot more sense.

I see something more sinister because the odd media coverage extends to EVs in general, especially Tesla's.

You see it on the major TV networks, many online publications, print media etc. So much FUD...
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It sounds stupid, but when you view the coverage like that, it all makes a lot more sense.
Yeah.

This is why it is so important for the Cybertruck (and vehicles like the Aptera and Arcimoto and the leaning bikes and and and....) to get made.

We need to crush the argument from personal incredulity. Just because they can't imagine it doesn't mean it can't exist. ( https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity )

-Crissa

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck 5C126956-12D8-45E7-A2F5-100F73B18778

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...nt-a-not-so-subtle-message-to-faa-regulators/

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Who reads consumer report anymore?? I haven't trusted a word they say since the 90s Suzuki samurai lies. They were proven guilty of intentionally defaming the samurai to boost Wrangler sales.
Don't even get me started on their garbage software reviews.

Their misquoting of Elon and the Tesla website is just more of their tedious nonsense. Where did all the good reporters go? You know, the ones that report the truth and check their facts?

I do like the IIHS for safety reviews, at least they stick to a scientific rigor and simply report the data. For user reviews, it's best to just go drive it yourself or talk to someone you know that owns it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Where did all the good reporters go? You know, the ones that report the truth and check their facts?
The problem is not the reporters.

If the media outlet (paper/mag/web site) owners wanted good & honest reporters the media outlet would employee them.

The type of output you see is what the owners and the editors want.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Who reads consumer report anymore?? I haven't trusted a word they say since the 90s Suzuki samurai lies. They were proven guilty of intentionally defaming the samurai to boost Wrangler sales.
That is not what happened.

A jury found that they had been misleading that it was more likely to tip - not that they did it to help or hurt any sales. And they were never required to pay damages.

And looking at the evidence, it seems like the Suzuki was more likely to overturn than the Wrangler, just that their testing found both to be risks, without the resolution to say one was worse than the other.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-90s-scandal-consumer-reports-hopes-you-forgot-about/

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Their reporting on overriding the driver detection mechanisms for Autopilot was a prime example of their desire for click bait articles, especially given how it was timed right after a crash and fire that killed all occupants of a Model S. This article was just more of the same. Ooooh, let's make up some ridiculous article because anything with Cybertruck in it will spike traffic.
That was crappy click bait. Not worthy of them. They did not even wait for the charred bodies to cool before they did it, leaving new meaning to “Hot off the presses.” We all know that it was shown that the people in the accident did not have Autopilot engaged, nor circumvented it. Any system can be circumvented.

I think I finally figured out why the press coverage of Electric Trucks is so weird

Consumer Reports is being literal here. They don't actually believe Tesla is going to deliver the truck with the features they promised at the price they promised.
CR is not alone. There are plenty of car mag writers who think and say the same thing. I’ve posted their articles myself.

Let’s be honest. There are plenty of people who attended the event and thought it was a joke. They may still think it. This is one way-out-there design. It is so far from normal that it is beyond comprehension of some people. These are the people who just don’t get it. That’s fine. Once there is 1 million of these things driving around the streets of the United States they will then get it. And as these drive and drive and drive and last and last they might finally comprehend how blinded they were. Just as so many people in the mid-1800s couldn’t comprehend someone taking a wagon from comfortable civilization in the east to terrifying frontiers in the middle and West, it is similar now that a design is confounding others. We have all drank the CT Kool-Aid, we get it.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
That is not what happened.

A jury found that they had been misleading that it was more likely to tip - not that they did it to help or hurt any sales. And they were never required to pay damages.

And looking at the evidence, it seems like the Suzuki was more likely to overturn than the Wrangler, just that their testing found both to be risks, without the resolution to say one was worse than the other.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-90s-scandal-consumer-reports-hopes-you-forgot-about/

-Crissa
Thx for keeping me honest! I was just remembering being upset lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Let’s be honest. There are plenty of people who attended the event and thought it was a joke. They may still think it. This is one way-out-there design. It is so far from normal that it is beyond comprehension of some people. These are the people who just don’t get it.
I can understand a person on the street feeling like this is some kind of weird promotion.

From a paid journalist, I cannot. It is their actual job to know this stuff.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
CR: HEY LOOK AT US!!! WE'RE STILL RELEVANT! NO SERIOUSLY LOOK OVER HERE!!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
CR says they will test the CT. It may be awhile before they can get their hands on one. Maybe a few years.....
If I were Tesla I wouldn't be anxious to provide them one given all of the bad press they have provided.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It is bothersome that they say so many things that simply aren't true (such as the late 2022 statement) along with a few things (such as Tesla making good on their performance predictions); it makes them seem credible when, in fact, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. I am tired of so-called journalism which is simply made up of people copying and pasting content from other unvalidated sources. It is the top-end of fake news. I would welcome anything that is real news. Anything. I am starved for it. But not this crap. And to say that Tesla has to make good and build the CT when there are NO electric trucks being delivered yet is unconscionable. They pit the CT against a few trucks that have had previews (and some that haven't) but Tesla is more likely to go into production than just about all of the others, and they 'all' face the same chip and battery issues. Shame on CR, again.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
It is bothersome that they say so many things that simply aren't true (such as the late 2022 statement) along with a few things (such as Tesla making good on their performance predictions); it makes them seem credible when, in fact, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. I am tired of so-called journalism which is simply made up of people copying and pasting content from other unvalidated sources. It is the top-end of fake news. I would welcome anything that is real news. Anything. I am starved for it. But not this crap. And to say that Tesla has to make good and build the CT when there are NO electric trucks being delivered yet is unconscionable. They pit the CT against a few trucks that have had previews (and some that haven't) but Tesla is more likely to go into production than just about all of the others, and they 'all' face the same chip and battery issues. Shame on CR, again.
HAHA, you should have seen the KBB specs before they fixed it. It was pretty bad. They've since corrected it, but it's clear the writer fundamentally dislikes the truck. At least now it's factual.
Sponsored