Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
"...The US learned that we have to be self-reliant, and became capable of producing the oil we need. The same holds true for Batteries. We can't allow ourselves to become depend on ANY other nation. ESPECIALLY CHINA!!!"
[/QUOTE]

You think the US has learned this? I wish that were true. It is not only batteries, we need to be self-reliant on many things. What is needed is that we stop being primarily a nation of consumers, get off our collective asses, and start producing things again.
Sponsored

Bitmaster

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This is what Tesla is already doing. This is what they should be thinking about for the rest of the industry. Not “Hydrogen is a great way to go”!
Hey, don't be a Hydrogen hater, batteries and Hydrogen can co-exist. In certain applications Hydrogen fuel cells make a lot more sense.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hey, don't be a Hydrogen hater, batteries and Hydrogen can co-exist. In certain applications Hydrogen fuel cells make a lot more sense.
I’m not a hydrogen hater.

It may end up the best way to deal with large vehicles, aircraft, and other high demand/ long range use cases. But I’m pretty sure this discussion was mostly talking about light passenger vehicles, where hydrogen is not the way to go.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
"...The US learned that we have to be self-reliant, and became capable of producing the oil we need. The same holds true for Batteries. We can't allow ourselves to become depend on ANY other nation. ESPECIALLY CHINA!!!"
You think the US has learned this? I wish that were true. It is not only batteries, we need to be self-reliant on many things. What is needed is that we stop being primarily a nation of consumers, get off our collective asses, and start producing things again.
[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with our collective asses. U.S. workers used to make about everything and sure did not request the current situation.

It was company executives that off-shored. They moved factories overseas to avoid paying for the pollution the factories cause and avoid paying U.S. workers livable wages.

The company executives were warned about being so dependent on off-shore suppliers but the executives don't care if it sinks the country as long as they can grab enough money to retire in places like the Bahamas before the shit hits the fan.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
GMs “Gigafactory” producing battery cells will essentially be similar to what Panasonic and Tesla did in Nevada. LG Chem will be creating cells for GM who will bundle them into the “Ultium” packs. I believe Ford is doing something similar.

So the only American auto company to own it’s own battery cell production capability will still be Tesla even if GM and Ford do build “battery factories”, they are really just hosting LG’s capacity and packaging the cells.

If American companies are to be independent of China/ Korea on cell production, they will need to develop that capacity on their own, or an American battery company will have to emerge.

I would say that could be Tesla, but it’s pretty clear they are going to consume 200% of the batteries they produce (the other 100%+ coming from third parties similar to how GM and Ford are sourcing theirs).

I’m not sure how important this is overall. Just some thinking out loud here about the subject.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think it just shows that Tesla is just a generation of EVs ahead of everyone else.

First you buy third party.
Then you host the third party in your factories.
Then you begin just making the battery cells.

The problem is, these automakers kept thinking about batteries like they were just a component. But what the battery in a BEV is what the ICE is to their current vehicles: The meat, the potatoes, the bulk and most important part.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think it just shows that Tesla is just a generation of EVs ahead of everyone else.

First you buy third party.
Then you host the third party in your factories.
Then you begin just making the battery cells.

The problem is, these automakers kept thinking about batteries like they were just a component. But what the battery in a BEV is what the ICE is to their current vehicles: The meat, the potatoes, the bulk and most important part.
I think so.

Tesla is outsourcing a pretty big chunk of their cells too and will be for some time.

I think they are saving their home built cells for their most important vehicles until they have capacity and bandwidth to convert their whole line up.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
2023 was iffy by Elon's own admission. I'd suggest you change your countdown end date to December 2023 to give it a small chance of being correct. Personally I'm thinking late 2024 early 2025.
The phrase Musk used was “Most Likely”. That’s not a common synonym for “Small Chance”.

I’m not big on the countdown concept, but if I were to set a timer it would probably be for January 25th 2023. That is the likely date of the first earnings call of 2023. If there is no news prior to then, it’s almost certain there will be an update at that point.

Of course since we have fairly accurate and current spy data, we’ll likely know months before launch regardless. Only way we see production starting in early 2023 is if the pieces are in place by fall 2022.

OP
OP

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
2023 was iffy by Elon's own admission. I'd suggest you change your countdown end date to December 2023 to give it a small chance of being correct. Personally I'm thinking late 2024 early 2025.
i dont think so. i think we'll see some CT's in 2023. maybe not january but at some point next year. now that giga berlin and giga austin are online the model y ramp up is probably going better than he thought. this quarter ends in 10 days and they are set for another record delivery quarter.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Elon says 2023 delivery...

He's even doing the happy dance for it... lol

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
That spreadsheet is of no practical use without major changes, most notably a firm date for the start of production. So it is just another way to beat yourself up at this point, like we need more of that :-(
However in looking up news, I did ask for the FSD version and that might move me way up in the delivery list From what I,ve been reading recently.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
However in looking up news, I did ask for the FSD version and that might move me way up in the delivery list From what I,ve been reading recently.
Yeah, that's new. No one is sure when, but it didn't used to move you up (although other options would).

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Quitting Tesla and the rat race as a whole. I'm already 6 months passed my time frame, but idk if I can do another delay. Worst is I'd just wait like everyone else, lol

The road calls to me, I must answer.
Hey, I put 7 years in at a company I swore to myself I wouldn't work at for more then 2.

At 5 years I was SO ready to jump ship, then Covid hit and I decided to hunker down for the sake of my family. I put in another 2 years for a total of 7. You can do it. Just put your head down and get it done, then get out. I was on call 24/7/365. That 2555 days, and not one day went by without a problem or a call.

Suck it up! Get your CT first and share it will all of us! Take one for the team, dammit!

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag