Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
I'm looking forward to this CyberDuck. :)

Our Jeep leaks mice. Tear the side panels off to find and screen the huge gaping production holes So glad the cyber electronics will stay dry.

Once CyberDuck arrives, I'm considering sending the jeep down below as an experiment to see how quickly it sinks. Trouble is, the lake is dropping w/ climate desertification, so they'll find it soon when the water drops further.
Sponsored

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I grew up driving an argo. They do quite well with just wheels for steering and propulsion. Plenty for most River crossings. Should be serious cross country machine if it can fjord the deep ones.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
In CT "Water Mode" on a quad motor for sure you could independently control left and right side wheel spin to also gain some better steering as well. Sort of like how you steer a canoe....

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
In CT "Water Mode" on a quad motor for sure you could independently control left and right side wheel spin to also gain some better steering as well. Sort of like how you steer a canoe....
ONLY vehicle with neg. buoyancy is the OG VW Bug. Even then it was temporary i.e.20min. afloat time.

I’ve witnessed a Cadillac run over an owner who stopped to look at Jenny Lake. Stepping in front of his car - it rolled over him and promptly sank. Cadillac is equivalent to Cybetrtruck. He didn’t get the transmission firmly into “Park”.

Floating a CT? Grew up on the Missouri, Sioux rivers and Great Salt Lake. GSL is NBD 8% salinity and firm shorelines. Sioux is ugly in&out. Missouri NBD getting in. Getting a CT out would be hard to hit a concrete boat landing. Plan B would be to tie it off against a rock oile pier.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Would you prefer if it sinks?
Do you want the James Bond Plaid Submarine feature as well?
You'll have to wait until 2024'. 😜
I am sure it will sink after about 5 minutes with wet floorboards before that. Still might come in handy. I don't plan. On testing it.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Would you prefer if it sinks?
Do you want the James Bond Plaid Submarine feature as well?
You'll have to wait until 2024'. 😜
No customer is getting any Cybertruck before 2024.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Nope. Wrong. This is super dangerous thinking. Just because the damn thing floats does NOT allow it to cross streams / rivers. If you try this, you *will* be swept away and end up losing your truck, or your life. Even worse, some rescue team will have to risk *their* lives to come rescue you.

There is zero chance the CT will have enough propulsion or control to cross any kind of current. The only way would be to install water jet propulsion.

In *shallow* water where your wheels can keep traction on the ground, you are usually OK to cross. This is the same for all trucks.
I plan to use my truck to launch my boat, but under the category of "stuff happens", this is good to know. I've seen cars totaled by flash floods and rising tides, so this isn't as crazy as it sounds.
The Cybertruck will get swept away in a significant flash flood. Stuff happens equals destroyed truck and dead idiot.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I love this feature. If you say it is a unnecessary feature and a waste of whatever, you are not ready for the off road adventure. It's one of those feature that I would use once or twice in my lifetime but it will worth every penny. Sure, it's worth it for me just to have it. I will mount a electric stroller motor to help the CT crossing the water faster. I will definitely try it when I got my CT

chinokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3 LR AWD
Country flag
Will you be using your Cybertruck's boat-like features, and in what way??

Just tweeted this morning by Elon Musk.

"Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren’t too choppy"

It would be better than my 1965 Amphicar. That's for sure.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Are you kidding me ?

I guess you can get caught in a torrential flood or a tsunami, but lets not get carried away.

If something is best value, how much extra function is too much?

Talk about fun and opportunity. And I'm in old guy category lol
Sponsored