Cybertruck air compressor vs Ford F-150 Lightning

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Cybertruck is supposed to have air compressor that is strong enough to drive air tools.
Most air tools & paint spray guns run at 90-100 psi & need air volume of 3-12 cfm.

What Size Air Compressor Do I Need for Air Tools?
advantages of air tools include:
Longer lifespan than comparable electric tools
More power (in many cases)
Less weight to reduce operator fatigue
Reduced heat output
Little to no risk of fire hazard or electric shock
Updated on March 9, 2021
https://www.garagetooladvisor.com/air-tools/what-size-air-compressor/

Sandy Munro recently said Ford F-150 Lightning would come standard with air compressor for running tools.

During Ford F-150 Lightning reveal I do not remember anything about F-150 Lightning including an air compressor at all (even to inflate a balloon).

Has anyone else heard or read that F-150 Lightning would come standard with air compressor for running tools or any air compressor at all.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I have never seen a reasonably sized compressor that was good at running much more than pin nailers. I would hope that Tesla wouldnt waste a bunch of space with a compressor. Most people that will need a compressor for construction projects are not going to rely on the on board compressor. I would imagine that the compressor will mostly be for inflating tires, blowing up rafts or mattresses etc. I will not be too upset if it doesn't have a compressor and again it probably will have fairly limited use. I imagine it will be the same compressor and tank that is used for the suspension system and the think tank figures, "well, lets just attach a hose to it and advertise that it comes with an air compressor." since the air compressor and tank are already there, i agreew why not get multiple uses out of it.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have never seen a reasonably sized compressor that was good at running much more than pin nailers. I would hope that Tesla wouldnt waste a bunch of space with a compressor. Most people that will need a compressor for construction projects are not going to rely on the on board compressor. I would imagine that the compressor will mostly be for inflating tires, blowing up rafts or mattresses etc. I will not be too upset if it doesn't have a compressor and again it probably will have fairly limited use. I imagine it will be the same compressor and tank that is used for the suspension system and the think tank figures, "well, lets just attach a hose to it and advertise that it comes with an air compressor." since the air compressor and tank are already there, i agreew why not get multiple uses out of it.
Sandy Munro thinks that Ford F-150 Lightning will have a air compressor good enough to run tools and he said this is one of the reasons Ford F-150 Lightning would be a better work truck than Cybertruck.

During Ford F-150 Lightning reveal I do not remember anything about F-150 Lightning including an air compressor at all (even to inflate a balloon).

Has anyone else heard or read that F-150 Lightning would come standard with air compressor for running tools or any air compressor at all?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Which uses more energy, electric tools or energy to drive a compressor to run air tools.

Being lazy and fishing for someone to run the numbers ?

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Which uses more energy, electric tools or energy to drive a compressor to run air tools.

Being lazy and fishing for someone to run the numbers ?
Electric should be more energy efficient for most tools because you have fewer energy conversion steps but energy efficiency is not always the most important priority.

If the work environment will be damp, wet or being rained on, a non-electric device might be much safer to use (no electric shock hazard). The power to weight ratio might be higher for some pneumatic tools. Amount of heat being given off directly at the tool might be higher for electric tool.

Last edited:

2TRACk

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
03 CR-V, 91 Toyota pickup, 97 Magna 750
Occupation
Electronic Maintenance
Country flag
If either of the vehicle is going to be able to run any kind of air tool you would need an accumulator tank to store the pressure as I'm sure there in no compressor out there that produces 100psi on demand for any amount of time and to use many air tools other than a brad nailer or to air up a tire. Maybe inside the exoskeleton you would be able to put a bladder of some sort ?‍♂

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Think of the compressor itself as a charger and the tank as a battery. A small compressor can easily supply the pressure and bring a small tank to that pressure in a short time. On a typical construction job you will see several guys running around with nailers connected to one of those small pancake tanks. But note that even those are pretty big in terms of the amount of space that would have to be given up to them in a vehicle. So even though the compressor in the truck may be fairly hefty in terms of the pressure and volume it can deliver I'd guess the tank will be pretty small if there is a tank at all. I have in my frunk a little compressor that plugs into the "cigarette lighter" it is intended to pump up flat tires and so delivers well over 40 psig at a reasonable flow rate. It has no tank. The compressor in the CT may have no tank either. Even so it might operate a nailer quite adequately using nothing more than the connecting hose as the reservoir. There is an implied problem with any tank and that is that the moisture which condenses in it must be drained from time to time or it will rust from the inside out. If the CT has a tank concealed in one of the wings for example that tank would have to have an automatic purge valve arrangement. Not a big deal but extra complexity and cost.

The compressor might be capable of delivering reasonable flow such that it could be used for inflating a raft etc. Thus a solution for air tools that use more air would simply be to hook it up to a portable air tank. We obviously aren't going to get to the sander/polisher/grinder sort of tool. Those use a tank as tall as a man with a 1 or 2 HP dual stage compressor.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My understanding is the Tesla uses the compressor for the air suspension and it is going to double up as a compressor for other activities like air tools.

What the capacity is on that is pretty much unknown. You could add an external tank to the compressor which would make it a bit more useful.
Sponsored