Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't expect any :) or (y) for this video. I had no idea these presses were such a fire hazard.

Well, Tesla already had one fire. It's why there's nothing upstairs from them, and their installation in Fremont was basically outdoors. (Unlike in that video! The plastic ceiling panels did not contain the fire like they should have.)

They use vegetable oil on the hot surfaces of the inside of the casting, as well as contain high pressure hydraulic fluid. Molten metals that are cast in vacuum can themselves oxidize and increase in temperature when spilled. And some of the refrigerants are also combustible.

Lots bad things can happen.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Wow, that went bad quick!!! It looks like the hydraulic line at the top of that piston blew, spewing hydraulic fluid like a massive fountain. Some fluid ignited on hot surfaces to start a fire, but then there was a flash explosion which probably blew the ceiling tiles in all directions only to have hydraulic fluid all over everything feed the fire. That guy ran back to his work station for his cell phone. He was VERY lucky not to become a fatality.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Having taken many purple showers, I can assure you the Aircraft hoses are not that much better.
If the 9000T is beyond standard hose, aeroquip spec then it‘s off to the pro’s. 9000 ton isn’t new pressure. Synthetic diamond(HP) is made at ~700,000+ psi. That’s solved engineering.
Built Norton Christensen downhole drilling diamond synthesis lab ~1980 and no firewalls were required on its huge press. But the project was secret; never seeing the actual press or allowed in after-installation.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Another open house video posted.

No info at all, just neat to see the fake truck has a press and how yuge it is.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the 9000T is beyond standard hose, aeroquip spec then it‘s off to the pro’s. 9000 ton isn’t new pressure. Synthetic diamond(HP) is made at ~700,000+ psi. That’s solved engineering.
Built Norton Christensen downhole drilling diamond synthesis lab ~1980 and no firewalls were required on its huge press. But the project was secret; never seeing the actual press or allowed in after-installation.
I'm no expert, but isn't 9000 ton (2,000) equal to 18 million pounds, or 25 times 700.000? Just asking the question.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm no expert, but isn't 9000 ton (2,000) equal to 18 million pounds, or 25 times 700.000? Just asking the question.
Oh, and one more thing, when Elon said the CT body, I think he might be texting/talking about the exoskeleton. Now I have no idea if that would be aluminum or not. Perhaps a metallurgist can inform us of what material could be used. Although it would not be cold rolled. Hmmm.