Cybertruck will have optional stealth paint!

tomasrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
Patent applications & Elon's tweets point toward a stealth paint option for the Cybertruck. This special paint would make the Tesla pickup truck invisible at night. The military and police implications of this are enormous! For further details, I invite you to watch this video:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Painted stealth black (as starlink satellites must be) would be absolutely awesome! Think of the police radar cross section! Not!

Sigjumper

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I sincerely hope this video is a parody! Then again, some people, bless their hearts...

For those that don't know, "Stealth" does not mean invisible in terms of sight, it refers to the absorption and diffusing of electromagnetic impulses, so that radar does not receive an echo ping that identifies location. A more realistic argument (although still wrong) would be that with stealth paint, CT can't be caught speeding b/c police radar / laser couldn't return a speed reading.

Oh, and the patent is actually for a non-reflective glass coating. Reading the application, it appears they're trying to stop that mirroring glare that dashboards (or the display screen in this case) can project onto glass surfaces ie: sunroof, back glass, etc... which if you think about the angular glass in the CT, makes a ton of sense. under the right circumstance, the glare of the display screen could bounce off the glass inside the cab and cause discomfort to passengers. (it should also be noted that the guy who invited the coating has also been working heavily on transparent roof solar cells...)

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20190241465

Last edited:

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Speaking of stealth paint, imagine if they got that on this police interceptor version of the truck. I really hope local police departments start ordering these to replace their current fleet, so practical with the bullet proofing!

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck will have optional stealth paint! EKJysFgW4AAyGd6

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I really hope local police departments start ordering these to replace their current fleet, so practical with the bullet proofing!
There is no such thing as "bullet proof". The CT is "bullet resistant" to a certain point.
While the CT might stop or slow a blunt nosed projectile it will not stop a pointed projectile especially if it has a steel core. An AK with steel core ammo would make Swiss Cheese out of the CT.
Most people don't know the difference between "concealment" and "cover".
Concealment protects you from being seen but may not offer protection from hostile fire.
Cover can stop various types of bad juju from ventilating your hide depending on what the bad guys are sending down range.
All that being said I'd much rather drive through Atlanta in a CT than my van.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Speaking of stealth paint, imagine if they got that on this police interceptor version of the truck. I really hope local police departments start ordering these to replace their current fleet, so practical with the bullet proofing!

EKJysFgW4AAyGd6.jpg
With some nice retroreflective for the 'police' markers?

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I thought the Cybertruck already had "stealth paint"? I can't see any paint on it, just looks like stainless steel to me... :)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
New Pic of the CT
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck will have optional stealth paint! 1649640318784

S.H.Peterson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
There is no such thing as "bullet proof". The CT is "bullet resistant" to a certain point.
While the CT might stop or slow a blunt nosed projectile it will not stop a pointed projectile especially if it has a steel core. An AK with steel core ammo would make Swiss Cheese out of the CT.
Most people don't know the difference between "concealment" and "cover".
Concealment protects you from being seen but may not offer protection from hostile fire.
Cover can stop various types of bad juju from ventilating your hide depending on what the bad guys are sending down range.
All that being said I'd much rather drive through Atlanta in a CT than my van.
SO TRUE! I hate the word 'bulletproof', NOTHING is bulletproof . I used to work for a military contractor and have seen 18" of turret armor on Russian tanks torn to chunks by A-10's. EXCELLENT post!

S.H.Peterson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
ok..hmmm... nearly invisible at night.... Iwonder how that will jive with insurance companies and vehicle crashes..