Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR, Renault Zoe, Chevy P30 RV
Occupation
Car testing and Inspection Engineer
Country flag
Holy Motherfucking SHIT. That thing is beyond huge. And there's only one place in the world slated to install a Giga press. Giga Austin, thank you very much. Cybertruck is getting closer, I can almost smell it a la Anthony Hopkins.
You can‘t smell it, it‘s an EV!
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My second car had undisclosed damage to the frame when I bought it and in a hard stopping situation became unaligned and so I ended up in a single car accident. I was able to drive home, but I never drove that car again; a car that doesn't do what you need to stay on the road was not a car I was going to drive. I walked and bussed for two years instead of driving it. Eventually the sale of it was the basis for the down payment of my first new car.

Frame damage sucks. But the frame being a gigacasting or welded doesn't change this. It doesn't matter if it's 1996 or 2022.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
RIght, and the point is regarding cost. No one would try to repair the aluminum casting by sawing or welding on parts to fix it so you are essentially totaled. But, its very likely that an experienced body shop would be willing to repair a steel frame if their was value enough in the vehicle.
Well, you're wrong.

Elon said Tesla will offer replacement extensions that repair shops can bolt on after they have cut off the damaged part at the approved location. This will only be a manufacturer approved repair if the damage does not extend back into the main portion of the mega-casting.

That said, I don't know why any rational person would worry about a crash that will likely never happen - that's what insurance is for! And Tesla is rapidly expanding their auto insurance business state by state and will have the lowest rates in the insurance industry for the best drivers.

I would only worry about such things if I knew I wasn't competent to drive and accidents were bound to happen. But I've gone 42 years of driving without an accident and I don't plan to start crashing now. If I did crash, the Cybertruck can be repaired after minor accidents. Serious accidents will total any car or truck.

Stop worrying about things beyond your control!

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Well, you're wrong.

Elon said Tesla will offer replacement extensions that repair shops can bolt on after they have cut off the damaged part at the approved location. This will only be a manufacturer approved repair if the damage does not extend back into the main portion of the mega-casting.

That said, I don't know why any rational person would worry about a crash that will likely never happen - that's what insurance is for! And Tela is rapidly expanding their auto insurance business state by state and will have the lowest rates in the insurance industry for the best drivers.

I would only worry about such things if I knew I wasn't competent to drive and accidents were bound to happen. But I've gone 42 years of driving without an accident and I don't plan to start crashing now. If I did crash, the Cybertruck can be repaired after minor accidents. Serious accidents will total any car or truck.

Stop worrying about things beyond your control!
Wow. I guess time will tell.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
RIght, and the point is regarding cost. No one would try to repair the aluminum casting by sawing or welding on parts to fix it so you are essentially totaled. But, its very likely that an experienced body shop would be willing to repair a steel frame if their was value enough in the vehicle.
You are saying nothing here.

If you smash a car hard enough to damage the front assembly on a Tesla, it is almost certain you have bent the living shit out of the entire frame. Unless it’s a collector’s car, it is totaled because the cost of repairing that frame is more than the cost to just replace it.

This is doubly true with an EV where the battery pack can be salvaged and is likely about a quarter the cost of the vehicle.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You are saying nothing here.

If you smash a car hard enough to damage the front assembly on a Tesla, it is almost certain you have bent the living shit out of the entire frame. Unless it’s a collector’s car, it is totaled because the cost of repairing that frame is more than the cost to just replace it.

This is doubly true with an EV where the battery pack can be salvaged and is likely about a quarter the cost of the vehicle.
I didn’t realize I was dealing with so many collision experts on here.
My claim and concern is that the CT unibody and structural pack inherently have higher risk of being totalled, which is just true. Just like a unibody design does vs a traditional body on frame. I know that’s hard for Tesla fans to hear. Hopefully their great engineering has accounted for this and has equally reduced the risk of permanent damage to those parts.
We all can recall the battery that had a broken plastic cooling fluid port that Tesla claimed needed to be entirely replaced. Tesla engineering isn’t perfect.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I didn’t realize I was dealing with so many collision experts on here.
My claim and concern is that the CT unibody and structural pack inherently have higher risk of being totalled, which is just true.
Typical Rando on the forums “You aren’t an expert on this, here is the real truth…”

😂🙄

I agree, I am not a collision repair expert.

But I’m a lot more willing to listen to someone who actually researched the topic than random dude on the web.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The force of the molten metal is injected would be a pressure, stated in so much force/per area. The 9000 tons is just a total force so likely the clamping force of the two halves of the injection molding dies. The metal goes in at such a high pressure it's like an explosion that happens between the two halves of the die so a lot of force is needed at that instant.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Typical Rando on the forums “You aren’t an expert on this, here is the real truth…”

😂🙄

I agree, I am not a collision repair expert.

But I’m a lot more willing to listen to someone who actually researched the topic than random dude on the web.

I am a certified you tube collision repair expert. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that if you can remove a damaged casting, regardless of other damage, as long as you can hammer jam the replacement part in place and bolt it in, you're goood! :unsure: :whistle:

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I want to know, why is the mold not set to cast me a desk weight CT during the Giga casting to be include with the truck?
sounds like a fun project 0.0

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Who keeps searching for nail fungus remedies causing an unpleasant appearance ad to show repeatedly? See a doctor and get that taken care of!

(/off topic)
Sponsored