Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It worked well enough that the underground launch sites at Vandenberg were used over and over in the '60s and '70s.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 3.25.45 PM.png
Yeah. My spouse knows I love space stuff, so when she was working on the Gravity Probe B mission, she took me on the tour to Vandenberg.

Several of the scientists in the group ha been born in the USSR and defected to the US to do science stuff. So when we got to the base, and the airman with the rifle came on board to check the papers, one of them did the Chekov bit from Star Trek IV. The airman's eyes just got sooo big and then he retreated very quickly to get a superior officer.

More hilariously, we got an old retired USAF guy who was working ground support as our tour guide, and of course there's one of those put up as a statue. And so as he's explaining about it, a different scientist looking up at it said, 'I never thought I would be here,' then basically talked over the poor guy who was gushing about being here when they were being tested because these guys worked on the Soviet ICBMs x-x

It was quite funny at the time.

-Crissa

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Sorry but that isn’t going to happen. I would recommend reading @cvalue13 recent post but if you believe nothing else the fact that no application for an event has been submitted to Travis County or to the fire Marshall, and that they have as 45 day lead time, tells us that the delivery event wil most likely be no sooner than the end of October and more likely in November. Sad but true.
Well, that is Travis County. Tesla can hold the event in many other places where it has facilities. Here, in Nevada, they could make application two weeks before the event and have a license. GF1 is secure and not a public facility. In Reno, Tesla could get Mackay Stadium, an outdoor facility, on short notice. Lost Wages has the Raiders indoor stadium. Of course, there is the Black Rock Desert, where Elon goes for a week on Labor Day.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Well, that is Travis County. Tesla can hold the event in many other places where it has facilities. Here, in Nevada, they could make application two weeks before the event and have a license. GF1 is secure and not a public facility. In Reno, Tesla could get Mackay Stadium, an outdoor facility, on short notice. Lost Wages has the Raiders indoor stadium. Of course, there is the Black Rock Desert, where Elon goes for a week on Labor Day.
Although Tesla could hold an event anywhere and not just at other Tesla facilities, Tesla would be experience immense kidding, and maybe ridicule, if they host the Cybertruck delivery event anywhere but where they designed and built a factory to build the Cybertruck. Just to hold a media event?

I think the chance of the delivery event being anywhere but Austin is vanishingly small.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
We are about to encounter reality. Tesla has not updated in CT web page in elons (eons, get it?). Rumors are flying, but nothing concrete. Lets remember what we were promised so many years ago, starting with the size:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck deliveries start in October says Tesla employee / Cybertruck test driver 1695054477466

Remember Elon making a big deal about it being nearly the same size as the F-150? Not the Ranger?

More size: the bed (vault):

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck deliveries start in October says Tesla employee / Cybertruck test driver 1695055321290

Remember the range figures? Three battery options were shown, with the biggest one having a 500 miles range. That's right, 500 miles:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck deliveries start in October says Tesla employee / Cybertruck test driver 1695055639257

2019 prices, should be corrected for inflation to get today's prices:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck deliveries start in October says Tesla employee / Cybertruck test driver 1695055849016

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
I find it dubious he'd slow down enough to stay for a whole week.

But some people have more couch crashing options than others.

-Crissa
Perhaps you think Nevada is a bit backwards and there is no cell phone coverage in the Black Rock Desert when 80,000 people show up? Don't forget Starlink, an Elon adventure, too.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps you think Nevada is a bit backwards and there is no cell phone coverage in the Black Rock Desert when 80,000 people show up? Don't forget Starlink, an Elon adventure, too.
We're talking about a guy who hates doing things remotely, who sleeps at the factory, right?

-Crissa

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
We're talking about a guy who hates doing things remotely, who sleeps at the factory, right?

-Crissa
He may "hate doing things remotely"; but, when he goes to BM, I'll bet he doesn't abandon all his ventures for a week.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He may "hate doing things remotely"; but, when he goes to BM, I'll bet he doesn't abandon all his ventures for a week.
Most of the rich class have their camp drive in, then they meet them via helicopter or airplane.

It's almost freakish watching them come in; helicopters flying in formation and everything. Used to be if you parachuted in, you didn't need a ticket.

-Crissa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado 1500
Country flag
I absolutely love that film. Damned Space Tootsie Roll.
We are looking for the nuclear wessels.
😹
Several of the scientists in the group ha been born in the USSR and defected to the US to do science stuff. So when we got to the base, and the airman with the rifle came on board to check the papers, one of them did the Chekov bit from Star Trek IV.

-Crissa

evazquezcu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Silverado LT
Country flag
Well..... we are almost on October and..............NOTHING, WE KNOW NOTHING. At least release the specs, give us something, add "estimated" on the fine print, we don't care.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Most of the rich class have their camp drive in, then they meet them via helicopter or airplane.

It's almost freakish watching them come in; helicopters flying in formation and everything. Used to be if you parachuted in, you didn't need a ticket.

-Crissa
People were sky diving into Burning Man?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Well..... we are almost on October and..............NOTHING, WE KNOW NOTHING. At least release the specs, give us something, add "estimated" on the fine print, we don't care.
Tesla is never going to give us specs (they never do) so just get over that. What we are waiting for is revving up the high-volume line (if @cvalue13 is correct), the certifications, and the delivery event. Then we get everything. I am as impatient for news as anyone but there is nothing we can do to accelerate this.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I think releasing “estimates” is too dangerous for Tesla. The old school loves to find something to bag on them about. Toyota has been saying forever that they are about to come out with “something” and never do, but they get a pass. Elon shows the CT and the media claims it‘s “vaporware” because it isn’t on the road yet.

So they release an estimate of 350 miles with the “Dually”, and in the final analysis the best balance is 300. Next thing you know, the media and Ford and GM are all banging on Tesla for the “15% range drop needed because of poor battery performance” Or “CT loses 50 miles of range because it’s so far overweight” or fill in your own nonsense clickbait headline.

The moral is, release nothing and surprise everyone, or release something and wait for the onslaught. If it were your company on the line over this, what would you choose???
Sponsored