Cybertruck width oh my!

Deleted member 3316

I was in my kiteboarding site parking lot yesterday and there is a noted increase in the number of people driving and parking 'transit' type vans and one of them decided to park next to my Model Y (luckily I was done and almost ready to leave). So what's the point? The point is that I started (again) being concerned about the width of parking spaces and my ability to get into and out of my CT when it eventually comes (maybe by then I'll be too old to kiteboard but that is a sad thought I choose to ignore for now - sort of). I have not noticed people with full-sized pickups having undo difficulty but these RVs are a pain in the ass:

Model Width w/o Mirrors Width w/mirrors
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Cybertruck 79.8” ???”
Model X 78.7” 89.4”
Model Y 75.6” 83.8”
Model S 78.2” 86.2”
Ford F150 79.9” 86.6”
Jeep Gladiator 76” ???”
Ford Transit 81.3” 97.4”
GMC 82.1” ???”
Toyota Tundra 80.2” 86.6”
Chevy Silverado 81.2” ???”

Any thoughts from others?
Summon… it’ll only be a problem for drivers of less capable vehicles… we just need to make sure we’re not the a$$hole by not parking people in, leave your number if you do.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

I back my F150 into spots because when pulling out of spots, I can begin my turn before the truck is fully out of the spot whereas if I am backing out of a spot, I can't start turning until my front end can clear the cars on either side. Four wheel steering will definitely help with parking!
Another good reason to back in is, it saves you blindly backing out, traffic has to stop while you back in, but are under no obligation to when you’re trying to leave.

And another is if it’s a tight space you can put your passenger side door to the adjacent passenger door. Park on the line and the passenger of the other car vehicle will just wait for the driver to back out.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The good thing with vans is that they have sliding doors, which means at least they can open the door and get in.

One of my biggest design gripes on the CT is the door length and door thickness. It will need even more parking spot width to use those massive doors. Summon is going to be used a lot I think. Sliding doors or a pop and swivel mechanism would have been preferred but woul likely increase cost.

I wonder how summoning to pull out of a diagonal street side parking spot, and then get in on the street would go down with the cops.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Glad it got you thinking about Aptera's dimensions. You probably still know a lot more about it than me asI just keep an eye on their progress from time to time.

When I saw the width I was shocked too. I thought it was going to not be a bit wider than a Hummer H1. :D Hopefully it'll be manageable though.

Anyway, here's a photo of an H1 that I took at a farmer's market this past weekend:

1656976945118.png
80” width is fairly standard for trucks.
this Hummer H1 is 86.5”. The Ram TRX is 88” which then hits the limit of what’s reasonable manageable In urban environments

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Another good reason to back in is, it saves you blindly backing out, traffic has to stop while you back in, but are under no obligation to when you’re trying to leave.

And another is if it’s a tight space you can put your passenger side door to the adjacent passenger door. Park on the line and the passenger of the other car vehicle will just wait for the driver to back out.
We use that method in the 2-bay part of our garage. My daughter pulls in forward on the far right and my wife backs in to her spot next to her. Their driver's sides face so we can put a wide aisle there for walking and no door ding worries. I back in also. So, we have 2 wide aisles and NO driver's door can hit any other vehicle. I see people pulling in forward and then doing that shimmy to get out of their cars... ridiculous.

Deleted member 3316

We use that method in the 2-bay part of our garage. My daughter pulls in forward on the far right and my wife backs in to her spot next to her. Their driver's sides face so we can put a wide aisle there for walking and no door ding worries. I back in also. So, we have 2 wide aisles and NO driver's door can hit any other vehicle. I see people pulling in forward and then doing that shimmy to get out of their cars... ridiculous.
The frameless doors on model,S,3,Y make life easier if that shimmy is unavoidable. If you wind down the window you can open the door just far enough to lean over the door, squeeze your bum out, with your hand on the side of the door to stop the door ding.
Sponsored