Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I've been thinking about what kind of tires would work best on a CT. Especially given the myriad situations that I could see myself and my trusty CT3 getting into. Most of the time I'd like to have efficient tires that provide a smooth ride on the highway. But then when I get to a cool off-road trail I'd like to have super large knobby tires that are capable of pulling me up a rocky incline. Or pulling off to the side of the road, it would be nice to keep from getting stuck in slippery mud. And the more recent concern of keeping the tires from being eaten by porcupines.

So how about some tires that could work in all those situations? I get that these have not been proven out yet but I do see promise. With modern materials and Tesla ingenuity, these might just get to a point of practicality.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Origami based tires can change shape while a vehicle is moving

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Tire Alternatives Origami-based-tires-can-change-shape-while-a-vehicle-is

A team of researchers affiliated with Seoul National University, Harvard University and Hankook Tire and Technology Co. Ltd., has developed a tire based on an origami design that allows for changing the shape of a tire while a vehicle is moving. In their paper published in the journal Science Robotics, the group describes their new tire design and how well it worked when tested.

Origami is an art that involves folding paper to create a desired shape or figure. Originating with Japanese artists hundreds of years ago, it has become an international pastime. In more recent years, it has caught the interest of engineers who have used origami designs to create usable objects out of plastics and metals. In this new effort, the researchers have extended an origami design called a waterbomb tessellation—it involves creating a single wheel that can have two configurations depending on how it is used by a person holding it. The researchers have ramped up the design by making its facets out of metals such as aluminum and connecting them together using other materials.

The researchers realized the design in a variety of sizes—some of which were as large as automobile tires. The design could switch between configurations while bearing a heavy load and while serving as tires on a vehicle in motion. To test the capabilities of the design, they created several wheels that served as tires on a variety of vehicles. In all cases, the main difference between the two configurations was height. They demonstrated, for example, a vehicle sporting the specialized tires in the tall configuration as it approached a low underpass—too low for the vehicle to drive under with its initial configuration. The driver switched the tires to the low configuration as the vehicle was still moving, allowing the vehicle to pass beneath the underpass.

The work by the team is still in its early stages and the vehicles they are making are not yet ready for the open road, but the group suggests their tires may someday be used in remote environments such as the moon or Mars, where the ability to change configurations to suit environmental conditions might come in handy.

The SMART Tire Company announces Mars Rover tires to become available for use on Earth

More information:
Dae-Young Lee et al. High–load capacity origami transformable wheel, Science Robotics (2021). DOI: 10.1126/scirobotics.abe0201

2021 Science X Network

Citation:
Origami based tires can change shape while a vehicle is moving (2021, April 27)
retrieved 28 April 2021
from https://techxplore.com/news/2021-04-origami-based-vehicle.html

This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
So I've been thinking about what kind of tires would work best on a CT. Especially given the myriad situations that I could see myself and my trusty CT3 getting into. Most of the time I'd like to have efficient tires that provide a smooth ride on the highway. But then when I get to a cool off-road trail I'd like to have super large knobby tires that are capable of pulling me up a rocky incline. Or pulling off to the side of the road, it would be nice to keep from getting stuck in slippery mud. And the more recent concern of keeping the tires from being eaten by porcupines.

So how about some tires that could work in all those situations? I get that these have not been proven out yet but I do see promise. With modern materials and Tesla ingenuity, these might just get to a point of practicality.

Maybe something like this is more versatile as long as it can handle the abuse, torque, and high speeds

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

As if money were not object..

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ezekiel's wheel will do

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Oh where to start as there are so many things wrong.

Tires account for a sizable amount of the cushioning in the suspension that looks pretty rigid.
Complexity on a heavy truck intended for rough terrain, dirt, mud, water.
Weight, un-sprung and rotational means a rough ride and worse energy consumption.

It looks cool and has some interesting from an engineering standpoint but for what would be likely a lot of money for a tire you wind up with a lot of negatives. Even in the video it looks like its a rough ride going slow.