DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
There are many kinds of pasta sauce but they fall into three general categories. Chunky, the kind that sits on the top of the pasta like original Prego commercials; thin, like the original Ragu; and, the spicy or herbed. I prefer chunky, none of that thin slop. I'm guessing most of America will blindly go along with that weak sauce because that's what they've been buying their whole life.

Seriously though, it all comes back to the batteries. It's literally the whole point of the vehicle. How much capacity do they hold? Can they be mass produced? At what cost?

Ford announced a MoU with SK Hynix which make knock-off LG batteries. Ford says "they'll" be making the batteries in Michigan. Just like this mystery "largest charging network in America", how exactly are they going to produce batteries in volume??

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

To date the Tesla Model 3 and Model Ys are best mass-market EVs ever made and are top selling EVs in regular car market (not counting city car EVs or Chinese $5,000). And Tesla makes a profit doing it.

GM & Ford had plenty of opportunity ( years & years) to ship products as advanced as Tesla at similar price points. They have never released anything close until Mach-E and Mach-E it still is not as good as Tesla products. There is alot of doubt that Ford makes a profit on Mach-E.

The skepticism should be about anything GM or Ford say.

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Tesla is benefiting from a huge technology disruption. They will dominant. The culture shift for traditional auto manufacturers is tough. EV Is the Tesla culture, and they create a buzz and following. I was at a Porsche dealer this week; they had Taycans busting out the walls, but they are not selling. Yes they are plush, but they are expensive and just do not feel like a Porsche. It is not who they are. A Ford EV 150 seems so fake.

cyberpays

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
northviewhomeowner.wixsite.com
Vehicles
CT Duel 69 vette all original(for sale)2019 RAM PU
Occupation
Retire software/life safety sales
Country flag
cybertruck orders are now more of a priority do to Ford e truck orders taking off! 2021 for sure now!

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't know why anyone would buy a non-Tesla EV. Nobody else has a track record for battery longevity. When the battery dies the vehicle is trash. Imagine buying a vehicle that is only good for 5 years due to battery degradation/faults.

Tasla has a strong track record, but you can still occasionally find an older Model S with faulty battery for basically free. EVs are kind of a hot potato. That's why the Tesla million-mile battery is so important. Otherwise in a few more years the EV revolution will die a quick death from public perception that they are throw-away vehicles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Imagine buying a vehicle that is only good for 5 years due to battery degradation/faults.
No modern EV dealer outside of China has that problem. Not even the Leaf, which is the worst of the modern EVs. Keep it in temperate to cold climes, as an urban commuter - 90% of all sedan use - and it'll last more than a decade.

Other brands learned from Tesla and Nissan's experience, and none have had that problem. Batteries tend to fail, if they're going to fail early, during the first three years.

-Crissa

Deleted member 3884

No modern EV dealer outside of China has that problem. Not even the Leaf, which is the worst of the modern EVs. Keep it in temperate to cold climes, as an urban commuter - 90% of all sedan use - and it'll last more than a decade.

Other brands learned from Tesla and Nissan's experience, and none have had that problem. Batteries tend to fail, if they're going to fail early, during the first three years.

-Crissa
My goal is to keep the CT for a decade or longer. I need a vehicle that will last 200k+ miles. I don't drive as much as I did a few years ago, but I still put a lot of miles on a car.

Bfearday

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Resturaunt Manager
Country flag
I think that it is still an unoffical price (90k) but yes they did mention it. Why do you believe CyberTruck isn't happening? It looks like it has the ability to produce limited amounts this year in Texas, they already have equipment validating in the incomplete building, I would imagine they could leverage giga texas even if incomplete and begin minimal production this year and begin ramp-up going into next year. They will probably end the current pre-order and add a full order option on the front page with a slight price increase. I imagine fsd will go up after that as-well. Some speculation we will just have to wait for time to tell! ?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I don't know why anyone would buy a non-Tesla EV. Nobody else has a track record for battery longevity. When the battery dies the vehicle is trash. Imagine buying a vehicle that is only good for 5 years due to battery degradation/faults.

Tasla has a strong track record, but you can still occasionally find an older Model S with faulty battery for basically free. EVs are kind of a hot potato. That's why the Tesla million-mile battery is so important. Otherwise in a few more years the EV revolution will die a quick death from public perception that they are throw-away vehicles.
I do have more confidence in Tesla BMS than others however most manufacturers have a respectable warranty on the battery. My concern is mostly how easy it is to repair or replace the battery after warranty. I expect CT body and structure last a good while. The question is after 7 to 10 years when both CT2 owner and Lightening guy realize new trucks with new battery tech can tow much more effectively on a long trips, which one has to sell a truck no one wants to get a new one, and which one can just replace his battery pack with the new tech at reasonable cost.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Ford is going to carve out a nice market share of EVs based on their fleet offerings. The Lightning Pro is the low end affordable model and comes with baked in fleet management tech. All your trucks locations, state of charge, maintenance schedule, etc. in one place through an online portal/api, really big in industry right now. Normally features that are offered, installed, and manged through a third party. Very smart move by them.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag

I bought other than Tesla because the 2 year old Leaf was $10k back in 2015. The battery is at about 50% capacity now, so it's not as useful, but I put about 45k miles on it and got my money's worth out of it, driving it instead of the (10 mpg) truck, around town and for nearby errands. We just replaced the Mini Cooper for my wife, with a 2 year old Bolt, because their battery degradation is slow and has a pretty good track record, it was the cheapest 230+ mile BEV around, at $16k, and meets our needs. Sure I'd like a Tesla, but our current finances and needs, make the Bolt perfect for us right now.
Sponsored