Cybertruck Tire Size Options What Do You Choose?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, animals often veer to take collision courses that make no sense.

And Autopilot has been known not to see things that flap or flop about, like that deer jumping a guardrail or something.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I agree that FSD will be better than people expect. But deer are also known to do things like staying completely out of sight till they come crashing through a passenger side window head first. My grandmother almost died from this exact case. FSD will be better than people. But even then it will not be entirely accident proof.
I watched the video and nice to see but that was easy to detect the deer, we have a saying if you see one two more are following. Deer will hide in a stand of trees or brush and when they see your car light then they see well enough to cross. I have seen 5 bucks running across a field towards the highway, I told my wife I bet they jump out past the trees, I slowed down the guy behind me decided I was driving too slow and almost passed me when the deer ran across the Highway 2 in Idaho, the speed limit was 60 and I was doing 56 mph. That fellow got behind me and stayed there because he was not looking for deer and I was. I personally think FSD is not foolproof but I hope it works in most cases. I don't drive when I am tired or had a few drinks. When I plan a drive to another city that is two hours away I make sure to rest the night before and down a couple cups of coffee and get one for the road also I will trade off with my wife. We also have moose here, most cars can't protect you from a animal that size. Montana is behind Michigan for the second most deer contact with a vehicle just be vigilant and don't assume that deer are never in this section or area. We thinks it's funny when the state puts up a deering crossing sign, I tell my wife I didn't know deer can read road signs.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I watched the video and nice to see but that was easy to detect the deer, we have a saying if you see one two more are following. Deer will hide in a stand of trees or brush and when they see your car light then they see well enough to cross. I have seen 5 bucks running across a field towards the highway, I told my wife I bet they jump out past the trees, I slowed down the guy behind me decided I was driving too slow and almost passed me when the deer ran across the Highway 2 in Idaho, the speed limit was 60 and I was doing 56 mph. That fellow got behind me and stayed there because he was not looking for deer and I was. I personally think FSD is not foolproof but I hope it works in most cases. I don't drive when I am tired or had a few drinks. When I plan a drive to another city that is two hours away I make sure to rest the night before and down a couple cups of coffee and get one for the road also I will trade off with my wife. We also have moose here, most cars can't protect you from a animal that size. Montana is behind Michigan for the second most deer contact with a vehicle just be vigilant and don't assume that deer are never in this section or area. We thinks it's funny when the state puts up a deering crossing sign, I tell my I didn't know deer can read road signs.
I don't see this every time I drive through Montana at night but there have been trips where I'd be driving through herds of hundreds of the smaller antelope on the side of the freeway and on the island. On one trip I think I counted at least 40 antelope that had been hit fresh that night on the freeway. Those antelope are not as large as the deer or heaven forbid a moose but for a normal minivan, they can still do a lot of damage. I'm thinking most of the fresh ones had been hit by the trucks that were also driving that night. Most of the antelope seemed to stay on the grass (they were clearly there to eat the grass). The freeway grass was nice and green but the fields on either side seemed to be much more brown and dry. Not sure why that was but it really made for a hazardous drive.

And of course the deer. Might as well just post a Deer Crossing sign on the front bumper of each car as they pass into the state of well Idaho, Montana, through Wyoming, South Dakota, and Nebraska at least. Nebraska is where I was always headed. I've so far only seen moose in the Grand Tetons. But I've seen pictures of what they do to cars. And the now dead people who used to be in those cars. In Nebraska the big danger is cattle. They like to get out of their pastures and then get stuck on the road. It is deadly to pop up over a small hill at speed and ram right into a full-grown cow. Not quite the same result as a moose as the moose tends to be tall enough to do a body slam through the front windshield. But a cow will still fully stop vehicle toot sweet. This will cause your car to be totaled and possibly you too if you are not fully protected with seatbelt and airbags.

Anyway, if you are just passing through these parts. Drive slow and careful or not at all at night. It's hazardous out there.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I have a diesel gladiator on 40s, not particularly heavy ones either.

highwy mpg went from 28 to 20.5 which was expected.

there’s next to no chance 40s will ever fit on the Cybertruck and actually function without 8-10k worth of suspension work and heavy body modification and you can count on a 30%+ loss in range

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I wonder if a roo (in your case a deer) would get through the "metal" windows of the Cybertruck?

OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Country flag
I have a diesel gladiator on 40s, not particularly heavy ones either.

highwy mpg went from 28 to 20.5 which was expected.

there’s next to no chance 40s will ever fit on the Cybertruck and actually function without 8-10k worth of suspension work and heavy body modification and you can count on a 30%+ loss in range
Did you do a body lift on your jeep? and how much axle lift did you go to put on 40's?

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
Country flag
Did you do a body lift on your jeep? and how much axle lift did you go to put on 40's?
body lifts don’t exist for JL/JT platforms. (Wrangler/gladiato)
My truck has a 3” coil spring suspension lift on it

Last edited:
OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
body lifts don’t exist for JL/JT platforms. My truck has a 3” suspension lift on it
I did not realize that the wheel opening are that big already, This was years ago but my wife had a Ford ranger 4x4(86') and she bought 1' offset rims which at the time she didn't know anything about it. Of course tires would rub badly. She was mad, I made her a custom lift of three inches at the time when no such thing exsisted. Plus put new coils and added a leaf to the rear. With the wider stance and better suited suspension it rode way better plus more clearence for off-roading.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
Country flag
I did not realize that the wheel opening are that big already, This was years ago but my wife had a Ford ranger 4x4(86') and she bought 1' offset rims which at the time she didn't know anything about it. Of course tires would rub badly. She was mad, I made her a custom lift of three inches at the time when no such thing exsisted. Plus put new coils and added a leaf to the rear. With the wider stance and better suited suspension it rode way better plus more clearence for off-roading.
one of my sales guys has his gladiator on 43” tires with about a 5” lift.

things have changed a lot but coil sprung solid Axles are far easier to lift properly than independent suspension

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Maintaining correct tire pressure and correctly rotating your tires will maximize tread life. The O.E. tire will be I would think whatever Tesla can get the best deal on and which manufacturer would like to be involved in being O.E. on the Cybertruck.
In my experience, Tesla doesn't go cheap on OEM tires like most other manufacturers do. Probably because they know automotive publications review the vehicles with the OEM tires on it.

And in the case of the Cybertruck, they need to be able to handle the 3500 lb. rated load, accelerate from 0-60 in 3 seconds, corner well and tow 14K lbs. They will put a good solid tire on there and probably err on the side of a grippier rubber compound for safety and performance at the expense of maximum tread life.

My F-150 came with crappy tires that had a long tread life and poor traction and cornering response. They were so bad I replaced them after about 5K miles. The truck drove a lot more securely after that. Cheap tires with marginal load ratings ruin the way the truck drives, especially when loaded to the GVWR.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ll trade in my Cybertruck for a new one when the original tires are worn out.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When jacking up a Cybertruck, do I need to place a rubber pad with a phallus point on it like Amazon sells for the Tesla cars to prevent slippage of the jack onto the battery pack?

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
With tire options, I need traction on-road without destroying tread.
I have the model Y with AWD with 10,000 miles, Eagle F-1 option and have floored it every chance I get. Normally, a car eats up the front tires first due to turning, and I do like to corner hard. But, the Y is wearing the rear tires more due to flooring it. It is quite impressive with absolutely no slippage at full throttle, even in the rain. (I watched a Dodge truck recently struggle 4 times in the rain to slowly get its one tire to gain traction from a stoplight. Sad, but seemed quite dangerous if you needed to get going and avoid an oncoming car, for example.)

I am buying the tri-motor solely based on the 2.9 0-60, as fast as a 2021 Corvette, while seating 3 times as many, weighing twice as much and hauling 85 times as many groceries home.

I will be flooring the Cybertruck many times per day. The off-road tires will not hold up, and are not needed. What option will be available for us who want zero slippage, and only want exhilarating acceleration on pavement to destroy Camaros and Mustangs?
Sponsored