Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Did Musk just tip that the Cybertruck will be able to distill water?!

He's been discussing his goal to make quiet home HVAC with HEPA & water distillation system on twitter and followed up with this tweet suggesting that "Maybe Cybertruck will have it …" :eek:

Obviously, this feature would be ground breaking in a vehicle and would make the Cybertruck even more useful for overlanding and camping. Imagine powering your campsite with the Cybertruck while distilling water for drinking and cooking. ⛺

Tweets:

Sponsored

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Just watched the most recent Third Row podcast and Everyday Astronaut (guest) mentioned a theory that everything Elon is doing relates to living on Mars. Just makes sense.

Cybertruck Mars ute' that:
  • has adjustable ride height for all terrains
  • armored protection for the martian sand storms
  • has solar panels for when you're in a jam. No one wants to get stuck outside up there.
  • produces distilled water to keep you hydrated
  • has plug in power for martian survey equipment
  • kick butt sound system to play Space Oddity

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Why would we want distilled water? To top up the 12V battery?

Now a filtration system that clears cryptosporidium etc. from a mountain stream I can see and given that why not put an RO cartridge in there too but distillation is a messy business (still gets all gunked up with the stuff that gets "removed"). How many places produce pure water with distillation these days? Not many. It's almost all RO in modern applications. I'm not sure but I expect RO requires less energy than distillation too.

Reactions: Geo

davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
Did Musk just tip that the Cybertruck will be able to distill water?!

He's been discussing his goal to make quiet home HVAC with HEPA & water distillation system on twitter and followed up with this tweet suggesting that "Maybe Cybertruck will have it …" :eek:

Obviously, this feature would be ground breaking in a vehicle and would make the Cybertruck even more useful for overlanding and camping. Imagine powering your campsite with the Cybertruck while distilling water for drinking and cooking. ⛺

Tweets:

That's all fine and dandy, but what upgrades are gonna be necessary to make whiskey!!! ;}

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Why would we want distilled water? To top up the 12V battery?

Now a filtration system that clears cryptosporidium etc. from a mountain stream I can see and given that why not put an RO cartridge in there too but distillation is a messy business (still gets all gunked up with the stuff that gets "removed"). How many places produce pure water with distillation these days? Not many. It's almost all RO in modern applications. I'm not sure but I expect RO requires less energy than distillation too.
Distillation is near guaranteed pure and theoretically requires just cleaning mineral build up, I might upgrade my truck from the base model to higher if he puts more things like this in it.
reverse osmosis requires replaceable parts. Yes they are extremely long lasting but still. I'd rather be able to clean/fix something than have to replace it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Each to his own, of course but distilled water is not pure. That's why if you want pure water in your lab you don't use distilled and if you want pure water from the pharmacy you buy triple distilled. If you want pure water today you go with RO. The cartridges seem to last forever (depending on volume processed - I'm on the original set I got over 15 yrs ago and they are still producing 2 -3 ppm water) but of course only reject about 98% of most minerals and the particulate and carbon filters, there to protect the membranes, are also great for removing bacteria, odors etc. In the CT application there would be additional filters for removing viruses, cryptosporidium cysts etc. If really pure water is wanted RO (which gets typical tap water down to a couple ppm) is followed by ion exchange and that's what labs, reef aquarists, dialysis centers, semiconductor fabricators, brewers etc. do these days.

The main reason that the CT, if it contains water purification gear at all, will not use distillation is energy. It takes 2257 kJ (627 Wh) of energy to boil a litre of water. To get to equivalent to RO purity you'd have to do that 3 times for a total of about 1.9 kWh. To prepare 1 L of RO water my system (I wash my cars with RO) uses 24 kJ (6.67 Wh). It has a 1/2 HP pump.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Distilling water requires a heat and cooling source which makes heat pumps ideal for adaptation. You could just distill the water that condenses from the coils to feed the system. It'd make water without having to add anything. There wouldn't be much, if any, residue as condensed water is pretty pure.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Have another cup of coffee and review what you wrote when you are awake.

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This sounds like a problem in the making. Distilled water is not ideal for nutrition. Any water accumulation, whether in my car or my basement is a potential nightmare. Dry is good in my book.

Cyberpartyboy21

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Buick Enclave
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Country flag
CT will be the ultimate bug out vehicle/stealth camper. You could actually live and survive for a very long time in this vehicle. It is so much more than just a truck.

func600

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Caddy EXT, CT on order
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don’t think he’s building a distillation rig as a separate unit In the truck, it’s just a happy byproduct of a well designed HVAC unit. Here in the tropics, most people run their AC full time in their vehicles, and you can see little puddles of condensed water dripping out of every cars’ AC unit at the stoplights. I think Elon’s plan is to use some clever engineering to collect that distilled water that all cars dump in the street, keep it clean, and store it for consumption or other uses. Why not? It would be very convenient for trips in the outback, and a life saver someplace like Mars. The Cybertruck is shaping up to be an awesome outdoor vehicle; can’t wait for mine.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Ahh, finally someone making sense!

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I'm hoping that these "add ons" are part of the package and not $$$ extras.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
tri-motor Cybertruck W/full self driving - E350 Coupe - Jeep Commander
Occupation
Emergency Management
Country flag
I hope this is one of those Elon ideas that actually gets implemented! If I could be out overlanding and have a gallon or 2 of water at the end of the day, that would be a real game changer. Right now, the amount of water I can carry can be the most limiting factor on a trip.
Sponsored