Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Porsche Taycan, Cybertruck AWD FS
Occupation
Nerdy Sales Guy
Country flag
Cheap and cheerful solution.

WOLFBOX 12" 4K Rear View Mirror... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1LLMCS9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I used the online service manual to work out how to remove the interior trim panels, the window seals and rear wheel arch liner. In summary, you don’t need any tools to do this at all. Everything just pulls off. Power is ran from the front USB-C outlet in the center console through a usb-c to 12v cigarette lighter adaptor

CERRXIAN 1ft USB C Male to 12V 8W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGL8ZRCS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I had to get an extension cable as it didn’t quite reach with the original cable.

NOCO GC019 15A 14AWG 12V Adapter,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8WLX14?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Both cables (power and rear camera) run along the headlining then down the pillar trim. The power cable keeps going down to the floor then goes under the kickplate and under the front seat to the center console. The camera cable goes along the window tops by removing the window seal, then putting it back in on top of the cable. The cable then goes down the rear of the back door, under the rear fender and round inside the wheel arch trim. At the back of the rear fender I pulled the fender liner off and routed the cable through there to the tow bar, then put the fender liner back. The camera itself is stuck then zip tied to the tow bar bracket.

Small details

The usb-c does power off when the car shuts off (usually about 20 minutes after you leave it, assuming sentry mode is off)

There is a wire on the camera loom that you are supposed to connect to the reversing lights to trigger the rear camera. You don’t need to connect this to anything. Instead you can just select the rear view on the mirror and it stays like that (even through power cycles)

As the cybertruck mirror is really small, I needed to use a piece of foam between it and the digital mirror, otherwise the straps that are used to attach the digital mirror are too loose and the mirror rattles around.

This mirror has a gps attachment, used to give positional info to the dash cam it has built in. I didn’t connect this because I’m not interested in the dashcam feature for this application.

PROs

It works.

It’s a 4k camera. Image is clear and field of view feels right.

Cheap (less than $250 all in).

Only took a few hours to fit.

Completely reversible if needed (I didn’t drill or cut anything, or tap into any wiring).

You still have a rear view mirror even when the tailgate is down (unlike the native camera).

No wiring visible on the outside of the truck and I didnt need to work out how to route a wire from the cab into the bed.

GOTCHAS

You can see wires inside the cabin at the top of the mirror for a few inches until they tuck into the headliner. I tried but failed to route the wires underneath the roof console (the thing with the hazzard button and drive selectors). I took it off but it is really packed inside there and I couldn't get the wires ran and get the roof console to clip back in.

You need to run with your tow bar cover off (We do anyway because we do tow with the truck)

It won’t work if you are towing, meaning you get an excellent view of the front of your trailer and nothing else (when towing we used the full camera view on the main touchscreen and that was fine)

I’m not sure how the camera will fare down there with regards to getting dirty. Maybe it’ll be ok because it’s kind of sheltered, maybe not. Time will tell.

The mirror shape is kind of rounded. A Cybertruck no-no 😎 Maybe someone will make a nice angular Cybertruck version at some point!

IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg

IMG_2799.jpeg
I think it's actually a 4k front camera, and a 1080p rear camera. I picked up another model from them ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1B41WC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) that has a 2.5k rear camera.

So glad to see it was fairly 'easy' to install!
Sponsored

OP
OP

SARC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD CT FS, 2023 Model S Long Range
Country flag
Is there room to add an additional camera for trailer pulling? 🫡🤩🫠
In a different mirror model, yes

https://a.co/d/hyN91Yb

You would have to validate the waterproofing of the other camera though as it looks like it’s designed for interior/cabin

Jethro

First Name
Jethro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (on order)
Occupation
consultant
Country flag
Very nice! I love the toyota rear view and bird’s eye system and that’s 4 years old!
I’m happy to see aftermarket fold stepping up to complete the Cybertruck‘s pragmatic features. Now how about a roll down rear window, turn signal stalks, lockers, Frunk power, drivers display, replace all that plastic w/ Stainless Steel AND some knobs/buttons/controls that can actually be used when bouncing around the outback.

OP
OP

SARC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One reason why I want the upper light bar is that I wanted to get one of these that has side cameras and a rear camera and to mount them facing backward on the upper lightbar (side cameras read and down of course). Then the question is, can we use the power cable for the interior-facing camera in the upper console and just remove/replace the Tesla mirror altogether. Had you thought of any of these?
Agreed having the camera higher up would be better. Having it on the back of a light bar sounds like a good idea. To power your lightbar, I assume you are going to tap into the preinstalled 48V feed in one of the roof channels? Assuming the cameras are part of the light bar, they would be powered from there?

OP
OP

SARC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Agreed having the camera higher up would be better. Having it on the back of a light bar sounds like a good idea. To power your lightbar, I assume you are going to tap into the preinstalled 48V feed in one of the roof channels? Assuming the cameras are part of the light bar, they would be powered from there?
I was hoping to do that, but if not, to at least run the power in through the same location as the 48v power cable.

edc

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Y, Cybertruck
Country flag
Awesome. I wish we could have the camera higher up near the aero cover above the tonneau cover so it stays clean. But that's legit. Drill a hole through it and you got a hidden rear camera

Dmayo305

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S, 2023 Model X, Awaiting VIN for CT
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I put together a raspberry pi with a touch screen and a camera, I was going to toy around with mounting the camera to the roof glass (inside) pointing out. Unfortunately, my truck has been in service since April 16th, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I’m still trying to figure out what the difference is between having the rear view camera display in the center screen versus in the rear view mirror? I don’t have my truck yet but assume one would just need to retrain his/her brain to look at the screen instead of up at the mirror…I suspect removing the mirror altogether would reinforce this.
Yes, I think so, it's all about habitually looking in the same place for a rearview, that creates entrenched neural pathways that some people find difficult to break free of. And they feel stupid every time they fall back to their old habit and look in the wrong place. It took me about a week to mostly get used to looking in a different place, I'm sure it might take months for the last bit of it to go away. I actually think it makes my brain younger to re-train some of those neural pathways that are pure habit, with no reason for them being entrenched other than that's how I've done it so many times in the past. This forces my brain out of those entrenched habits and tickles other areas of my brain alive.

I might have an easier time than some because I had to go through this same kind of training when I was much younger and had taken various jobs where I had to drive vans and trucks without a center rear view. I trained myself to use the side mirrors instead. I found it easier at age 18 than at 61, but those early driving experiences without a rear view taught me I don't need a rear view, so maybe I'm less entrenched in my ways than many younger people who have always had a rear-view mirror. I've only had one for 99% of my miles, which is probably why I never understood the visceral reactions of some at not having a "real" rear view mirror (I already knew it was not a big deal). But I am often surprised how resistant some adults are to change. I feel like change, new experiences and new ways of doing things is what keeps my brain from becoming ossified in old age. I think ingrained habits are good to break free of, it opens the mind up.

I've only driven my Cybertruck 500 miles over two weeks and I'm already 98% of the way there.

RN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FS AWD
Country flag
This is great solution, even though I wish there was a wireless version.

jackychu

First Name
Jacky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model Y
Country flag

DFWBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (May??), MS'22 (Sold), M3P (Sold)
Country flag
I’m still trying to figure out what the difference is between having the rear view camera display in the center screen versus in the rear view mirror? I don’t have my truck yet but assume one would just need to retrain his/her brain to look at the screen instead of up at the mirror…I suspect removing the mirror altogether would reinforce this.
I've only driven it once, and feel this would be an ideal mod.

The stock camera on screen is pretty small. This is probably 2x bigger? And at night it's essentially useless.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My problem with the factory camera is that it gets dirty too easily. That is why I want to mount the rear-facing camera up high, where the upper light bar would be if I could get one.
Why not on the trim piece above the tonneau?

And yes, it does seem like it needs a much more narrow field of view. You have the other cameras, after all.

-Crissa

Nobell32

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast Foundation
Country flag
It takes A bit to get used to but I like the on screen rear view. It works well in connection with the front and side cameras.
Sponsored