Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Voltage is two things: Fancy insulation and different cell arrangement. The fancy insulation costs more money - but it's mostly an engineering cost, a testing cost, and at first, rare materials.

Afterwards, though, it'll just be basically the same thing, once they have the standard down pat.

The bigger problem will be if they'll have backwards compatibility problems. You can't charge a 1000v pack at a V2 Supercharger at all. And while V3 might support it, it may need new permits and cables.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
CONFIRMED! yeee just heard on the live event
Your notion of confirmation and mine are very different. He said “and other vehicles”, and the most likely vehicle is the Cybertruck, but definitely not a confirmation.

Reactions: cal

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Voltage is two things: Fancy insulation and different cell arrangement. The fancy insulation costs more money - but it's mostly an engineering cost, a testing cost, and at first, rare materials.

Afterwards, though, it'll just be basically the same thing, once they have the standard down pat.

The bigger problem will be if they'll have backwards compatibility problems. You can't charge a 1000v pack at a V2 Supercharger at all. And while V3 might support it, it may need new permits and cables.

-Crissa

--------------------------------------

High-voltage EV battery packs: benefits and challenges. More voltage, more better?
Posted February 24, 2021 by Jeffrey Jenkins
https://chargedevs.com/features/hig...fits-and-challenges-more-voltage-more-better/

Delphi Technologies recently said it will supply 800 V inverters to three out of the top four global premium automakers in the next few years.

Kia and Hyundai have both released details of upcoming 800 V architectures, and

GM said that its 2022 Hummer EV will have the “unique ability to switch its battery pack from its native 400 V to 800 V for charging.”

--------------------------------------

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Your notion of confirmation and mine are very different. He said “and other vehicles”, and the most likely vehicle is the Cybertruck, but definitely not a confirmation.
"...it's going to be used for Cybertruck too." IMO, that is a confirmation. 48m10s gets you there for the 20 second declaration.

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
He doesn't just say that. Musk confirms flat-out that the Cybertruck will use 1000V as well - see here:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There is a big difference between “this makes sense” and “this is indeed true”.

Very happy to hear this. That’s a lot of Joules to be shoving through a little tiny hose.

Also cool hearing the details, they cool the cable with water squeezed between the copper wires… that’s crazy cool. Don‘t kind the hose.
They did say (I mean, Elon said) the CT will be able to use the Megacharger. What they only hinted at was the 1,000 volt drivetrain.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
He doesn't just say that. Musk confirms flat-out that the Cybertruck will use 1000V as well - see here:

They were talking about the Megacharger there, not the 1,000 volt drivetrain. They talked about that at the very beginning.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
OMFG!!! This is sooooo insanely awesome!!! Also makes sense to have the same tri motors and 1000v architecture and mega charger.

Can’t wait!

Last edited:

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
As electric unicycle architecture has matured and increased in voltage over the years, 67v to 134v, the main affects have been charging times and top speed increases. Specifically this has not changed the torque of our wheels.

I wonder if this means that the cybertruck will exclusively use plaid motors as well?

Tesla has done another 4D chess move waiting until ppl are unhappy with rivian and lightning tow ranges to drop the semi bomb.

Imo it would have been cool to hear from the truckdriver himself, raw in classic Tesla fashion.

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
They were talking about the Megacharger there, not the 1,000 volt drivetrain. They talked about that at the very beginning.
The way I understood it was that the V4 super chargers will work for all Tesla's (backwards compatible). I see no reason to mention the CT being able to use it unless it is at its full potential.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They did say (I mean, Elon said) the CT will be able to use the Megacharger. What they only hinted at was the 1,000 volt drivetrain.
Megacharger is just a v4 Supercharger. V4 Supercharger can operate at 500v or 1000v. If it’s only operating at 500v, it has half the charging speed. Any Tesla can use the v4 charger…

Every single Tesla can use the v4 charger. The only special sauce here that the Cybertruck can have in common with the semi is unlocking the full capacity which requires 1000v charging. I don’t see how they could mean anything other than that the Cybertruck.

It is far more likely they ship it with 1000v than hit 1000 kW charge speed.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wonder if this means that the cybertruck will exclusively use plaid motors as well?
Semi uses Model 3/ Y motors.

Thats the only way they can claim 50.9b miles on the Drive Unit.

Cybertruck may follow suit To keep costs down.

They may also use the same clutch mechanic the semi uses to increase efficiency. Perhaps the tri motor Cybertruck isn’t dead after all. Running a single motor when cruising would be a good way to stretch range.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck 1000V Architecture + V4 Supercharging Confirmed!! ⚡️ "It's Going to be Used for Cybertruck Too" - Elon Musk 1669964987846

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the tri motor came from the Cybertruck, but the Cybertruck might no longer use the design. Once you have the quad-motor, which of the triumverate - range, performance, cost - does it reign in? It is cheaper than the quad, but worse performance. It will have more range than the quad, but not the dual motor. And it won't beat the dual or the single for cost.

So it seems to be doomed in that design case. A niche that maybe we'll see again when they're making a million of them.

Still, we don't know until we know.

-Crissa
Sponsored