Cybertruck reveal viewing party and reactions!

Deckard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spinner
Occupation
Special bounty hunter
Country flag
First, Elon really needs to hire someone to do these reveals. The breaking of the windows just added to the already awkward presentation. People said Ford's reveal of the Mach-E earlier this week was scripted and stiff. After this Tesla reveal, Ford's reveal could win an Emmy.

Next, yea, I was kinda expecting some special effect or change in presentation after that "DeLorean-F150 offspring mutant" rolled out on the stage. When he said it was bulletproof, all I could envision at that point was orders being placed by drug lords and gang bangers ... well, until the windows broke. OMG!

Two things - I think the TSLA shorts are going to have a field day with this and I can see pre-orders for Rivian increasing. It's a shame, I was really hoping something a little more mainstream and a little less futuristic of a look.

Well, FWIW, I did like the E-ATV. Kinda wish he would have given some specs on it. I wonder if it was just a prop or if they plan on producing them.

CYBRTRKPILOT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Commercial Airline Pilot
Country flag
I'm not going to lie. This reveal has made me more likely to wait for and buy the electric F-150. You know Ford was taking notes and is going to out-Tesla Tesla when they release it.

GMsLoss

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Silverado, 2018 Model 3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
DO NOT WASTE MY TIME on a MASSIVE futuristic vehicle reveal bragging about how hot shit your glass is only to have college freshman ass lookin’ Mc’lovin blow out a window with the physical equivalent of a death cab for cutie power ballad.
[/QUOTE]
The guy throwing the ball was Franz Von Holzhausen. Tesla’s Chief Designer.

CYBRTRKPILOT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Commercial Airline Pilot
Country flag
DO NOT WASTE MY TIME on a MASSIVE futuristic vehicle reveal bragging about how hot shit your glass is only to have college freshman ass lookin’ Mc’lovin blow out a window with the physical equivalent of a death cab for cutie power ballad.
The guy throwing the ball was Franz Von Holzhausen. Tesla’s Chief Designer.
[/QUOTE]

Not anymore

Alext

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback 2016, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2013
Country flag
No flasher lights, no side mirror, how this super rigid exterior will react to impact when it is suppose to absorb them to protect occupants? And what about regulations about protecting pedestrians in case they get hurt? And no details about the interior, no demonstrations of the offroad capacity. Just a box that get on the stage and don't move.

No way this thing will be in production. I'm sure this was a joke, or a test for the media, or whatever. I just can't to believe that thing will go to production.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, i3, Zero DS, F-250, CT & Aptera res
Occupation
Oracle Database Developer
Country flag
Hold on now...

“When a foolish man hears of the Tao,
he laughs out loud at the very idea.
If it were not for that laugh,
it would not be the Tao.” - Lau Tzu

When we see something that is so different from our established idea of “truck shape” we are certainly going to laugh out loud. But we should realize “truck shape” or “truckness” is being redefined in the electric realm. There is no need for a hood anymore - that’s an ICE relic. The shape of the Cybrtrk is very aerodynamic...it basically reminds me of an F-117 Nighthawk or a SR-71 Blackbird... or even the Flying Wing. This is how it’s going to get a 300 mile range off of a 75-90 kWh battery. It’s center of gravity is just above the axel line...this thing is going to rock crawl like nothing before it.

The utility of it is apparent. The issue with the windows will be resolved before production. Maybe you were expecting a Rivian because of Tesla’s history of “luxury” models. Rivians are nice looking trucks but they are made to fit the ICE-derived idea of “truckness”...the Rivian doesn’t need that long hood. The Rivian sacrifices a lot of efficiency for style - style that may appear antiquated in just a few years. The Rivian is going to cost more because it’s going to need bigger batteries to do the same job. The F-150 EV will probably suffer from the same thing. The CYBRTRK is going to start out at half the price of the Rivian and you will actually be able to use it as a work truck.

So before you just write it off as ugly first ask yourself why you think it’s ugly. Because it doesn’t look like an ICE truck?

rustycarburetor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma/Boxster/3 Harleys/BMW
Hold on now...

“When a foolish man hears of the Tao,
he laughs out loud at the very idea.
If it were not for that laugh,
it would not be the Tao.” - Lau Tzu

When we see something that is so different from our established idea of “truck shape” we are certainly going to laugh out loud. But we should realize “truck shape” or “truckness” is being redefined in the electric realm. There is no need for a hood anymore - that’s an ICE relic. The shape of the Cybrtrk is very aerodynamic...it basically reminds me of an F-117 Nighthawk or a SR-71 Blackbird... or even the Flying Wing. This is how it’s going to get a 300 mile range off of a 75-90 kWh battery. It’s center of gravity is just above the axel line...this thing is going to rock crawl like nothing before it.

The utility of it is apparent. The issue with the windows will be resolved before production. Maybe you were expecting a Rivian because of Tesla’s history of “luxury” models. Rivians are nice looking trucks but they are made to fit the ICE-derived idea of “truckness”...the Rivian doesn’t need that long hood. The Rivian sacrifices a lot of efficiency for style - style that may appear antiquated in just a few years. The Rivian is going to cost more because it’s going to need bigger batteries to do the same job. The F-150 EV will probably suffer from the same thing. The CYBRTRK is going to start out at half the price of the Rivian and you will actually be able to use it as a work truck.

So before you just write it off as ugly first ask yourself why you think it’s ugly. Because it doesn’t look like an ICE truck?
Its not being reluctant to change, or anti expressive in a progressive sense. It looked like soft cat shit wrapped in wet cardboard and spray painted silver.
We were promised powerful. Forward thinking. Expressive. Challenging. Dominant. Instead?
What looks like a 1980’s Chrysler concept?

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Dual Motor
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Having driven a lot of off-road miles, this is designed for off-roading. (I have had Jeeps for years - this will be much, much, much better!) Then I realized that Elon is from South Africa where there is lots of rough off-roading to do.

This truck is ready to rock-n-roll off-road! The long-travel four-wheel independent and automated air suspension is fantastic! The straight strong shapes are especially needed for off-roading. The approach angles allow crossing creeks and dealing with boulders.

My bet is that most that do not like it have not done serious off-roading.

AND this thing with its automated air suspension drives like a Porsche on the road!

Fantastic!! I ordered three!

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Dual Motor
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
My conclusion: This must be great art! Some people love it and some people hate it.

THat's the way it goes with all great art!

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, i3, Zero DS, F-250, CT & Aptera res
Occupation
Oracle Database Developer
Country flag
So, I've reserved one based on what I've seen so far. That being said, if before the final production version they just made the cabin a little more sleek - that's it, nothing else. Just a little off the top.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reveal viewing party and reactions! Tesla-Cybertruck-round-to

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So, I've reserved one based on what I've seen so far. That being said, if before the final production version they just made the cabin a little more sleek - that's it, nothing else. Just a little off the top.
I said the exact same thing when it rolled on stage....cut a bit off the top and make it round. But then I thought of the whole exoskeleton thing (I'd like to know how exactly that differs from a monocoque chassis) and the fact that the roof apex is essential for transferring the structural loads of the wheels and mass throughout the body, as it forms a triangle. It appears the "chassis" frame is actually two triangular trusses on either side of the car, that is then interconnected by the crossbars in the roof, front of the windscreen and rear window, essentially forming a bridge like structure. Like a flatter version of this:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reveal viewing party and reactions! RgLjI0p3C7_TZe9sI0y5TOHu4zH49LYetENGSimXs2S-SazUTL

Together with the battery forming the floor of the "bridge", this design is very efficient overall, and should lead to exceptional torsional and longitudinal stiffness, which is essential for a off road vehicle, let alone a vehicle that needs to carry weight. Together with the use of stainless steel could see a overall reduction in weight, like with Starship. Not having any paintwork significantly reduces the manufacturing setup cost ($200m) and because the two sides are the chassis allows most of the steel to be used there, which results in enough material to make it bullet proof. (I'm not 100% on how the doors tie into the structure yet) That is quite a good way to leverage all of the design components to add a extra "feature" IMHO.

The trick is to keep the airflow over the apex laminar and I think they might using a few tricks to achieve this, potentially by actively creating a negative pressure area behind the apex. This is the same reason for integrating the bed cover, so that the airflow can be managed properly instead of having a bed that acts like a parachute. The tail needs to be formed such that the airflow over the rear Kammbach remains laminar to reduce creating turbulent vertices behind the vehicle when traveling at speed. (think of a truck slipstream) Without that it wouldn't have the range.

The consequence of having a 110/240V connection that is cable of charging other vehicles is potentially game changing a well. You could run your house for a few days off the battery, meaning you could by cheap power off peak on a Tesla charger and take it to your "off-grid" home. Plus, you could potentially act as a power source for other EVs that are stranded. Then obviously for trades on the building this will make a huge impact.Also ideal for RV's with A/C. Every avenue gets rid of even more emissions, small ICE are particularly inefficient, in particular that they can't load follow.

The more I look at the engineering of it, the more like it!
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reveal viewing party and reactions! Tesla Cybertruck Key Chain Giveaway Contest 4-2

Last edited by a moderator:

Autobreza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TLS, CLS
Occupation
Project Manager
So, so, so, so, disappointed.

Cybertruck actually makes the Pontiac Aztek look sexy. I honestly was waiting for the side panels to drop and reveal the "real" pickup". Elon appears to have lost his "Jobs" aura.

I am absolutely OK with creating a new category of vehicle/truck design, but as a young company whose future in EVs can be shaken by any number of external factors and influences, this appears to me to be a major misstep. The design seems to speak to the inner Elon, which is better left to work on niche products for niches markets and not mainstream vehicles. I know. what you are thinking - Elon said that this won't be for everyone - but I would be very surprised if the initial year breaks 50,000 units.

Just a few observations about the truck: This obviously is nowhere near a production-ready vehicle, unlike other reveals. It is more of a styling exercise. Where are the rear view mirrors (cameras?), non-DOT approved lighting, missing side markers, not to mention what the outward visibility must be like given the extreme front droop.

And the reveal was a pitiful production and the appearance of a headline grab.

So disappointed, but hopeful.

Edit: I can barely make out the side marker lights in some images, less so in others.
Sponsored

Last edited: