Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The spools would need to be small enough that they can fit on a flatbed truck and be transported on a highway. The SpaceX rocket boosters are MUCH more than 20 feet in diameter.
The diameter of the spool is irrelevant to the size of the end product. The steel has to be straightened out somehow because a spool of steel has varying diameter. The steel the inside of the spool has a smaller diameter than the steel on the outside.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The spools would need to be small enough that they can fit on a flatbed truck and be transported on a highway. The SpaceX rocket boosters are MUCH more than 20 feet in diameter.
The diameter of the spool is irrelevant to the size of the end product. The steel has to be straightened out somehow because a spool of steel has varying diameter. The steel the inside of the spool has a smaller diameter than the steel on the outside.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
Yes, of course. But "straightened out somehow" is the problem. 3mm thick ultra-strong stainless steel alloy is (as I mentioned in an earlier comment) either springy, or not... Either way, it's going to be challenging to put it onto a spool (and take it off) and that's going to be more challenging, the smaller the diameter of the spool.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Starship SN1 used SS almost 4mm thick. it’s been reported that Elon wanted to use the same thickness for the Cybertruck exoskeleton but it added to much weight. The door alone would have weighed 90 lbs. I read somewhere that the current 3mm thick SS door weighs in around 60 lbs.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s stainless steel supplier to start operations at TX plant by Fall 2021: report 01E7B93F-3E66-4C2C-8F88-D23B5B4AF0B7

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Starship SN1 used SS almost 4mm thick. it’s been reported that Elon wanted to use the same thickness for the Cybertruck exoskeleton but it added to much weight. The door alone would have weighed 90 lbs. I read somewhere that the current 3mm thick SS door weighs in around 60 lbs.

01E7B93F-3E66-4C2C-8F88-D23B5B4AF0B7.jpeg
this number seems incredibly low....a quick google search shows most car doors weigh on average between 100 and 175 lbs. I would expect them to be the heaviest doors you could find on a consumer grade vehicle. Military vehicle armored doors steel plate is over an inch think, so i would expect them to be significantly less in weight than those.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
this number seems incredibly low....a quick google search shows most car doors weigh on average between 100 and 175 lbs. I would expect them to be the heaviest doors you could find on a consumer grade vehicle. Military vehicle armored doors steel plate is over an inch think, so i would expect them to be significantly less in weight than those.
1 square meter of 3mm thick SS is 24kg or 52.8 lbs.

I used a square meter because it is close to the external surface area of a CT door. But there will be internal bracing, hinges, window, and mechanisms so perhaps ~60 lbs is coorect for the skin and ~100-175 pounds for the door assembly could be both correct.
Sponsored