Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Luckily for Tesla.. Honda is lightyears behind in the EV market. But I agree about everything. I was so looking forward to ditching my short bed ridgeline v1 in favor of a truck with a real bed that can be useful without compromises and bandaid workarounds.
Sponsored

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
I don't think they ever will make a larger bed with a 4 door. There is also the cybervan which will satisfy a lot of people and then the wolverine if the reduced size and 4ws hasn't reduced the requirement to make that.

I would like to see the stats, but the 5.5 and 6.5 beds are way more popular than a full size bed. Maybe tesla could do a 2 door extended cab with a full size bed on the same wheelbase.
I have an 8’ bed, extended cab, work truck. I am always surprised when contractors express desire for my truck, willing to trade their 5.5 leather four door for my 8’ vinyl. The short beds are popular because manufacturers made them available. Long beds are typically at rural farm dealers or available by special order But not typically in stock at big dealers. Just my observation.

JollyRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini-Cooper S Cab
Country flag
Edit:

The bed measures 60 inches, give or take using this app.

If the tire is bigger it would mean the bed is bigger, it is also at a slight angle. I also don't know if the shrouding is cutting off any of the bed.

Screenshot_20211212-130717_Ruler.jpg
You're measuring to the edge of the overhang. You should realize that there is a roof over part of the bed which invalidates your measuement.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I was looking at the whole "how long" can the bed conundrum under the "time of use" metric, being
essentially that having something that you rarely use does not add value, if at the same time you are paying extra for it.

Now with the bed I see two clear methods of accommodating a greater bed length, without having to continuously drive the larger bed around or add any parasitic cost for doing so:

1)
The midgate: Folding the rear seat over, and then collapsing under the bed height would be a fairly easy mechanism and is done in many SUV's. Folding the front bed wall into the cab can also be done with a simple hinge and lock, and proper door seals around the edge of the opening for NHVS.

The vault cover rail could stay attached to the sidewalls if need be, but either way the cover would either need to be fully stowed or fully closed in order to enable the midgate to fold down. You want to be able to use the extra length for loading gear whilst the midgate and vault is open, and also allow for camping or transport of more sensitive things with the vault closed and the midgate open.

The midgate also allows some flexibility in the configuration of a camper, and also seems the most least intrusive way to accommodate a larger bed without structurally changing to much on the vehicle frame. It does however mean you loose the functionality of the 3 rear seats, which I think is an acceptable inconvenience given that a cab full of people and extra bed length would be fairly uncommon at the same time. You could at least work around it, or if you are really that desperate for both at the same time it would become more interesting to tow a trailer.

The other thing is that the folded over midgate is not flat and has a z curve, meaning that as a bed extension this would not work well, especially because the "bump" would bend long loads etc. The way to avoid this would be to make the midgate straight and get rid of the z curve, which would also mean the rear window would be able to slide down into the midgate, making for another passthru option to the vault from the cab. The other thing here is that in the cab there most definitely needs to be a load stop to stop the load from injuring passengers in the first row. This would be possible with something that folds up out of the open midgate, but it's getting more and more complex now.

2)
The slideout tailgate: This option would also work, in that the tailgate would pull out like a slideout draw, and would include a covered telescoping floor and potentially also two black telescoping sidewalls that would come out of the sails. In fact the Vault rail could even follow it out and stay attached to the tailgate too. This option obviously affords full use of the cabin for people, and also provided a longer bed on occasion. It does still come with compromises though, being that it has to be structural, to the capacity of the bed, which increases weight and reduces range etc. and it also limits access to the towball should you happen to want to tow at the same time.

Of the two I somehow still prefer the midgate over the tailgate slideout because it remains inside the vehicle, but obviously the slideout tailgate would just open up more slide on camper options.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
You're measuring to the edge of the overhang. You should realize that there is a roof over part of the bed which invalidates your measuement.
That's why I mentioned shrouding cutting off the view of the bed and it being at an angle. If anything it just means that bed is AT LEAST 5 feet, if it's using bigger tires or has substantial shrouding from the overhang and the edges then it can easily be 6 foot.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Great idea in making a quick buck with those reservation money and possibly not having anything in return. I'm sure it says in there that it might not go into production. Maybe I should have thought of this for 50 million!

Love the video in that unfinished garage lol
If they have approximately 2,000 reservations at approximately $100 per reservation, then they got a starting amount around $200K. Granted that isn't chump change but it isn't $50M either. I have one of those reservations and was happy to plunk it down to see what they would/could do with it in return for a $5K break on the price if they ever build it and if I ever want it.

bruce91748

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now-M3 RWD, Taycan CT4 Past-MS90D,BMW i3,Polestar2
Country flag
Edit:

I downloaded an app and assumed it that the truck has TRD tires on it, which are 30 inch diameter. The bed measures 60 inches, give or take using this app.

If the tire is bigger it would mean the bed is bigger, it is also at a slight angle. I also don't know if the shrouding is cutting off any of the bed.
My Jeep Gladiator comes with 32" tires and can take 33" tires easily and since the CT is larger, I'd think those tires are at least 33" in diameter so with 10% larger diameter, the bed would most likely be at least 66", or a 5'5" bed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am a bit confused about this question. From the unveiling the Cybertruck is supposed to have 35" tires (wheel size unspecified), so why all the questions about tires being any other size? And the advertised bed size is 6.5'. If there is an overhang on the prototype in last week's video unless Tesla updates the bed size I would not put much credence into any other size than what Tesla said in the unveiling.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I will be in the market for truck camper when I get my Cybertruck. But not on that ugly contraption. Just looking at it gives me the thought that it will be space-challenged inside.

I'm also pretty sure that Lance will come up with the product as soon as they find out the cab dimensions and the official gross weight.

@Crissa is right, Pulling a trailer has some vast inconveniences although I already hit the sweet spot with design, space, beds (6) and appliances with my current RV. Still with it's smallish size, we've skipped some destinations and stops where road conditions and parking poses limitations. Wifey just need to give up her sofa and full size ref, lol.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am a bit confused about this question. From the unveiling the Cybertruck is supposed to have 35" tires (wheel size unspecified), so why all the questions about tires being any other size? And the advertised bed size is 6.5'. If there is an overhang on the prototype in last week's video unless Tesla updates the bed size I would not put much credence into any other size than what Tesla said in the unveiling.
People are letting their fears lead them to conclusions based on sketchy evidence. Seems like no matter what happens, someone is going to project their fear or hopes into that.

As far as we know, you are 100% correct. The new design seems to have covered up a bit more of the bed and some people think it is smaller all-together.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If they have approximately 2,000 reservations at approximately $100 per reservation, then they got a starting amount around $200K. Granted that isn't chump change but it isn't $50M either. I have one of those reservations and was happy to plunk it down to see what they would/could do with it in return for a $5K break on the price if they ever build it and if I ever want it.
WTH are we talking about?

If we are talking about Cybertrucks, there are conservatively 1,000,000 reservations x exactly $100 so $100,000,000 dollars less some administrative cost to finance some of the factory construction or tooling.

So if Tesla holds their prices your $100 was an awesome investment if the non reservation price goes up by $5000 or so even over 4 years Tesla may have had your money. I checked the box for the FSD at $8000. That is an even clearer $2000 savings. I am not sure if I would pay the full $10,000 or not but I do feel a little better about $8000. FSD should be pretty good by the end of 2023.