Cybertruck Plaid

Will there be a Plaid version of the Cybertruck?

• Total voters

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
They have some beefy crossmembers to keep those composite wrapped motors from tearing apart the rear end.
tesla-model-s-plaid.jpeg

My question is, would the super strong exoskeleton let them just plug the plaid motors into a Cybertruck without a lot of fuss?
Yes

All 1000ft. lbs. torque is picked up in shear at the frame, cum skateboard. Torsionally the exoskeleton resists axial transfer loads from the frame induced by the motors. Flex where the LF tire on traditional body-on-frame transfers, exoskeleton stops which means all that torque does work at the wheels.

Torque vectoring is above my technological age, so someone else can jump in to complete the mechanics.
Sponsored

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
We will see Cybertruck trailer loads sitting in the street everywhere as we accelerate out from under our loads. The Cybertruck should come standard with trailer tie downs in the sail wing storage area.
I speak from personal experience, tie that sucka down.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
We will see Cybertruck trailer loads sitting in the street everywhere as we accelerate out from under our loads. The Cybertruck should come standard with trailer tie downs in the sail wing storage area.
I'm assuming that with active suspension, the truck probably can determine an estimated weight of what is in the bed of the truck. I would expect Tesla to put in a safety feature that would prevent a plaid launch if you exceed a certain weight, which probably wouldn't be much at all. I'm sure the Cybertruck will still have an amazing 0-60 time even without the plaid launch, probably around 3.5-4 seconds. I would love to think no one is dumb enough to go full acceleration from a stopped position with an unsecure load in the back, but if no one was that dumb, youtube wouldn't have so many great fail complications.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Motor Trend had their behind the scenes look at Cybertruck before the unveiling. In it they specifically state that the Trimotor is plaid.

Further evidence that Trimotor is plaid.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-plaid-power/

Tesla Cybertruck Could Hit 1,000 Lb-Ft of Torque With Plaid Power
Raven powertrain won’t be staying long in the Tesla truck
Christian Seabaugh -
WordsManufacturerPhotos
Nov 22, 2019

It's a safe bet that when any new car, truck, or SUV gets introduced, it's built with future powertrains and technologies in mind. The new Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup will be no exception to that rule. Although the Cybertruck prototype rolled out sporting Tesla's current latest-and-greatest Raven powertrain, Tesla chief Elon Musk told us that the Cybertruck was being built with the company's future Plaid powertrain in mind. This powertrain could prove revolutionary in the pickup segment.

Before we delve too deeply into Plaid, a quick look at Raven. Tesla's Raven powertrain, as seen in the Model S and Model X, utilizes the automaker's latest motor technology to up both efficiency and power. The current batch of Raven-powered Teslas utilize a Model 3 rear motor mounted up front making around 275 hp and 503 lb-ft of torque and a Model S/X motor in back making about 310 horsepower and 531 lb-ft of torque. We estimate combined output for the powertrain to be about 690 hp and 824 lb-ft of torque—Tesla, for whatever reason, doesn't disclose power outputs for the Model S or Model X.

More on the wild Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup right here.

Given how little we know about Raven, a powertrain that's already out and purchasable today, details on Plaid are even more scarce. What we do know is that the powertrain first made its debut in the 2020 Tesla Roadster prototype, and it can currently be found in a Model S prototype that's living at the NĂĽrburgring as Tesla seeks to beat the Porsche Taycan's electric lap record at the track. At the Roadster's debut, Musk claimed that the Roadster made nearly 7,376 lb-ft of torque, though we're just as skeptical about that number as you no doubt are.

Plaid marks a departure for Tesla in that it's the automaker's first consumer-oriented vehicle with more than two motors (the Tesla Semi has four motors at each corner of its rear axles). A Plaid-powered Tesla Cybertruck, just like Plaid-powered Model S and Model X cars, will use three motors: one up front and two in back, with one at each rear wheel. Power output for the Cybertruck when equipped with the Plaid powertrain and a double-stacked battery will likely be around 800 hp and 1,000 lb-ft combined, based on previous claims about Plaid and the amount of power Teslas currently make.

More important than how much power the Plaid-powered Cybertruck could make are the advantages the three-motor setup could give the electric pickup off-road. With an electric motor at either rear wheel, the Cybertruck would essentially have a locking differential, ensuring traction in even the toughest of conditions. The twin motors could have other benefits. Since they can operate independently of each other, the motors could provide the Cybertruck with torque-vectoring on-road and off-road and also allow Tesla to either drag, or run one motor in reverse in sharp turns off-road to effectively lower the pickup's turning circle.

Things could only get better—and cooler—from there. Taking things a step further to a completely nonexistent-but-totally-plausible four-motor setup, Tesla could even copy the rival Rivian R1T's party piece: its 'tank' mode, where the front and rear axles turn opposite each other, allegedly allowing the R1T to literally turn on a dime off-road.

Ultimately, more is more when it comes to electric motors. More motors mean more power, more flexibility, and counterintuitively oftentimes more efficiency, too. Tesla's Raven-powered dual-motor Cybertruck might be the latest evolution of the electric motor, but Plaid and whatever's next could truly be revolutionary.

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
while the heart and now the mind wants the tri, brain bribed with endorphins, my wallet is still a firm no.

I only need to tie for 4.5 seconds
My wallet looks at me with question marks too. Still, it can look at me cross-eyed for the next several years, I am going to get the dual motor at the least!

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
My wallet looks at me with question marks too. Still, it can look at me cross-eyed for the next several years, I am going to get the dual motor at the least!
My wife loves the idea of the Cybertruck now that she knows more about it, but when I told her about it at first, she asked me if I really needed another toy.

Just think about how long this truck will last. in 50 years, the money you spent is going to be completely worth it when the Cybertruck still gets you from point A to point B. Plus you can park it next to the future CyberRocket that flies you to the moon and back on one tank of rocket fuel.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My wife loves the idea of the Cybertruck now that she knows more about it, but when I told her about it at first, she asked me if I really needed another toy.

Just think about how long this truck will last. in 50 years, the money you spent is going to be completely worth it when the Cybertruck still gets you from point A to point B. Plus you can park it next to the future CyberRocket that flies you to the moon and back on one tank of rocket fuel.
We might have to get new seats, new MCU, and new batteries several times in that 50 years though.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
We might have to get new seats, new MCU, and new batteries several times in that 50 years though.
New seats probably, but that's a pretty reasonable price compared to a new vehicle, especially if the seats are fine and you just replace the leather.

The MCU with a performance that matches top tier gaming consoles will last a very long time if you don't care about playing new games and just use it for driving software and vehicle controls. I would definitely replace mine because I actually really like the idea of playing games while at chargers, waiting for my wife while she shops, or just other times when i'm bored and waiting. bonus points if I can share save files with my computer.

We still haven't been made aware with how long the battery will last. if it is a million mile battery, you would just need to replace it if it degrades too much for your needs. I will personally replace my battery the instant they come out with solid state battery modules for the Tesla.

I plan to keep my first truck even after I get the Cybertruck. I'll give my car to my wife, she'll give her car to a friend, i'll probably sell my Jeep. But the Cybertruck will be mine forever. My First truck and my first Cybertruck will stay with me till the day I die.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
bonus points if I can share save files with my computer.
Hate iPad as my mobile computer. Better than nothing, would 2nd screen display onto Tesla ENT in Cybertruck.

The-real Cyber innovation, Tesla uses dual AMD’s running Apple operating systems iPad OS/Mac OS natively. Apple iCAR surely needs FSD TeslaVISION so might as well make best of the best out of it!

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Personally, I doubt there will be a plaid CT as the only "performance" metrics commonly associated with trucks is towing and load carrying capacities. And CT already has impressive numbers in those categories.

Further the 0-60 time of the tri-motor variant is already very impressive for a truck.
Yeah I’m open to be corrected, but I’m pretty dang sure the 2.9 to 60 is the fastest production truck ever and would be the fastest 4x4 ever if it weren’t for the Model X. The 2.9 makes it quicker than the 400k Lambo suv and the Bentley thing.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Well, the high speed is good, but how about the low speed? Just in case of tight parking or approaching the loading deck, isn't there a chance to accelerate accidently and hit something with such a sharp accelerator pedal?

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
New seats probably, but that's a pretty reasonable price compared to a new vehicle, especially if the seats are fine and you just replace the leather...

...I plan to keep my first truck even after I get the Cybertruck. I'll give my car to my wife, she'll give her car to a friend, i'll probably sell my Jeep. But the Cybertruck will be mine forever. My First truck and my first Cybertruck will stay with me till the day I die.
In a very similar way I am right there with you. I wrench on cars and truck for my fun and intellectual interest. I have a 1966 Ford Galaxie that I am rebuilding from the ground up, an F250, and an 88 Dakota that I plan to modify. When I get the C.T. around a year (or two) from now, I'm going to keep wrenching. I just won't "have to". If there is one thing in this world I want to be known for, it is that things work better after I work on them. Who knows, maybe the Galaxie will get an electric drivetrain too.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well, the high speed is good, but how about the low speed? Just in case of tight parking or approaching the loading deck, isn't there a chance to accelerate accidently and hit something with such a sharp accelerator pedal?
I don't own a Tesla, but I've seen the media report accidents over the years of Tesla drivers hitting buildings and other stuff (just like all drivers). But this makes me wonder, since Tesla has so many cameras and sensors, why not change throttle response based on conditions. Say for example, as your pulling into parking spaces or your garage or driving up to any wall/ object, the vehicle goes into a creep mode with throttle response.
Sponsored