Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
It is a myth.

...If you ignore single-car incidents and injuries to others, pedestrians for instance. Large vehicles get into more collisions, as well.

So as a system, they are not safer.

-Crissa
for the occupant they are far safer. Like 100% safer Comparing the biggest cars to the smallest.
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
for the occupant they are far safer. Like 100% safer Comparing the biggest cars to the smallest.
I understand you to mean big cars have more room for safety features incl crumple zones, but just want to mention that as far as I was told when reserving the Bollinger B1 EV SUV/Truck, it has a straight front screen right in front of your face and no airbags, and they evade several safety regulations with its weight class. They also have a pass through front to back for really long building materials. So that’s a problem with really big cars in traffic.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So you're trading your life while making others more in danger. For every person killed in a large vehicle, seven others died from larger vehicles. So you'd better be more than 800% safer or else the large vehicles are killing more people.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
It is a myth.

...If you ignore single-car incidents and injuries to others, pedestrians for instance. Large vehicles get into more collisions, as well.

So as a system, they are not safer.

-Crissa
You are looking at it from an altruistic point of view. The crash test ratings of a vehicle are stratified to their segment level so that 3-5 star rated mid size car is only comparable to another mid size car in a collision. In a mid size vs truck collision, the chances of injury and crash damage are definitely more in the smaller vehicle (simple physics, It is not rocket science). Keep in mind that in an accident, you cannot pick and choose the vehicles you hit. People in bigger vehicles with a higher seating position definitely has a survival advantage here. By extension, we all should be driving tanks....lol.
Okay thats' where Cybertruck comes in the picture. If it can ace the crash tests somehow, then we can surely have the best of both worlds. I hope that the Tesla's active driving assist systems will inherently make is safer than any other large truck on the planet.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
So you're trading your life while making others more in danger. For every person killed in a large vehicle, seven others died from larger vehicles. So you'd better be more than 800% safer or else the large vehicles are killing more people.

-Crissa
The statement I was originally responding to was in regards to it being a myth that a larger vehicle is safer to drive than a smaller vehicle; it's not a myth, you are far more safe in a large vehicle than a small one. Obviously size is not the only factor, and a large vehicle with poor construction (as shown in the video above) or without airbags or seatbelts or good tires etc, etc, is not a safer way to travel than a superior smaller vehicle. But as a quality, increased size will offer you increased protection, that's fact, and there is a mountain of data to say it's real, and also extremely significant in terms of reducing the odds of serious injury or death.

What you're talking about is a different topic, do large vehicles make society safer as a whole. My father has been ranting about the negative environmental and safety impacts of North America's obsession with trucks and SUV's for decades, so I feel like I'm just back at the kitchen table at the old house. There is little debate about the environmental negativity of pushing around massive objects that could be replaced with smaller objects that consume less fuel. Electric drivetrains eliminate this gripe for the most part, especially the CT which will possibly be the most environmentally friendly mainstream vehicle an American can buy, with no paint, easier recyclability, long use-life, no gas and domestic production.

Are big vehicles a danger? Well yes, sure, but only to smaller vehicles. So is the ethical problem with those that choose to drive a larger vehicle, or with those who drive a smaller one? Should we ban large vehicles so they don't harm others, or smaller ones so that they are not harmed? Perhaps we should start by banning motorbikes, by far the least safe form of transport. It's fairly complex, like most ethical discussions.

For me, I increasingly like the idea of a safe vehicle for me and my occupants. I've always been a sports car person. My wife used to drive a Miata. But life and circumstance has made me more concerned about safety. I've never harmed anyone with my vehicle while driving for more than a couple decades now. I don't drink and drive, my phone is away while driving, I obey traffic laws, I'm alert, I have good vision and coordination, I keep my vehicle in good working order. I've never had a speeding ticket, I have a 5-star rating with my insurer and pay next to nothing in premiums. While driving I always assume the worst of everyone around me, and act appropriately. This has helped me avoid numerous collisions. That said, in the last few years I've had someone run a read light and T-Bone my car. I've had my tires slashed in a parking garage at a hotel over night. A meth-head broke into my car and stole my engineering ring I had left in the center console (along with some keto additive that possibly looked like coke - I'm sure dude was disappointed the ring is worth $20 and that powder will only help relieve his lack of carbs) I've also had 3 different vandals try to smash windows in my property, and a BLM protest break off bricks from the front step. And I won't get into the tenants I've had that skipped rent and damaged property and other lousy business dealings. All this is to say, that while I try my best to always do the right thing and not harm others, I don't necessarily trust others to do the same thing. If I drive a bigger, safer vehicle, I am not personally 800% more likely to harm someone, because I have never harmed anyone and take every precaution to not do so. However, if I can make me and my occupants - especially my two young children - safer from those who run red lights, text and drive, speed, etc, then I feel I have a moral obligation to do everything I can to make that happen. I can't control others, but I can do my best to prevent their actions from harming those I care about.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are big vehicles a danger? Well yes, sure, but only to smaller vehicles. So is the ethical problem ...
They are not only more dangerous to 'smaller vehicles', they're dangerous to everyone else on the road. Which includes pedestrians and people in other 'large vehicles'.

Large vehicles are more difficult to stop, and safety devices like curbs and rails work less well upon them. They are more difficult to control. And given sports-car performance in newer models, that difference of reckless drivers preferring smaller vehicles is going to shrink.

A large vehicle is not safer, it's a responsibility. A third of all vehicle deaths are not those sitting in a seat. Driver deaths are only a tiny portion of deaths involved with larger vehicles.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Im not sure why every one is so worried.. Tesla consistently designs the SAFEST vehicles on the road. PERIOD. The Cybertruck will be the safest pickup truck in its class. No doubt.

This is just another thing people like to say about the CT to try and make it look stupid, when they know deep down its going to destroy the competition. Denial.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't particularly agree to the view that driving larger cars are a danger to everyone else. But being complacent to safe driving in any size vehicles is a danger to everyone else on the road. Here is the proof of our theory that smaller cars are less safe than larger cars, performed by none other than IIHS, which ironically was published today- may be they are reading this discussion too and wanted to respond to Crissa :D.

• A new report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety finds that women are at a higher risk of being injured or killed in crashes than men are when involved in crashes of a similar severity.
  • Though more men than women are injured and killed in car crashes, women are more likely to be injured in any given crash than men in a crash of similar severity would be, the study found.
  • IIHS explained that the discrepancies are due to differences in the cars many women drive and the circumstances of the crashes they are involved in—not physiological differences between men and women.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35493891/iihs-study-women-risk-crash-injury/

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Hey all,

I'm new here and happy to be apart of the Cybertruck "future" owners club.

I've been thinking a lot about how the Cybertruck will do in crash tests. With Tesla having the safest vehicles on the road, I'm hopeful that the Cybertruck will be even safer. Just a few things come to mind with the Cybertruck specifically. With a thick steel exoskeleton, how will the car have any crumple zones?

Would love to hear anyones thoughts on this and their overall crash test prediction!

Best,
Craig
The crumple zones should be mostly from the megacastings, and I doubt the skin will affect that all that much that can't be designed into the structure. I will be just fine.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But being complacent to safe driving in any size vehicles is a danger to everyone else on the road.
This is the part to focus on.

(Tho the study you quoted points out the difference between striking/struck vehicles and larger vehicles striking smaller ones... Nevermind including pedestrians and others.)

-Crissa

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
This is the part to focus on.

(Tho the study you quoted points out the difference between striking/struck vehicles and larger vehicles striking smaller ones... Nevermind including pedestrians and others.)

-Crissa
That is exactly where Tesla is concentrating with its FSD. I believe they mentioned 9 times safer than human drivers (per Tesla), even though I understand that it could be possibly a biased result too.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
That is exactly where Tesla is concentrating with its FSD. I believe they mentioned 9 times safer than human drivers (per Tesla), even though I understand that it could be possibly a biased result too.
I don't think you're biased. People are stupider than than you give them credit for.
Sponsored