Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When I asked my sisters ex husband’s cousin who works for a janitorial services next to Giga Texas about Cybertruck accessories, she just grinned at me and sent me this link.

Pretty sure this solves all the trailering issues in one swoop.

• Aerodynamic? Yep.
  • Can use Tesla chargers without disconnect? Yep
  • Allows full access to the vault? Yep

Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Lol. Can you imagine those 60hp trying to pull that trailer up through Loveland pass?

Deleted member 3316

When I asked my sisters ex husband’s cousin who works for a janitorial services next to Giga Texas about Cybertruck accessories, she just grinned at me and sent me this link.

Pretty sure this solves all the trailering issues in one swoop.

• Aerodynamic? Yep.
  • Can use Tesla chargers without disconnect? Yep
  • Allows full access to the vault? Yep

As long as the tongue weight isn’t too high and the hitch is engineered to match it could be an interesting solution for some use cases.

I wonder why it didn’t take off as a ubiquitous solution? High speed handling might be an issue, but integrated trailer brakes could possibly solve that. Or the other recent trailer thread suggested a dog trailer, this concept coupled with a dog trailer could be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter71294

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500
Occupation
Construction Equipment Rental
Country flag
It didn’t take off because you need the weight over the rear axle. A gooseneck hooks directly to a ball that is mounted to the frame. You couldn’t haul any amount of serious weight like that. But still cool!

Deleted member 3316

It didn’t take off because you need the weight over the rear axle. A gooseneck hooks directly to a ball that is mounted to the frame. You couldn’t haul any amount of serious weight like that. But still cool!
Can you explain that a little further please? Why does the weight need to be over the rear axle?

Hunter71294

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500
Occupation
Country flag
Can you explain that a little further please? Why does the weight need to be over the rear axle?
For example a new F350 or 3500 DRW. All have about 20k lbs max trailer towing weight at the bumper. 35-40k lbs max gooseneck. I’ve probably hauled over 1000 loads. There is a huge difference in pulling a heavy trailer at the bumper vs gooseneck. It doesn’t feel nearly as safe and is more likely to sway at high speeds If the load isn’t positioned perfectly. Putting the weight directly over an axle minimizes this. The weight goes directly down to the ground vs having leverage on the vehicle.
Never pulled one over my roof haha but that doesn’t seem viable at all. That is a lot of weight on the roof. And too much weight on the front axle. I’m not an engineer or a physicist so could be wrong. But I would think semi’s or pickups would have done this by now if it made sense.

Deleted member 3316

For example a new F350 or 3500 DRW. All have about 20k lbs max trailer towing weight at the bumper. 35-40k lbs max gooseneck. I’ve probably hauled over 1000 loads. There is a huge difference in pulling a heavy trailer at the bumper vs gooseneck. It doesn’t feel nearly as safe and is more likely to sway at high speeds If the load isn’t positioned perfectly. Putting the weight directly over an axle minimizes this. The weight goes directly down to the ground vs having leverage on the vehicle.
Never pulled one over my roof haha but that doesn’t seem viable at all. That is a lot of weight on the roof. And too much weight on the front axle. I’m not an engineer or a physicist so could be wrong. But I would think semi’s or pickups would have done this by now if it made sense.
I would like to understand this because it seems to me that distribution of load over all 4 wheels would lead to more consistent handling. In the same way that moving the hitch from the bumper to over the rear axle reduces jackknife steering.

Obviously the hitch being on the roof drastically raises the COG, but I could imagine a properly balanced trailer and driving to conditions could mitigate risks.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------------------------------

VW Bug Gooseneck Trailer FOUND. PART 2.
A couple years ago we found the El Chico Gooseneck trailer that was manufactured by International Travel Trailer Inc. Since then many people have asked us what we did with it. We were asked about the hitch and if we had any interior videos or photos. We sold our trailer to Oklahoma Bugs shortly after we bought it but about 2 years ago another trailer surfaced in Colorado fully restored with a matching VW Bug tow vehicle. This past weekend we traveled to Colorado to see this trailer in person and get you guys some more video of this restored Gooseneck Trailer.
Mar 10, 2019
Volkswear

----

volkswagen beetle & camper - new road test TÜRKİYE
Aug 29, 2015
SUNALİ FİKRET

---------

Coolest Thing Ever!!! 1969 Volkswagen Beetle/ Fifth Wheel Camper / Gooseneck Trailer
** with height adjustable air suspension!
Mar 21, 2022
Awesome Aircooled Adventures

------

1974 Volkswagen Beetle & Camper - road test
While it's not a performance road test (like my other videos), I just had to add this review of a bizarre Volkswagen Beetle/Camper combo.
Jul 14, 2008
MaccaIsntDead

-------

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If VW Beetles can support Fifth Wheel Camper / Gooseneck Trailer, I think the mighthy Cybertruck will be able to do it even better.

Cybertruck Fifth Wheel / Gooseneck hitch will not need to be sky-high like the ones on the VWs.

Cybertruck Fifth Wheel / Gooseneck hitch at back of bed (over the rear wheels) and just high enough to clear most of the sail pillars.

------------------------------

Volkswagen camper
This is a custom trailer built from scratch by my father. It has an official title issued by the state of Illinois. The hitch is made from 1/2" plate steel curved to match the roof-line and bolted into the roof rails with a backing plate. The ball hitch is a standard trailer ball. The wiring has enough slack for a full turn, simply unplugging it with allow unlimited rotation. It has a backup camera so when it is being pushed the driver can see what is going on. It was built based on the original but not exactly. It pulls down the road just fine. It is a lightweight trailer so the fact it is roof mounted is not a big issue.
Jun 25, 2021
yamasuki250

-------

------------------------------

Deleted member 3316

This solution has been fascinating to me since I first came across it. It’s application to Cybertruck is most compelling.

From what I can find in a few searches the main issue with roof mounted hitch is the structural integrity of the tow vehicle. The loads of towing are too high for the roof of many small hatchbacks.

Considering the crush loads all Tesla vehicles can withstand I doubt this would require an inordinate amount of engineering to facilitate a tow hitch on the Cybertruck.

The angle of the rear slope would determine the maximum break over angle going forwards but that improves when towing in reverse(not backing the trailer).

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck trailering explained 2AC430B5-33FD-4500-A168-2DA7388A216C

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Beall

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Grand Cherokee (dd), 1966 Mustang, 1967 Corv
Country flag
Cool idea. Impossible to jackknife and you'd never need to back it up. Just turn the truck under it with 4 wheel steering or tank turn and push it into place. You'd need a camera on the back of the trailer to see where you're pushing it. I'd spend all weekend spinning this thing in a parking lot for fun.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If VW Beetles can support Fifth Wheel Camper / Gooseneck Trailer, I think the mighthy Cybertruck will be able to do it even better.

Cybertruck Fifth Wheel / Gooseneck hitch will not need to be sky-high like the ones on the VWs.
yet. I’d put money on it the sidewalls of this truck are taller than the Cybertruck in drive position. Wheels on the Cybertruck are quite far back.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck trailering explained 1680829825456

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
having the weight behind the rear axle is the worst. Not so sure about in front of the axel.

The bug in this example would likely struggle to pull this if all the weight was over or behind the rear axle.

Hunter71294

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500
Occupation
Country flag
I agree but a bug should not be pulling anything really. Just because something can pull it does not mean it should. Certainly not a camper. It also has the engine in the rear so that would be a ton of weight on the rear axle I agree. I could pull a semi trailer with my truck. But braking and handling the load or handling cross winds is different. I just think the weight on the front axle would cause steering issues. When braking the weight would also shift towards the front even more. The CT could probably handle it. I just don’t think it’s the optimal thing to do.
Sponsored