Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A lot of people and media seem to have gotten it into their heads that Tesla said Cybertruck would be here EOY 2020. I hear a lot of people (including more than one on this forum) suggesting Tesla is “Years” behind on the Cybertruck based on that mistaken date.

Only way Tesla is years behind is if they blow 2023 entirely.
Sponsored

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
It’s not subject to debate.

Right now it is 5.5 months late. That is fact.

When you say “They are 2.5 years late” you are speculating and passing it as fact. It is impossible for it to be 2.5 years late only 5 months after it was due.
I am not sure Dec 2021 was the original promised date, or a little earlier.
However, I didn't say it was 2.5 years late...the Electric Viking did!

If it comes out fall of 2023, then it is what....2 years late...roughly.

Man, I hope Tesla does deliver actually Cybertrucks to customers by fall of 2023. Heck, any later and it will be time to refresh the 2019 design! LOL

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Cybertruck redesign would consist of sharper corners and even less polygons to render. Model refresh might be renamed Cubetruck or just Truck².

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Cybertruck redesign would consist of sharper corners and even less polygons to render. Model refresh might be renamed Cubetruck or just Truck².
Wouldn’t cubetruck be truck³ ?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
A lot of people and media seem to have gotten it into their heads that Tesla said Cybertruck would be here EOY 2020. I hear a lot of people (including more than one on this forum) suggesting Tesla is “Years” behind on the Cybertruck based on that mistaken date.

Only way Tesla is years behind is if they blow 2023 entirely.
This is a screen-grab from the night of the reveal. When I originally ordered a single motor, because I live in So. Cal. and didn't see a need for AWD, or incredible acceleration in a pick-up. Look in the bottom right above "BUY NOW" it says, production starting in late 2021, referring to single motor. Tri-motor AWD late 2022.

I think it was less than a week later Tesla/ Elon said they were going to reverse the order of production because of popularity of AWD versions. But this is straight off the ordering page.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck launch delayed again - Per AutoForecast Solutions - until Oct 2023 orderpage

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Wouldn’t cubetruck be truck³ ?
Lol fat fingers, small screens and no glasses...I'm surprised you can read anything I post! :ROFLMAO:

Most definitely "Truck³".

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
This is a screen-grab from the night of the reveal. When I originally ordered a single motor, because I live in So. Cal. and didn't see a need for AWD, or incredible acceleration in a pick-up. Look in the bottom right above "BUY NOW" it says, production starting in late 2021, referring to single motor. Tri-motor AWD late 2022.

I think it was less than a week later Tesla/ Elon said they were going to reverse the order of production because of popularity of AWD versions. But this is straight off the ordering page.

orderpage.jpg
Cool.
Late 2021.

My best guess, because of how long it appears it is taking to get companies like Panasonic to mass produce 4680's, is late 2023.

That would only be 2 years late. That isn't too bad in "Tesla Time". Nothing is easy about mass producing vehicles. (Which is why someone like Ford still has a chance to survive....they know how to build millions of vehicles each year, including dealing with suppliers, etc. If Ford can catch up on the software side, they should be able to carve out a slice of the EV market. And don't under estimate people that will buy a Ford blindly because that is the brand they have known for 30-40 years)

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Lol fat fingers, small screens and no glasses...I'm surprised you can read anything I post! :ROFLMAO:

Most definitely "Truck³".
I am impress you figured out the exponent key combo.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

orderpage.jpg

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Great job on the screen print.

orderpage.jpg
Great job on the screen print. The statement on the price of the FSD is pretty clear to me. I was late to the party and FSD was changed to $8k. Does anybody know if the same text was there?
For $100 I am definitely saving $4k. Not a bad investment. That said I would have a real hard time paying $12k for FSD unless it was really proven level 5 and it was transferable for at least 10 years if my original CT is totaled.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I am impress you figured out the exponent key combo.
On the phone its as easy as holding down the number key...on a PC keyboard its alt 173. I seem to be using them all the time over the last few years so I don't think much about how to use them. On the phone I try to use swipe most of the time, but often find myself jabbing keys for technical terms.

I often wonder what a Cybertruck mark 2 would look like. One thing that seems missing from most cars is active aero. Technically it would be possible to actually get a cube to be aerodynamic by artificially routing airflow around it. The other advantage with active aero is that it would be speed sensitive which is not possible with a static shape body. Also something that would work on semi or a bus.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Great job on the screen print.

Great job on the screen print. The statement on the price of the FSD is pretty clear to me. I was late to the party and FSD was changed to $8k. Does anybody know if the same text was there?
For $100 I am definitely saving $4k. Not a bad investment. That said I would have a real hard time paying $12k for FSD unless it was really proven level 5 and it was transferable for at least 10 years if my original CT is totaled.
You're right. They didn't leave themselves any wiggle room with that statement on FSD. I agree, FSD is kind of a mess at $12K and locked to a vehicle. Like you said, Tesla needs to come up with a better plan for contingencies like totaled vehicles. A year ago Todd the Cybertruck guy put up a plan where it would be, pay according to miles used. That would be fair. Tesla puts all the hardware into all of these vehicles. They need to get a high percentage of adoption, otherwise it's a waste.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You're right. They didn't leave themselves any wiggle room with that statement on FSD. I agree, FSD is kind of a mess at $12K and locked to a vehicle. Like you said, Tesla needs to come up with a better plan for contingencies like totaled vehicles. A year ago Todd the Cybertruck guy put up a plan where it would be, pay according to miles used. That would be fair. Tesla puts all the hardware into all of these vehicles. They need to get a high percentage of adoption, otherwise it's a waste.
Just have to ensure your insurance will cover the FSD add-on I think there is a clause in most policies to get a new replacement vehicle instead of assessed value. If it’s Tesla insurance they should include FSD in any appraisal if the vehicle is totaled.

The hardware is used for Autopilot, parking, and sentry mode and not wasted at all.

I would **love** to be able to buy FSD just for road trips, but $200/ month to make a road trip is just too much. I suppose if I go on a cross country tour I’ll do it.

A daily rate would be super. Even $20/ day would be tolerable.
Sponsored