firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
2010–2020 Toyota Prius hybrid (non-plugin) Prismatic 1.3 kWh Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH)

2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid (non-plugin, 3.5 L EcoBoost twin-turbo V6 engine & 47 hp (35 kW) electric motor) has 1.5 KwH lithium-ion battery

500 lbs heavier, lower payload (2,120 pounds (960 kg)) & lower towing capacity (12,700 pounds (5,800 kg) than standard non-hybrid F-150 model (payload 3,250 pounds, towing capacity 14,000 pounds)

3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 F-150 is more fuel efficient than the 5.0 V8, the trick is to stay out of the boost whenever practical. “You can have Eco, or you can have Boost,” as the saying goes.

Turbos & hybrid means it is a complicated machine.
How many Ford dealers have techs that can work on it.
High routine maintenance, high long-term repair costs and low long-term resale value.

The 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid Fails to Offer Good Value
by Lillie Champlin
January 30, 2021
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-hybrid-fails-to-offer-good-value/

Three Reasons to Avoid the Ford F-150 Hybrid
1. The Electric Ford F-150 is coming
2. Hybrid vehicles have expensive problems
3. Can you trust Ford?
by Allison Barfield on July 20, 2020
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/three-reasons-to-avoid-the-ford-f-150-hybrid/

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Oh, I didn't know it was the dumb kind of hybrid.

-Crissa
Yep. Jeremy Clarkson famously stated that “a traditional hybrid is just a normal car for fools”. On that episode, they invented a generator based hybrid system 2 years before the first iteration of the Fisker came out.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Looks like some buyers who want to use truck as a truck (using the payload & towing capabilities) are discovering F-150 Hybrid comes up short (especially in payload capability).

Not all models trucks in a general model series (ie. F-150) have same payload maximum.
Actual payload for F-150 depends on trim level (XL, XLT, Lariat, King, Platinum, Limited - listed in general order by expense & luxury), drive train options, suspension option, bed option, plus the weight of all factory options (power tailgate, sunroof, larger gas tank, storage toolbox, skid plates, retractable tonneau cover, running boards, etc).

Also higher trim levels do not mean higher payload max. available. Higher trim might actually have lower payload max.

The extra weight (600lbs??) of all the hybrid stuff lowers max. payload.

Some 2021 Ford F-150 PoweBoost Hybrid in Limited trim only have payload of 1,121lbs.

---------

Below are Ford truck customers discussing the issue of payload

-------------------------------------

Payload Concerns! 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid with Max Tow Package
https://www.f150ecoboost.net/thread...powerboost-hybrid-with-max-tow-package.82242/

mass-hole
#20 • 2020 Dec
The hybrid system isn't gunna run towing for long duration. It just won't. It will most likely just be used for off the line bursts.
It's a mild system to assist in city MPG's and performance in short bursts.
And Ford just has to meet J2807. Anything more than doing 45 mph up a 7% grade at 100F doesn't concern them (Ford).

snakebitten
#21 • 2020 Dec
Agreed. I don't think this initial dabble into F150 Hybridness is about making it more truck, although it technically does.
Instead, it's a swing at fuel efficiency and some marketing hype.

tvsjr
#24 • 2020 Dec
Yep.. the hybrid is there for city MPGs. It helps when cruising around town, and it takes advantage of regenerative braking. And it enables the 7.2KW inverter. It'll do precisely nothing on highway runs - towing or not.

tyoer
Discussion Starter • #31 • 2020 Dec
Ford F150 Limited - Payload
Someone just uploaded this video and it looks like at 13:15 it shows the payload.
From what I see it's only 1,121lbs !!!!

TurboGT
#43 • 2020 Dec
As a technician in the field, hybrids are not worth the hype they bring, be it better mpg or more torque . The reduced towing capacity/payload and an entirely additional powertrain system, for what, 30hp and a chunk of torque that you'll never see? The 10 speed transmission with it's Nearly 5:1 1st gear took care of any takeoff concern with these trucks. Just buy a 2021 EcoBoost and enjoy an already amazing vehicle.

Upshifter
#45 • 2020 Dec
The current gen Limited trims carry 6750 gvwr ratings like the Raptor. I believe they even use the Raptor rear leaves to emphasize ride comfort well over payload performance.

It was Ford’s strategy to attract cushy-truck buyers who liked the rides of Ram’s and Denali’s with MagneRide suspensions.

I’d assume they’ll continue that strategy for 2021, so expect little payload on Limited models, but Platinum on down should be respectable, with or without a battery pack on board.

-----------------------

Payload for PowerBoost
2020Dec02
https://www.f150forum.com/f129/payload-powerboost-489824/

12-02-2020, 08:49 PM
solarity

I also think I can read a Lariat's payload number from a Sasquatch-ish photo I snipped from a youtube video.

Based off how those trucks are equipped and based off the weight numbers from the 2015 payload options, I think this might help give people the ability to try to forecast the payload of the truck they want to order, until we get more data.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f1...5035655a2880a984334ff298adf94e62a35fdf56.jpeg

Powerboost Hybrid Platinum with 2.4 KwH inverter and options:
Twin Panel: 64
Spray in Bedliner: 45
20" over 18" Rims: 33
Step Gate: 40 (will be more with powered lift gate)
Power Running Boards: 57
FX4 Package: 28
Fold Down Work Surface: ?
Fold Flat Rear Storage: ?
payload 1,307 lbs ( 592 kg)

Powerboost Hybrid Limited with 2.4 KwH inverter and options:
Twin Panel: 64
Spray in Bedliner: 45
20" over 18" Rims: 33
Step Gate: 40 (will be more with powered lift gate)
Powered running boards: 57
No FX4 Package: 0
Fold Down Work Surface: ?
Fold Flat Rear Storage: ?
* payload 1,371 lbs ( 621 kg)

* 7.2 Kw invertewr will lower payload even more

12-03-2020, 08:01 AM
FedMill
I have the Hybrid Platinum in mind with the 7.2KW Generator onboard when upgrading from my 2019. I was hoping for a payload number of at least 1800 lbs. I will not be getting a moonroof but the above payload numbers are rather disappointing. My current payload is 1589 and I am using every bit of it.

12-09-2020, 01:50 PM
rucus01
I want to be able to pull my boat or a small travel trailer and have my wife and kids ride with me. If you could get a platinum powerboost hybrid with 1,600 pounds of payload I would be sold. But 1,300 really limits us.

-----------------------

Ford F150 Forum - Powerboost vs 3.5 ecoboost
https://www.f150forum.com/f129/powerboost-vs-3-5-ecoboost-489020/index9/

12-17-2020, 04:28 PM
babock
> Quote: only towing an 8500-9000 pound boat/trailer unit so the stock 11,000
> capacity is fine for me.

You will run out of payload WAY before you reach capacity. Personally, I wouldn't tow over 6000# for a travel trailer or 7000# of boat with a F-150. I have an 800# tongue weight on my 6000# travel trailer. If I had a 9000# travel trailer, that would be 1200#. Kinda hard to tow with the payload that the PB models will have.

12-17-2020, 04:50 PM
rucus01

Yep that is generally the case that you will run out of payload before any of the other numbers. The one place you might not is a boat since they dont carry much tongue weight. TT's can cary as much as 15 percent depending how its loaded with something around 13 being typical. Add in a WDH and you can easily lose 900 pounds of your payload sticker for even a small 6500 pound TT (toy trailer).

12-19-2020, 10:10 PM
F150nFL
Today I stopped into my local Ford dealer to see if they had any 2021 truck brochures yet. The guy next to the brochure rack said probably not until a month from now when the trucks start coming in. I told the guy I plan to tow a travel trailer and am deciding between an F-150 and F-250. He asked what weight travel trailer I was pulling and I told him around 7,000 lbs.

I then said I might even consider the Powerboost. He said a low voice "trust me; go with the regular 3.5 and you will be good." Turns out this guy was the Commercial Fleet Manager. I didn't ask him for his reasoning, but said I will be back around the April or May time frame and got his business card.

01-22-2021, 01:15 PM
Shann
> Quote: Why Ford didn't put a bigger battery in this thing escapes me.

The explanation I heard, although I don't know if it was from Ford directly or not, was that the battery was small to avoid tanking the payload. A bigger, heavier battery would have reduced the payload to below acceptable levels even though it would add more electric capabilities.

01-28-2021, 09:04 PM
babock
To me, the cost isn't the issue. The lower payload and the smaller gas tank (30 instead of 36 gallons) is a non starter for me since I tow a trailer. I also travel 95% at highway speeds so the advantage of the hybrid is minimal.

02-09-2021, 10:59 AM
LHoffmanjr22
I have actually owned both ( F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid & EcoBoost (non-hybrid) ) ....

Two weeks ago I bought a 2021 XLT Powerboost off a dealer lot. The test drive was great. The truck was really powerful and the transition from gas to electric was really smooth. It was better than I expected in every way. The one issue is that it had a check engine light on throughout. The dealership said they would have it fixed before I took ownership, and so I agreed. Picked it up a few days later, and they said the issue was fixed, but weren't specific on exactly what was wrong. They said they just reset some of the modules. Pulling out of the dealer lot and as soon as I put my foot into the gas just a bit, the light popped back on. This was late on a Saturday, and since the truck was running fine, I brought it back on that following Monday. Each day that week the dealership has something else they were trying to find and fix the problem. They were consulting with Ford, and had torn apart the interior (dashboard out, seats out) to get to plugs that they thought weren't connected correctly. By Friday, they thought that maybe it was something to do with a broken transmission. By Friday, the dealership has offered to take the truck back and get me a new Powerboost.

Given all the issues, I turned that down and got a 3.5 Ecoboost instead. I figured I'd go with something that was well established instead of being on the receiving end of growing pains. All that to say that you could definitely feel the extra torque of the Powerboost and the electric engine. The smoothness of acceleration was amazing in the hybrid, and slowing driving around parking lots in all electric was oddly calming. The Ecoboost is definately a strong engine as well, and doesn't ever leave me wanting for power or torque. In the end, the chance of having my truck in the service department chasing down unknown problems wasn't worth the extra grunt of MPG, but by the time the lease is up, I am hopeful that Powerboost will be better established so I can get one.

02-09-2021, 09:40 PM
BigTex22
I’ve read about LOTS of issues with the PowerBoost which is why I went with the EcoBoost (not to mention, I’ve been driving an EB the past 10 years on my 2011).

-------------------------------------

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Still now comparison. SS body and tough glass along with a battery and motor that will last at least 5 times longer than a Ford is a non starter. Cybertruck wins hands down.
Exactly. The body and glass by themselves make this truck interesting and important. With the power, torque, range, and easy charging nothing else compares.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
This is silly. The legacy manufacturers know that you can screw with the numbers using hybrid, so they are muddying the water with their hybrids. Some dude also put the M3 vs the RAV4 hybrid looking at carbon cost - it's all junk. That's not apples to apples. The guy with the M3 and RAV4, was trying to say the carbon cost of the RAV4 was less because it only has a small battery vs the M3 with it's huge battery - total crap! What about the ICE part of the RAV4??? What about the carbon cost of that??? Not factored. It is such crap to only include the challenge of a full EV to a partial EV, and only EV to EV in parts; but then add the ICE like here, where the gas tank is HUGE by any standard - when factoring mpg. This is total BS. APPLES TO APPLES folks. Stop all the BS videos trying to make it look like ICE hybrids are great - they're still ICE enhanced with small EV ability. Imagine what they'd be if they had a full EV - and that will be the next phase of the legacy's rollout... since our hybrid was SO MUCH BETTER, our EV MUST BE BEST!! WE WIN!! NOT. Stop falling for their trap. peace

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The guy with the M3 and RAV4, was trying to say the carbon cost of the RAV4 was less because it only has a small battery vs the M3 with it's huge battery - total crap! What about the ICE part of the RAV4???
He counted that. And in the end, the Model 3 won all the variants of the numbers he ran.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Thanks Todd, I always enjoy your videos. Good comparison, even if, as you pointed out, they are not very comparable. I have a 2010 F-150 XLT 4x4 and I would take that hybrid over it if I were not concerned about all the complexity and potential reliable issues that entails. I mean, it's bad enough having all the complexity of a ICE vehicle but layering on the electrics and all the integration necessary just adds insult to injury.

Our two Model 3's have 3 years of perfect reliability and low-cost running so I can hardly wait for the all-electric Cybertruck!

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
This is not an ideal comparison. Ford is putting a bandage on their issue and saying, look we made it better now. Still an ICE vehicle. Ford should just focus on BEV now and not hybrid. CT all stainless body BEV, everything else is icing on my cake. Enough said.
Sponsored