Delivery Day and Rust Rust and Rust

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Fair enough: they should probably be applying something to the hubs. They'll still rust, but more slowly. As far as the external manifestation here, it kinda looks like the design of the wheel/cover funnels water from that area outwards, which is a design oversight.
I was just watching Jay Leno's Garage on the new Model 3. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to the Model 3 or the new one but they do mention at 23 minutes and 50 seconds that they put a surface finish on the breaks so that they don't rust and will last forever, so they say.

DrPhyzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Ariel Atom
Occupation
particle physicist
Country flag
I was just watching Jay Leno's Garage on the new Model 3. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to the Model 3 or the new one but they do mention at 23 minutes and 50 seconds that they put a surface finish on the breaks so that they don't rust and will last forever, so they say.
Maybe they mean the calipers, but the rotors are a sacrificial-wear part, so obviously any surface finish is gone very quickly. Calipers are always powder coated or anodized, so that doesn't make sense either. 🤷‍♂️

DrPhyzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Ariel Atom
Occupation
particle physicist
Country flag

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Maybe they mean the calipers, but the rotors are a sacrificial-wear part, so obviously any surface finish is gone very quickly. Calipers are always powder coated or anodized, so that doesn't make sense either. 🤷‍♂️
Depends on how thick the "surface" coating is. Obviously pads wear faster than rotors by design so there could be a layer on the rotors which lasts many years, and since EV's use the brakes so much less it could last a very long time.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Bright orange break rust! I'm significantly more concerned they didn't clean that before delivery than it's existence on a brand new vehicle.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
In the Model 3 video he actually says what the rotor coating is: Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, FNC.

Ferritic nitrocarburizing or FNC, also known by the proprietary names Tenifer, Tufftride and Melonite as well as ARCOR,[Note 1][1] is a range of proprietary case hardening processes that diffuse nitrogen and carbon into ferrous metals at sub-critical temperatures during a salt bath. Other methods of ferritic nitrocarburizing include gaseous processes such as Nitrotec and ion (plasma) ones. The processing temperature ranges from 525 °C (977 °F) to 625 °C (1,157 °F), but usually occurs at 565 °C (1,049 °F). At this temperature steels and other ferrous alloys remain in the ferritic phase region. This allows for better control of the dimensional stability that would not be present in case hardening processes that occur when the alloy is transitioned into the austenitic phase.[2] There are four main classes of ferritic nitrocarburizing: gaseous, salt bath, ion or plasma, and fluidized-bed.[3]

The process is used to improve three main surface integrity aspects including scuffing resistance, fatigue properties, and corrosion resistance. It has the added advantage of inducing little shape distortion during the hardening process. This is because of the low processing temperature, which reduces thermal shocks and avoids phase transitions in steel.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
In the Model 3 video he actually says what the rotor coating is: Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, FNC.

Thanks for looking that up. The materials science expertise available at Tesla, and their willingness to push automotive technology forward, just puts legacy auto to shame. Legacy auto just keeps wanting to do it the same way they always have. Make the car as cheap as possible and sell it for as much as possible.

Tesla is under attack from all sides and they just keep improving automotive technology and lowering prices. It's no wonder that they are considered a threat!

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
Bottom line is... has anyone had luck negotiating damages/incomplete components upon delivery?
No wheel covers meh, no center caps is ridiculous. Missing functionality pending updates... There's less vehicle delivered than promised.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag

I specified salt bath nitriding for a Cam that was showing signs of metallic spalling due to high contact stresses. What we needed was surface hardness around RC50-60 but the SS304 was ~RC20. There was an option to machine SS440C and then heat treat the part but this would lead to distortion.
The SS parts we got back were black in color, the hardness was ~RC55 and we had fixed the spalling issue with no distortion to the part. Salt bath nitriding literally is a huge caldron of molten salt with cyanide or other ingredients mixed in so we could do batch processing of dozens of parts for a low cost. It should be mentioned that the process diffuses nitrogen into metal up to 50 or so microns so it is not a surface finish and it did improve corrosion resistance and lowered its coefficient of friction.
This is similar to the treatment Glock uses.

I would be concerned about using this treatment on brake rotors as friction is desired in that application.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Possibly different types of this treatment leave different surface finishes.
I agree. There are lots of treatments available. Brake rotors are wear parts and rust is not an issue as braking cleans rust. However, on a Tesla, if driven gently it could be days or weeks where the brakes are not engaged due to regenerative braking.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Bottom line is... has anyone had luck negotiating damages/incomplete components upon delivery?
No wheel covers meh, no center caps is ridiculous. Missing functionality pending updates... There's less vehicle delivered than promised.
Nope. If you like negotiating, you came to the wrong carmaker.

With Tesla, either you take it or you leave it, the price is fixed. I'm sure there are exceptions in special situations, this is not one of them. They will probably give you your deposit back if you want to cancel based upon the incomplete delivery, but that's about all you could expect.

I love the "take it or leave it" part about Tesla. It doesn't get any more real than that! Try operating a business that way when your wares are the same as all your competitors. Legacy auto has to be open to negotiation, because it's basically all the same over-priced crap!

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
Nope. If you like negotiating, you came to the wrong carmaker.

With Tesla, either you take it or you leave it, the price is fixed. I'm sure there are exceptions in special situations, this is not one of them. They will probably give you your deposit back if you want to cancel based upon the incomplete delivery, but that's about all you could expect.

I love the "take it or leave it" part about Tesla. It doesn't get any more real than that! Try operating a business that way when your wares are the same as all your competitors. Legacy auto has to be open to negotiation, because it's basically all the same over-priced crap!
This is the craziest thing about Tesla. It's like walking into an Apple store where people know nothing about what they are selling and don't really care about their product. They simply look at their iPads and read back to me the website I've already looked at. To me that's a culture killer. I swear half the employees in the showroom didn't have driver's licenses. If you walk into a dealership you need some scenery, culture, service. Not if your washing machine is dented we can have another delivered in 30 days.
Sponsored