JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
which leave as contenders only the front two quarterpanels, and rear two quarterpanels

and when it comes to crashworthiness, anyone should be shocked to find the front twoquarterpanels are performing any (or material) load-bearing structure (nor should they really need to, from perspective of where trucks experience load stress issues).

And if the front quarterpanels don’t, we’re down to:

the rear two quarterpanel’s may or may not provide load-bearing structure, and we’ll not *really* know until Munro et al do a breakdown and determine exactly where and how they are attached to the unibody

Which means everyone here saying the SS is obviously structural are assuming information they don’t know, and glossing over that we’re now down to talking about at most the4 quarterpanels and likely only the rear two quarterpanel’s.

When I compare exoskeleton picture of the Cybertruck released back in 2019 with the "as built" photo above, I don't see a contradiction. The contoured door frames on the 2019 model are present. There was always a need for structural surfaces to mount internal sub assemblies. The 2019 image doesn't show the framework to which the motors and suspension are attached. We now know they are the front and rear castings, something even Tesla didn't know at the time of the prototype reveal. So whether it should be called an "exoskeleton" or a "uni-body" is a pointless argument. What we have is the best of both worlds.

Cybertruck-Monocoque.jpg
Funnily enough that original photo there for the CT frame, demonstrates that the front and rear quarterpanels are the only possible parts of the SS skin that could be load bearing anyway.

So even if EM thought it would be "full exoskeleton dude!" Then he would of been more than smart enough to realize when he made those comments, that it could only be those parts that could be load bearing at all, seeing that the rest swing open on hinges.

So if anything, his "exoskeleton" comment, was purely based on the function of crash safety and ingress protection, and not so much it's load bearing capability as others like Monroe wanted to make it. Which admittedly is more important than load bearing anyway. From there the design matured as soon as they figured out they could cast the front and rear in a custom machine, and the whole design was optimized to get the casts to do as much as possible, in an effort to get the parts and costs down.

Overall I'm completely fine with that as a resulting product and don't see it as a negative in any way. So long we can call it what it is, and not what it isn't. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SKUUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Bottom line; there is no objective testing process to determine the "safest production vehicle" ever built, or even just built in one year. It's pretty easy to make such a claim, but impossible to objectively defend it.
Agreed, and my suggestion was based on a few different things, many of which I'm sure you and almost everyone here are already aware of. One is that EVs are generally safer due to the pack providing a floor-based structure that lowers the center of gravity, especially Tesla's sports car leaning designs. Another is that the overall (diamond-like) shape of the structure lends itself to increased rigidity.

The pillar structures and overall design unsurprisingly appear to be designed to carry significant load and maintain the cabin's integrity as much as possible, although I do see some possible shortcomings where the front giga cast meets the inner a-pillar. Then again, these cars are designed by engineers much smarter than myself using simulators before pre-production, so I'm sure any concerns have been fleshed out as best as possible. The outer body panels will likely be both an asset and a liability, depending on the type and direction of force being applied to them.

The last consideration of my suggestion was due to the vehicle's overall larger mass being combined with the aforementioned designs, which likely lend themselves to this being an extremely safe vehicle. Maybe not the "safest" ever, but a worthy contender when all attributes are considered.

Regarding testing, NHTSA generates "gold star" type ratings so that people don't have to put thought into their vehicle purchases, which is unfortunate. I believe IIHS and European crash rating tests are more data-driven in regard to the reports that they produce. Tesla has tended to highlight their probability of injury percentage when compared to other vehicles, which seems reasonable. Old post: https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-3-lowest-probability-injury-any-vehicle-ever-tested-nhtsa

Last edited:

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
omg… they’re all exoskeletons 😮
Tesla have Cabinets+Closets full of 'EXOSKELETONS' in prep of the CT Ramp!
They'll all be coming out soon enough!
Everyone's Wrapped at the prospect.....a CAST of millions awaits in the wiings!

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Tesla have Cabinets+Closets full of 'EXOSKELETONS' in prep of the CT Ramp!
They'll all be coming out soon enough!
Everyone's Wrapped at the prospect.....a CAST of millions awaits in the wiings!

In light of the current month, Let's just say that the CT has a SKELETON construction!
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck frame / casting / chassis / body structure in plain sight outside Giga Texas 🧐 1697643247340

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
soon.......................................maybe

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
OMG!!!! It's the bestest evar! It's just what Elon described in 2019!!! Just super glue some overthick cold rolled stainless steel plates to it!
Elon is the 'New Age' IRON MAN
Complete with 'winkles'

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
tesla cybertruck body casting chassis frame 3.jpeg

ENHANCE

tesla cybertruck body casting chassis frame 2.jpg

The skinless carcass of a CyberTruck. So much for an exoskeleton body. It was probably too heavy and difficult to manufacture. The “exoskeleton” skin over a traditional body in white is probably safer too.

ENHANCE

tesla cybertruck body casting chassis frame 4.jpg

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wondered when Elon said this in Aug 2020,
  • Despite hundreds of thousands of Cybertruck pre-orders, Elon Musk told Automotive News that Tesla will build a "normal truck, no problem" if people don't buy the unique design.
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tesla-normal-pickup-truck-if-cybertruck-doesnt-sell-2020-8

Leads me to believe they could glue anything to this, no problem and that was always the plan.
No, that was never the plan, it was that if it failed, they'll survive.

-Crissa

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
"enhance" … : )

clearly no exo-anything in that design. if anything, it looks more body-frame (which was expected given the high specs for payload and towing.) Presumably Munro will be posting comments on these pics.

these large appendages almost look like the rear of an SUV/VAN body?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck frame / casting / chassis / body structure in plain sight outside Giga Texas 🧐 1697725354580

it would certainly be a "wow" factor to "oh, one more thing…" and show an SUV variant and a commercial van body …