Crystal Ball check: what hardware changes / improvements coming to Cybertruck?

CyberExperience

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
flyingmpartners.com
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon, Chevy, Porsche , BMW GS, SeaBreezeLX
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I too just received the you are a winner email to configure your Cybertruck. When I placed my reservation back in Nov of 2019, it was priced at something like $49,000 plus $7500 for FSD. Now the Foundation Series is $98,000. Being an average Joe, that is a lot of cash to drop on a truck that I really do not need.

With my crystal ball in the shop, I am wondering what changes Tesla has up their sleeve as far as hardware changes go. For example the range is something we can all agree we wish was better. What would happen if around the end of the year, say for the 2025 model year Tesla comes out with an improved battery pack that improves range by 100 or more miles. Would we be sitting in a brick we now can sell unless we give it away?

I understand that vehicle manufacturers always make changes to their product line, but those changes generally do not make an impact like a new battery pack that can get way more miles. Just wondering what the risk is to us first model year buyers. Are we at a big risk or is the unique nature of the Cybertruck enough to limit depreciation?
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The Foundation is definitely going to have steep depreciation the second year as trucks become more available and less FOMO.

-Crissa
100%

Plan on using as it comes out for quite a while or taking a bath on swapping for a new one with improvements (or trading for something else). I pre meditated the latter with my later CT reservations - not a smart financial move, but my situation allows a bit of stupidity! Foundation Series number in the 1000's apparently so that doesn't buy you anything either.

Bottom like be happy with the truck as is now or pay the price later to change!

elyliu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck AWD, Model X 90D, Model 3 AWD
Country flag
With my crystal ball, I don't foresee Tesla pushing range that much higher on CT. Elon has said in the past that the range wars is a bit silly since people don't need all that range on a regular basis and you are just lugging an extra large battery around for no reason (which also hurts efficiency).

I am guessing it'll be a few years before major changes to CT. (See Model 3 Highland)

Buy now and enjoy it!

bwhntr78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, MYP, MY
Country flag
With my crystal ball, I don't foresee Tesla pushing range that much higher on CT. Elon has said in the past that the range wars is a bit silly since people don't need all that range on a regular basis and you are just lugging an extra large battery around for no reason (which also hurts efficiency).

I am guessing it'll be a few years before major changes to CT. (See Model 3 Highland)

Buy now and enjoy it!
That argument makes a lot of sense for a performance or commuter car, and even holds weight for a road tripper given a robust charging network. So far that seems to be the real target audience of the CT. Converting current Tesla owners into "truck" drivers. That plan will continue to work for a while, but to convert many current truck owners into CT buyers, the range is going to have to increase. I selfishly hope that happens sooner than later, but I'm becoming increasingly less confident in that. I need my truck for towing, and current range just doesn't work for me.

elyliu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck AWD, Model X 90D, Model 3 AWD
Country flag
That argument makes a lot of sense for a performance or commuter car, and even holds weight for a road tripper given a robust charging network. So far that seems to be the real target audience of the CT. Converting current Tesla owners into "truck" drivers. That plan will continue to work for a while, but to convert many current truck owners into CT buyers, the range is going to have to increase. I selfishly hope that happens sooner than later, but I'm becoming increasingly less confident in that. I need my truck for towing, and current range just doesn't work for me.
That's a fair point. None of the EV truck options are great for towing at the moment.

It would be cool if the CT battery extender can be installed/removed by yourself, so you can only install it when you need the extra range. And maybe an option to hotswap them at some supercharger stations.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
checking...
Tesla Cybertruck Crystal Ball check: what hardware changes / improvements coming to Cybertruck? giphy[1]

-Range stays the same, maybe they can squeeze out 25 more miles in a year or two, but no more than that. I doubt there will be a completely different pack with 100+ miles.
-The infotainment hardware i could see being bumped. Paid retrofit would be an option i assume.
-Suspension could get electronic quick disconnect sway bars for even more off-roading capabilities.
-more interior options, all white perhaps.

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
Per Ford's survey, more than half of the Lightning buyers were not previous pickup owners. I imagine the same, or more, will be true for the CT. Funnily enough, though, the same survey shows that Lightning buyers actually do truck stuff more frequently than the average F150 buyer. There's a reason pickups have been the most popular vehicle in the US for years - they just come in handy.

My guess at this point is that the Silverado EV and Ram Revolution are more likely to convert people who use pickups as trucks on a regular basis to EVs. Time is money and taking time to frequently recharge adds up. The yards/offices where the trucks get parked, at this point, don't have overnight charging setups for every vehicle so being able to go days without charging makes them money.

And, I think that they might also get even more non-pickup buyers than the Lightning and CT just because the longer range/charge rate makes the truck more like an ICE vehicle experience where you don't need to be concerned about charging.

Elon is a smart dude but I think it has all gone to his head and his range comments exemplify that. If you are marketing a product, you need to think like a buyer, not an engineer. True, most of us don't need 400 mile ranges and don't even get that in a lot of our ICE vehicles. However, until the charging network experience becomes truly seamless like refueling is for ICE vehicles it is important for EVs to eliminate that pain point for people who consider vehicles an appliance. We aren't all Kyle Connor willing to drive 100 miles from charger to charger in order to best utilize the charging curve.

OP
OP
CyberExperience

CyberExperience

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
flyingmpartners.com
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon, Chevy, Porsche , BMW GS, SeaBreezeLX
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I hope I don't hate myself some day in the future, but I am leaning at passing on a CT for now. One of the boxes it needs to check off is being able to tow my 24 foot enclosed trailer that carries either motorcycles or a car and the limited mileage towing with a CT will make multi-state trips long, and expensive. Change my mind.
Sponsored