Cybertruck water capabilities? River crossing?

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
I haven't seen any testing involving taking the CT into water. Elon said it should be able to cross a river, correct?
Sponsored

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Been suspiciously silent on the whole water floating capability for a while... I wouldn't bank on it any. more than the tailgate ramp, top light bar, or side sail storage... Or Cyberquad for that matter. No word on that lately either. :(

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
I haven't seen any testing involving taking the CT into water. Elon said it should be able to cross a river, correct?
Been suspiciously silent on the whole water floating capability for a while... I wouldn't bank on it any. more than the tailgate ramp, top light bar, or side sail storage... Or Cyberquad for that matter. No word on that lately either. :(
Well, they have built a wade tank that's suspiciously deep right next to the crash test building there in Texas.

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
the wade pit is just that. a wade pit. im sure the CT will be able to go through quite a tall ammount of water, but i do not think that it will float.

The recent leaks suggest a leaky bed, and people who have driven the truck say the door seals do not seem beefy enough. But, maybe thats just the prototype.. I am still hopeful for my CyberBoat, but maybe that will be an "improvement" for later models, or be part of the "Mars" pressurized package.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The recent photo was not a production version, and I dare say there will be a seal.

Can you imagine that gap if you had sand in the back ? So, it will be sealed, whether it's water tight enough to float we don't know.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
the wade pit is just that. a wade pit. im sure the CT will be able to go through quite a tall amount of water, but i do not think that it will float.

The recent leaks suggest a leaky bed, and people who have driven the truck say the door seals do not seem beefy enough. But, maybe thats just the prototype.. I am still hopeful for my CyberBoat, but maybe that will be an "improvement" for later models, or be part of the "Mars" pressurized package.
Can you post a source on the "people who have driven the truck"?

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No, we haven’t heard anything but it should at least be able to handle what R1T/S, Hummer, and Lightning can do based solely on ground clearance.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
No, we haven’t heard anything but it should at least be able to handle what R1T/S, Hummer, and Lightning can do based solely on ground clearance.
It was doing the splash zone run thru in Fremont I believe but no wading into water that I have seen.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
the wade pit is just that. a wade pit. im sure the CT will be able to go through quite a tall ammount of water, but i do not think that it will float.

' I just spent six months waiting, 4 [in] a leaky Boat' ( Split Enz )

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag

They employ Vegan Seals, as l'm led to believe. Beefy seals just don't cut it.
Not a leek to stand on!

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
cant find where, but someone linked this podcast here recently. around half way in at 2 and a half hours in he talks about cybertruck. he gets asked the boat question a few times
https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1BdxYrlVgqzKX
So is this the "leaker" that was the source for all that stuff a week ago? Do we know who this guy is any why he of all people would get a ride in the truck?

Look closely at this video. You can clearly see there are two seals. One full perimeter around the opening on the body, and another on the door itself. Specifically at 30 seconds in, pause it. Also about 15 second through the 20 second mark on the back doors.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I bet the floating capability was axed due to the costs involved to make a BEV truck with a brand new 48-volt electrical architecture watertight and liability concerns.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck water capabilities? River crossing? 18DF0C0E-DA34-47CA-A406-D0EB634332FE

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I bet the floating capability was axed due to the costs involved to make a BEV truck with a brand new 48-volt electrical architecture watertight and liability concerns.

18DF0C0E-DA34-47CA-A406-D0EB634332FE.jpeg
Elon posted it on Twitter though. Does that count as advertising and a promise for delivery?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon posted it on Twitter though. Does that count as advertising and a promise for delivery?
He replied to it, laughed, and said 'for a short period'.

That's different than posting. Or saying that they'd be guaranteeing it to work. Always read the guarantee.

-Crissa
Sponsored