Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Will be getting a Model Y for my wife later this year, followed by the Cybertruck for me.
My wife (not realy a BEV Fan, with a dislike for CT) and I took a test drive in a Model3LR last week.
It was our first time actually driving a Tesla.... (buts in seats....?)

After this experiance my wife emidiatly wanted to buy a Tesla (model 3) right away.?
She was pumped up (e.g. exceeding the speed limt by 75% in a city) and even willing to let her beloved VW Käfer convertible go.
I was a bit surprised to say the least.

Finaly I was able to steer her wishes to a model Y, wich I find more usefull.
And we will have to wait until GiGa Brandenburg is up and running (and uses 4680 cells!).

Does this mean I will cancel my CT reservation ?
Hell no !! ?

We had 2+ cars allways, now we are down to 2 (T-5 and VW Bug).

With the Model Y comming in 2021/22 and the CT hopefully 2022/23 the only thing changed will be 2 ICE cars into 2 BEV. They still will be one medium and one bigger vehicle (used depending on our transportation needs).

No canibalisation just more sales...!

In two months a 22kWp solar array will be producing so much enery on our roof we will have to have 1-2 BEV. Both charged up clean and easily for years to come.
Sponsored

mlee168

First Name
Mon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Plugin
Country flag
I plan to buy both. I plan to buy the Y late this year - early next year. AT over 400K in line for the CT, I expect that I will not get it till 2023-2024. If they make the tri-motor first, I might get it towards the end of 2022/2023.

I am hoping they will have an air suspension for the Y so I can use it for some light trail work for camping.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
How will you haul sand, brick, rock and other loose materials without getting everything constantly stuck in the grooves of the bed? This is a serious question that truck owners have.
I have a pressure washer. Also, I am not buying this truck as a status symbol. It will get dirty. It will be used as a truck. One last thing, the truck is supposed to have a loading setting for the ramp, so I'll put it in that orientation and pressure wash all the sand downhill. Before, I had to drive my truck onto a set of ramps or a berm to get the angle.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Speaking of oersize...

A few weeks ago crossing a mountain pass during snow conditions, the road warning sign said:

Thing is though, there is a ski resort at the top and all sorts of large pickups and SUVs were going up there. Plus I saw some full semi-trucks. And large work trucks of various kinds (some were Department of Transportation but others were not). So what exactly qualifies as oversize vehicles in this case? Or is everyone just taking their lives into their own hands here?
Oversize is a designation. These are the vehicles you see with the banner across the back indicating wide load or oversize load. They are also lead and followed by pilot cars.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
A) The grooves usually come with little rubber stoppers.
B) Screw down a tarp or piece of plywood, using the grooves.
C) Don't worry about it and just sweep it out.

How are you going to keep it from getting caught in the tailgate? The access panels for the air and power? The smuggler cubby?

C'mon, you're a tool using ape, just like me. You can figure it out.

-Crissa

PS, I always use a tarp because so often it seems my dump runs include something an animal has peed upon.
I have as a lot or truck owners have .. loaded sand, gravel rocks, grass, and other loose items. Sorry but throwing down a tarp ain’t gonna do it. I understand you have an old truck. Great. They get beat up and used. The grooves and a bad idea. Sorry, but 40 years of driving a truck tells me you are wrong.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
I have a pressure washer. Also, I am not buying this truck as a status symbol. It will get dirty. It will be used as a truck. One last thing, the truck is supposed to have a loading setting for the ramp, so I'll put it in that orientation and pressure wash all the sand downhill. Before, I had to drive my truck onto a set of ramps or a berm to get the angle.
And where will all that water go? Into the sealed battery’s?

having groves in a truck bed is a dumb idea. Sorry.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

You are entitled to your opinion, but you don't remind me of someone whose driven OLD trucks. My old 69 Chevy and pre 1972 trucks all had wood beds with metal strips. I raced motocross and would load my muddy bikes in the back ALL THE TIME. When I got home I'd park in the front yard pull out the bike and hose it down, then climb in the bed of the truck and hose it out. Most of the time I'd open both doors and then hose out the floor of the cab. The lawn wood get watered and all my stuff would be cleaned up, no worries.
I really think you are over thinking this deal. As others have said the slots will have rubber filler strips and in addition to using water to clean the bed the Cybertruck comes with an air compressor, so you can also use it.
Here's a visual of a wood bed: http://tdcustoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/truck-bed-wood.jpg

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sorry, but 40 years of driving a truck tells me you are wrong.
40 years of using modern milled surfaces?

Probably not.

Why would the grooves make water go into the battery?

Do you think the sealed batteries will be less sealed because the deck of the bed? That's not where the batteries are, and there will be a sealed layer under the grooves either way. A sealed layer that no rock can pierce because it's down beneath the grooves.

-Crissa

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag

Do you wash your car? Does it rain where you live? Have you ever seen the bed of a truck? No truck bed is flat, nor are they sealed like the vault is supposed to be. As for the sealed battery pack, I seriously doubt they would allow a flaw like that in a vehicle they have driven through a lake as a promotion.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
You are entitled to your opinion, but you don't remind me of someone whose driven OLD trucks. My old 69 Chevy and pre 1972 trucks all had wood beds with metal strips. I raced motocross and would load my muddy bikes in the back ALL THE TIME. When I got home I'd park in the front yard pull out the bike and hose it down, then climb in the bed of the truck and hose it out. Most of the time I'd open both doors and then hose out the floor of the cab. The lawn wood get watered and all my stuff would be cleaned up, no worries.
I really think you are over thinking this deal. As others have said the slots will have rubber filler strips and in addition to using water to clean the bed the Cybertruck comes with an air compressor, so you can also use it.
Here's a visual of a wood bed: http://tdcustoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/truck-bed-wood.jpg
Nice truck!

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
Do you wash your car? Does it rain where you live? Have you ever seen the bed of a truck? No truck bed is flat, nor are they sealed like the vault is supposed to be. As for the sealed battery pack, I seriously doubt they would allow a flaw like that in a vehicle they have driven through a lake as a promotion.
Like I said. I have been driving Ford trucks most of my driving life. A general contractor by trade and very experienced with hauling and towing. The slats will be a problem. Mark my words. If you have owned a truck, well the. You should know. Your entitled To your opinion however.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Like I said. I have been driving Ford trucks most of my driving life. A general contractor by trade and very experienced with hauling and towing. The slats will be a problem. Mark my words. If you have owned a truck, well the. You should know. Your entitled To your opinion however.
I do not question your qualifications. Nor do I disagree with the slats being dirt catchers. But unless the truck is built with materials other than the .30 stainless it will not be an issue with water, gravel, sand, or even cement. I may be a medical professional but do not assume that my opinion is meritless. Based on materials and my hands on experience with rebuilding engines, transmissions, and vehicles (in general), my beloved 1971 F250 has NOTHING on the cybertruck... bed slats or not.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
How will you haul sand, brick, rock and other loose materials without getting everything constantly stuck in the grooves of the bed? This is a serious question that truck owners have.
I didn't see this question until just now. Are you sure you're a contractor?! Even with the spotty welds in my F250, the wheel wells encroaching on the bed, the filler neck tunnel for the fuel tank, and the hundreds of dents created when I've had a front loader dump aggregate into the bed from 4' over, I have always managed to clean my truck bed for hauling furniture, lumber, firewood, or a nice trip to our drive in without mystery stains on clothing.
I am getting the impression that you are a member of this club just to be negative.

Oh, and lest I forget to answer your question, the simple answer is cheap OSB or plywood. The sheeting will provide a malleable surface, and a barrier for the bulk of the material. Then a broom, and if I feel particularly picky my pressure washer for those not so hard to reach square corners of the flat vault bed.
Sponsored