David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
I am really hopeful that the CT Tri will be able to surpass a 3500 or at minimum a 2500 diesel pick up for towing a trailer. Specifically a 33’ 5th wheel.
  • Dual tires option.
  • Load leveling airbag suspension.
  • Factory 5th wheel hitch (fully prepped for 5th wheel minimum).
  • Software to handle trailer management.
And on the would be very cool list would be the following:
  • Ability to charge from solar on roof of trailer.
  • Ability to integrate trailer battery pack into vehicle power pack.
  • Ability to have regeneration breaking on trailers. I realize that this is not part of the CT but it would go a long way to maturing trailer management with EV trucks.
  • Heated seats
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Jack for external speakers from bed
What do you guys think of these ideas?
Sponsored

First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
For me, it just needs to be better than an F-150. I care a lot about payload and the tri-motor is supposedly able to haul 3500lbs, which is a pallet of 90lbs concrete bags. Very handy. Almost certain no dual rear wheel option.

What I want is a way to integrate some type of mounting on the truck to allow a lumber rack so I can carry 20ft long lumber boards.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I personally don't care much about the towing, but I hate loud, obnoxious vehicles. Not bold vehicles, mind you, but jacked-up, loud muffler, tiny penis rigs that crowd my streets. I am looking forward to mocking - probably just in my own head - the goofballs that drive those crap boxes and rev their engines while cruising in my silent, super-tough, super-fast technological tour de force.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I hope the come out with a version like that eventually, tho seeing Tesla's history, it will be a few years.
With all the current reservations many of us at the end of the line will already have to wait 2-3 more years.

Hoping that 2-3 years from today, there will be Cybertruck Superduty 2500 with support for 5th wheel and 400 mi range when towing a 14K-lbs 5th wheel trailer.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I personally don't care much about the towing, but I hate loud, obnoxious vehicles. Not bold vehicles, mind you, but jacked-up, loud muffler, tiny penis rigs that crowd my streets. I am looking forward to mocking - probably just in my own head - the goofballs that drive those crap boxes and rev their engines while cruising in my silent, super-tough, super-fast technological tour de force.
Coming up on familiar exit ramps, these folks annoy me because they want to do 75 right up to the ramp and then slam on the brakes. I prefer to coast down to 50 or so, and then without braking (downshift or something if needed), take the ramp 10-15 MPH faster than the posted ramp speed. Most people can't handle curves, and if they've been tailgating me, they're likely to scare themselves. Either way, I'll be half a mile or more ahead of them coming off the ramp, reminding them that it's not just how fast you can go on the straightaway that counts. :)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It’s a pity. I wanted tow companies to start using CT as tow trucks. Would love to start seeing ICE vehicles being towed away by BEV.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
I am really hopeful that the CT Tri will be able to surpass a 3500 or at minimum a 2500 diesel pick up for towing a trailer. Specifically a 33’ 5th wheel.
  • Dual tires option.
  • Load leveling airbag suspension.
  • Factory 5th wheel hitch (fully prepped for 5th wheel minimum).
  • Software to handle trailer management.
And on the would be very cool list would be the following:
  • Ability to charge from solar on roof of trailer.
  • Ability to integrate trailer battery pack into vehicle power pack.
  • Ability to have regeneration breaking on trailers. I realize that this is not part of the CT but it would go a long way to maturing trailer management with EV trucks.
  • Heated seats
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Jack for external speakers from bed
What do you guys think of these ideas?
150-250-350+ Kw of battery storage built in the trailer- so one can charge their toys and the CT-a bunk bed, room for solar panels to be stored, room for the quad, an electric motorcycle and electric skidoo

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I would rate the CT to be close to a 2500 class as far as towing and payload. IMO the most important part of towing is being able to stop. I have towed 13K lbs with my Tundra which is technically a 1/2 ton but have seen reports where Tundras are between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton as far as ability. I was able to tow and have good control but had to pay more attention than if I had a 3/4 ton

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I would think the trailer would require a motor in order to have regenerative braking. Perhaps the mass of the trailer alone would provide the CT's exiting motors to be more efficient at regenerative braking by default?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would think the trailer would require a motor in order to have regenerative braking. Perhaps the mass of the trailer alone would provide the CT's exiting motors to be more efficient at regenerative braking by default?
Yes, you would need a motor (and a way to accept it into the truck). I hope they're looking into that.

For safety's sake, you always want the trailer not to push much weight into the towing vehicle - otherwise the trailer might overtake (jackknife). But that small amount of momentum that the towing vehicle does accept, will make regen work better,

For instance, on my motorcycle, adding a passenger means I recover enough more energy in regen to make up the more energy I tend to lose going up hills with that passenger. Part of that is the threashold level, but it will still be true for a truck. Heavier vehicles regen longer, more efficiently.

-Crissa

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Yes, you would need a motor (and a way to accept it into the truck). I hope they're looking into that.

For safety's sake, you always want the trailer not to push much weight into the towing vehicle - otherwise the trailer might overtake (jackknife). But that small amount of momentum that the towing vehicle does accept, will make regen work better,

For instance, on my motorcycle, adding a passenger means I recover enough more energy in regen to make up the more energy I tend to lose going up hills with that passenger. Part of that is the threashold level, but it will still be true for a truck. Heavier vehicles regen longer, more efficiently.

-Crissa
Yeah we are not talking about an economy or mid-range trailer here, lol. Having a motor capable of worth while regen isn't going to be exactly cheap. My best guess is, your better to simply go with the extra motor in the towing vehicle and a larger battery when its an option for you than to put that into a trailer from a cost/benefit position. This obviously would not apply to a Tri-motor CT but would apply to the Single/Dual motor CT's. Upgrade the truck rather than the trailer. Peharps something to think about before purchasing the truck if this is of concern.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Having a motor capable of worth while regen isn't going to be exactly cheap.
A few thousand dollars for the additional regen chain, yes. But in the grand scheme of things, that isn't that expensive.

No, additional motors in the towing vehicle will not help on the regen side. The battery charge-rate is usually the biggest limiter on regen, and with towing, the fact that you need all-wheel (especially the trailer) braking is the other.

-Crissa

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
A few thousand dollars for the additional regen chain, yes. But in the grand scheme of things, that isn't that expensive.

No, additional motors in the towing vehicle will not help on the regen side. The battery charge-rate is usually the biggest limiter on regen, and with towing, the fact that you need all-wheel (especially the trailer) braking is the other.

-Crissa
You are completely correct but perhaps are missing the point of my possibly poorly written response.

In the CT another motor = a larger battery pack which in turn = longer range. The cost/benefit of an additional motor in the driving vehicle is more than just the additional range, its battery longevity over the same extended millage (less cycles for the same range = ~longer battery life) as well as the more obvious ability to have more power and towing capacity. What I am driving at, is if you wanted regen braking built into the trailer to *specifically* get x amount of additional range or do you want the same additional range added in as vehicle battery plus battery pack longevity plus added power plus added tow capability all with or without the trailer attached. I would have the later option if the price between the two end up being similar. Not sure how to also factor in that regen is most useful for in town driving. Long highway halls won't give you much bang for the buck on a regen trailer that spends most of its time and usage in that scenario. As you mentioned ,battery charge rate, who knows if the battery subsystem in the CT could even make use of the extra incoming power coming from the trailer regen.
Sponsored

Last edited: