Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I love many, many things about the CT and what was delivered. There are a few things that are coming out now that they are in the wild that will be disappointing for the unaware buyer. That is the same with pretty much any vehicle...no vehicle is perfect. This thread is just pointing to probably the biggest one and that is useable range. If someone is thinking to replace a truck, they are used to getting at least 500 miles of useable range driving the highway at highway speeds. Some trucks as much as 700 miles. Load down the bed and the range drops very little. Put a trailer on it and it drops more. Get an poor aero utility trailer for instance and the useable range I would expect to be somewhere between 350 to 400 miles for a decent ICE truck. This issue is that unladen, the CT is only getting 210 useable miles of driving on the highway. I know the range test was 254 miles, but that was 100% to dead...so really 203 miles to go from 90 to 10.

You add heavy cargo in the bed (tonneau closed) and I think the hit is not that bad, but you will be more like 190 miles useable range...can push it a bit more but no one would want to do that on the regular. I predict that towing with the CT at highway speeds will be great from an experience standpoint, but abysmal with regards to range. Depending on drag, it will be anywhere from 150 to 175 miles absolute maxed out range...so 120 to 140 miles useable range.
How many people do that with 1/2 ton pickups?

Most I know are using 3/4 tone or bigger trucks.
Sponsored

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag

I'm not talking towing an RV trailer. I'm talking towing a 1 or 2 axle light duty utility trailer. I see 1/2 ton trucks doing that all the time. Going out to my hunting property, I see half the trucks that neighbors have that are bringing feed are half ton trucks. The other half are 3/4 ton trucks. You will see half ton and 3/4 ton with a side by side on a utility trailer or pulling a bass boat. You will rarely see 1 ton truck with that task. Most people that buy 1 ton truck bought it to pull an RV trailer. The CT was launched as a 1/2 to to 3/4 ton replacement. Obviously, 1/2 tons are by far the majority of the market, so Tesla marketed against the F150. But I feel your question is more a distraction than constructive. The point is the CT just needs more juice to tackle the type of task that 1/2 ton trucks routinely tackle at any kind of respectable range. They had it right when they targeted 500 miles EPA range. Dropping down to 340 or 320 EPA range puts it in a space that doesn't replace a good portion of 1/2 ton trucks. I saw the pivot when Elon was on some podcast. He started saying range past 300 doesn't matter. Then he called it a car at the delivery event. I do think Tesla pivoted when they weren't getting the range and thinks of this more as a city vehicle than a truck for rural communities and it is all related to achieving below expectations on the range numbers.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm not talking towing an RV trailer. I'm talking towing a 1 or 2 axle light duty utility trailer. I see 1/2 ton trucks doing that all the time. Going out to my hunting property, I see half the trucks that neighbors have that are bringing feed are half ton trucks. The other half are 3/4 ton trucks. You will see half ton and 3/4 ton with a side by side on a utility trailer or pulling a bass boat. You will rarely see 1 ton truck with that task. Most people that buy 1 ton truck bought it to pull an RV trailer. The CT was launched as a 1/2 to to 3/4 ton replacement. Obviously, 1/2 tons are by far the majority of the market, so Tesla marketed against the F150. But I feel your question is more a distraction than constructive. The point is the CT just needs more juice to tackle the type of task that 1/2 ton trucks routinely tackle at any kind of respectable range. They had it right when they targeted 500 miles EPA range. Dropping down to 340 or 320 EPA range puts it in a space that doesn't replace a good portion of 1/2 ton trucks. I saw the pivot when Elon was on some podcast. He started saying range past 300 doesn't matter. Then he called it a car at the delivery event. I do think Tesla pivoted when they weren't getting the range and thinks of this more as a city vehicle than a truck for rural communities and it is all related to achieving below expectations on the range numbers.
Absolutely.

But the landscaper who is hauling the zero turns isn't doing 100 miles in a day.
The bass boats aren't going that far. If they are, they are being pulled with 3/4 ton.

I've got land out in the country, I'm quite familiar with the F-150 delivering feed to the cows. I remember loading and unloading the hay. But I also know that the truck went on long trips to town.
Yep, they were really long trips that they'd barely would do once a week. That was 45 miles away.
I've also got some folks hunting on that land. Land that I've driven my Model 3 all over. (Sure, if the ruts get about a foot deep and I can't straddle them, I have to turn around, but someone generally takes the tractor over it before then)

There just seems to be a big I gotta do this AND this AND this. Where in reality, it mostly this or this or this.

Sure, there are those who do this and this and this. Even the 500 mile range (which Tesla is expecting to deliver) probably won't fit their needs.

Yes, Tesla is hoping to get you the 500 miles EPA range truck. That's what the battery extender is far.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I accept your apology and I do owe you one. You are right. I responded in a mean and not constructive manner. I was getting irritated at a bunch of the fanboys/apologists defending beyond all reason the disappointing range numbers and what appears to be (so far) quite disappointing charging statistics. I'm sorry for the language and I shoudn't have been so snarky.

Cd of the SilvErado is 0.331. CT 0.335. Rivian 0.30, Lightning, 0.44, Hummer 0.5. The CT is on the low end, but is definitely not the best in class on cD. Some here think everything about the CT is best in class and will defend that position despite any and all facts that point otherwise. I joined the site back in 2020 when I put in my reservation to get information about the CT and how it was developing, not to be a fan that can't accept facts or to be given misinformation from fans and I make no apologies for that. The site is cybertruckowners club, not cybertruckfans club IIRC.

I love many, many things about the CT and what was delivered. There are a few things that are coming out now that they are in the wild that will be disappointing for the unaware buyer. That is the same with pretty much any vehicle...no vehicle is perfect. This thread is just pointing to probably the biggest one and that is useable range. If someone is thinking to replace a truck, they are used to getting at least 500 miles of useable range driving the highway at highway speeds. Some trucks as much as 700 miles. Load down the bed and the range drops very little. Put a trailer on it and it drops more. Get an poor aero utility trailer for instance and the useable range I would expect to be somewhere between 350 to 400 miles for a decent ICE truck. This issue is that unladen, the CT is only getting 210 useable miles of driving on the highway. I know the range test was 254 miles, but that was 100% to dead...so really 203 miles to go from 90 to 10.

You add heavy cargo in the bed (tonneau closed) and I think the hit is not that bad, but you will be more like 190 miles useable range...can push it a bit more but no one would want to do that on the regular. I predict that towing with the CT at highway speeds will be great from an experience standpoint, but abysmal with regards to range. Depending on drag, it will be anywhere from 150 to 175 miles absolute maxed out range...so 120 to 140 miles useable range.

I just wish this thing had a 175 kWhr battery pack in it standard. Normal daily driving it would not need that much and I fully agree range during normal, everyday, average driving is not an issue. Go on any road trip where a truck is needed as opposed to a SUV or Sedan, and the CT just doesn't have the capacity to make it competitive with existing options. This is the rub, and people typically look at the margins when they make buying decisions. CT buyers at this range will be limited to current EV enthusiasts and not penetrate into the traditional truck market. That is a disappointment.
Fair enough! We're good.

I look at the reservations, which the tracker overwhelming indicates were for the Dual Motor. The closest model they are delivering is the AWD. Note that I believe there is a difference. But the target range for that was 300 miles. Now everyone is crying that the CB doesn't do 500 miles. So, if people have reservations for the dual, and the AWD that is being delivered has better EPA range (the delta is a whole different discussion) than the target, then why all the crying? I've seen a couple people who have posted some really harsh stuff about not getting 500 miles and how Tesla "failed" at their "promises" and then looked at their previous posts, and low and behold, they claim to have reserved a dual?!?!? The dual NEVER had a 500 mile target!

And when it comes to range, I ain't driving 5 hours, much less 6,7,8, or 10 without stopping. I don't know too many people that WANT to. And yes, I understand towing penalties. But still, towing a trailer with a 250 mile range is +/- 5 hours. I need some nourishment somewhere in there. And the days of carrying a cooler full of cold lunchmeat and chips went bye-bye when I moved out of my parent's place and on my own! (and that was quite some time ago). Get me a hot burger and fries and a cold beverage! So, all this chest pounding about range makes little sense to me, I do understand that there are a few cases where there isn't a SC along a route someone might drive. And for that, there are multiple solutions. 1. Don't buy a CT until it gets the range you need. 2. Don't buy a CT until someone puts in a SC along your route. 3. Get a range extender. 4. Wait for the next battery upgrade with or without a RE. 5. Go buy something else that works for you and your particular situation. 6. Give up, you were never meant to have a BEV.

I'm not buying the truck part, I'm buying the cyber part. I'm not towing anything anywhere. I'm not hauling dirt bikes. I don't have a lawn business. I do deliver custom furniture a couple times a year, but never far. I've always just rented a truck for those few occasions. Having my own will eliminate that, but not really a big deal either way.

Nope, the CT ain't the be all end all of everything. It has to be a compromise in quite a few areas. The only issue is if they compromised something that you HAVE to have.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
So Tesla should just ignore the fact that most garages aren’t 24’ and make the truck for real truck people with real truck garages that then turn around and say it doesn’t have enough range for them cause they can’t drive from New York to California without stopping more than once. I guess that makes sense.
Yes, a lot of people cannot fit their pickups in their BMW garages and have to park them outside. The question is: is CT a truck or a sedan? In its current iteration, I am going to go with CT being closer to a sedan than a F250. The eSilverado, however, is comparable to a F150 (but not a F250). Chevy states it intends to bring out heftier eSilverados to compete with F250 and F350. Note the Chevy WT4 will not fit in your 20 ft. garage, either. I design custom houses and I have never designed a 20 ft. garage.

It appears the real range for the CT is less than 260 miles of freeway driving (see other posts), The WT4 has 450 miles under similar conditions. About the only thing I can say about CT that is not a disappointment is it looks real good.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Yes, a lot of people cannot fit their pickups in their BMW garages and have to park them outside. The question is: is CT a truck or a sedan? In its current iteration, I am going to go with CT being closer to a sedan than a F250. The eSilverado, however, is comparable to a F150 (but not a F250). Chevy states it intends to bring out heftier eSilverados to compete with F250 and F350. Note the Chevy WT4 will not fit in your 20 ft. garage, either. I design custom houses and I have never designed a 20 ft. garage.

It appears the real range for the CT is less than 260 miles of freeway driving (see other posts), The WT4 has 450 miles under similar conditions. About the only thing I can say about CT that is not a disappointment is it looks real good.
The Cybertruck was designed to compete with the Ford F150 which fits in 20’ garages. Comparing it to longer and larger trucks then getting upset it’s not the same is just silly. It doesn’t matter what size garage you design or build, Tesla is a business that responded to folks complaining that it wouldn’t fit their garages. Better to accommodate them than someone who’s complaining that it’s nit the same as a Ford F350.

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
ordered the tri, very disappointed that Tesla hasn't put enuf of the promised range in it. Halfway out the door on this purchase but holding out that Tesla sees their mistake and corrects it.
If Toyota made a Tundra or Tacoma plugin hybrid I would drop this cybertruck thought and jump at it.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
ordered the tri, very disappointed that Tesla hasn't put enuf of the promised range in it. Halfway out the door on this purchase but holding out that Tesla sees their mistake and corrects it.
If Toyota made a Tundra or Tacoma plugin hybrid I would drop this cybertruck thought and jump at it.
They are still hoping to meet that promise. Don't count them out yet.

Musselmanc

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
LANL
Country flag

Does Tesla need to update the Cybertruck’s ranges based on the new EPA requirements?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Does Tesla need to update the Cybertruck’s ranges based on the new EPA requirements?
That may be the result of the new guidance.

But it really doesn't matter. If you go above about 60, you will get less, if you go below about 60, you will get more. Model 3, with nearly the same number has been demonstrated at 600 miles.

And for the vast majority of people and trips, it doesn't matter.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
The Cybertruck was designed to compete with the Ford F150 which fits in 20’ garages. Comparing it to longer and larger trucks then getting upset it’s not the same is just silly. It doesn’t matter what size garage you design or build, Tesla is a business that responded to folks complaining that it wouldn’t fit their garages. Better to accommodate them than someone who’s complaining that it’s nit the same as a Ford F350.
So, I have a 2010 K2500 Silverado Crew Cab. I just went out and measured from the front bumper to the rear bumper. 240 inches exactly, if the trailer hitch is removed. The Ford web site says the 6.5 ft. F150 crew cab is 243.5 inches. A 20 ft. garage is 20 feet between the walls. BUT, the garage door track is set 3" into the door opening; so, 19.75 feet of space. Neither the Ford nor the Chevy will fit in a typical 20 ft. garage. But at 18.75 feet the CT will, barely. What I am "upset" about is Elon built the CT to compete with cars and Chevy Colorado class pickups, thereby sacrificing precious battery space.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So, I have a 2010 K2500 Silverado Crew Cab. I just went out and measured from the front bumper to the rear bumper. 240 inches exactly, if the trailer hitch is removed. The Ford web site says the 6.5 ft. F150 crew cab is 243.5 inches. A 20 ft. garage is 20 feet between the walls. BUT, the garage door track is set 3" into the door opening; so, 19.75 feet of space. Neither the Ford nor the Chevy will fit in a typical 20 ft. garage. But at 18.75 feet the CT will, barely. What I am "upset" about is Elon built the CT to compete with cars and Chevy Colorado class pickups, thereby sacrificing precious battery space.
He specifically said they designed it to compete with the F150 because it was the best selling truck in the country. Considering they were building something that did not ever exist to compete with something that has been produced for nearly 50 years, the fact that it had to be a a little shorter is of little consequence. The truck is the truck. Being “upset” won’t change that. Everyone wants a truck that meets their specific needs. They had to engineer the truck they wanted to sell, not the truck everyone wanted to buy based on what they wanted it to be. Either it works for your situation or it doesn’t. The story ends at that point.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
He specifically said they designed it to compete with the F150 because it was the best selling truck in the country. Considering they were building something that did not ever exist to compete with something that has been produced for nearly 50 years, the fact that it had to be a a little shorter is of little consequence. The truck is the truck. Being “upset” won’t change that. Everyone wants a truck that meets their specific needs. They had to engineer the truck they wanted to sell, not the truck everyone wanted to buy based on what they wanted it to be. Either it works for your situation or it doesn’t. The story ends at that point.
So, my "situation" is I need a pickup, not some good looking road queen. I need it to be able to tow trailers and carry a heavy load. Think contractor. Four years ago, Elon said 14,000 lbs. towing and 500 miles of range. Now, we finally have the real product, a ton and a half less towing and 240 miles less range. That is not insignificant and does not work for my situation. However, I want the quad motor and Tesla will not make those until at least 2025. My delivery date is February 16th, 2025: but we know how good Tesla is at keeping promises. So, not holding my breath. Maybe, over a year from now, CT will have the range, payload and towing. If not, RST here I come (it should be there by then). Remember, Chevy has been making EV's longer than Tesla. Not as good looking but more functional.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So, my "situation" is I need a pickup, not some good looking road queen. I need it to be able to tow trailers and carry a heavy load. Think contractor. Four years ago, Elon said 14,000 lbs. towing and 500 miles of range. Now, we finally have the real product, a ton and a half less towing and 240 miles less range. That is not insignificant and does not work for my situation. However, I want the quad motor and Tesla will not make those until at least 2025. My delivery date is February 16th, 2025: but we know how good Tesla is at keeping promises. So, not holding my breath. Maybe, over a year from now, CT will have the range, payload and towing. If not, RST here I come (it should be there by then). Remember, Chevy has been making EV's longer than Tesla. Not as good looking but more functional.
If he’s not giving you the range you want now, what makes you really think he’s going to give it to you in 2025 or any other time? They offered the range extender for those that needed additional range past what is offered now. If he does make a truck with the “promised” 500 miles of range people would just complain that it’s only 430 “real world “ highway and 250 While towing. If you need a pickup and not a road queen just buy one and stop complaining.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag

I currently have a Silverado K2500 crew cab. When the guy at the pit drops a bucket load into my 16 ft. PJ trailer, it weights 16,000 lbs. The trailer weights 4,800 lbs. So, I am towing 20,800 lbs. The Chevy handles it, but it is straining. Lucky for me it is a short run to my property. I did not anticipate that loading and should have bought a K3500 (one ton) instead of the 3/4 ton. What will CT do with that overload? Will it even move? I am well aware the range will go to 7734, and that happens with the Chevy: 13 m.p.g. to 8.5 m.p.g. With the eSilverado, the range drops from 450 to 240. The Lightning goes down to 70 miles. I don't care about the range, I just want to know if CT will even move?
Sponsored