Who would like to, or plan to remove your mirrors?

• Total voters

A-AY-RON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'69 CAMARO, '08 HUMMER H3 ALPHA, '15 VIPER
Occupation
SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Country flag
I hope to remove side mirrors and wiper arm when not towing. This is purely to minimize easy-button vandalism.
Sponsored

Rud

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 2x Lexus, Tahoe, 4Runner, model x, tractor,
Occupation
Rancher
Country flag
I have a ranch and tow more than most. however I want to take them off. Is there a aftermarket product to fill the hole that is not affected by wind?. Btw in many cases you can remove a side mirror in 5 minutes with the right tools. I saw a video on some detailing and they did it quick. For me it’s about the wind noise sans hole, a good OEM cap. Move on!

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I hope to remove side mirrors and wiper arm when not towing. This is purely to minimize easy-button vandalism.
I bet someone could make a quick release mirror to interface with the original attachment.

As far as removing the wiper, one muddy puddle splash and you might be done for even if the road are dry.

I get the desire, but difficult to implement.

brur

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla plaid
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Regardless of the laws I am old-fashioned, I have tried it in my model S to get used to the rear view camera but it is a bird's eye and the distance is deceiving. I still find it more helpful to see through the mirrors than the cameras. I'm 43 years old Just for reference. I'm sure younger drivers that got used to this from the beginning may take them off and older drivers will keep them.
model s refresh, never use the mirrors~ 70 plus yo

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'd imagine most states post broad definitions of "mirror" so you could literally bolt on a dime sized "mirror" or smaller and be in "compliance".

Just like how states say you can't have blue or red under glowing lights on your vehicles. Ok. Fine.

Find colors that are legally trademarked as something other than red or blue, and tune your lights to those. The courts have al
I'd imagine most states post broad definitions of "mirror" so you could literally bolt on a dime sized "mirror" or smaller and be in "compliance".

Just like how states say you can't have blue or red under glowing lights on your vehicles. Ok. Fine.

Find colors that are legally trademarked as something other than red or blue in the name, and tune your lights to match those. The courts have already set legal precedent on the color, so it's be easy to argue that one in court🤷‍♂️

hammer70

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y & 3
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Maybe after fsd is solved… I’m 54 and I already have to adapt to no stock and rear view mirror on screen… that’s as far as I can go for now.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
In these condition, my back camera is fully obscured within seconds of driving on both my M3P and Lightning. It's just a reality with the weather. Only way to change that is self cleaning camera.
My experience on nasty roads, snow, slush, mud slop and de-icer, is that the rear view camera on my Model 3 becomes degraded almost instantly, but is still very useable, generally for hours of driving. As long as I wipe it off every drive, or every stop if I'm on an extended trip, it works fine. You don't need a crystal clear lens to use the rear view for it's intended purpose, to check the positioning of other traffic around you. Sure, it's blurry, but so what?

I've driven delivery vans that had no rear view whatsover, no cameras either. Not a big problem. I ski at the snowiest ski area in the world, much snowier than Buffalo.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I must be missing something. We are traveling now and the rear and side cameras are getting messed up frequently. The weather really doesn’t allow for us to get out and clean the cameras except at charging stations, every hundred odd miles. Sure, I can jump out of the car more often, like I did when my Lexus wiper froze up during an XC trip, but I hated that and it was a primary reason for not wanting another Lexus. I really want this view issue handled by Tesla.
When I wax my cars, I make sure I buff a little of the carnauba wax residue on the microfiber I use to buff the body onto the camera lens. It really helps them go hundreds of miles through nasty winter weather without the view becoming too obscured.

swinefeaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Awd
Country flag
Don't get me started on the turn signal problem. If a simple AI can't figure out that you have changed lanes and cancel the turn signal after the lane change we have problems.
my model x does this already and it's awesome. i'm assuming the CT will do the same (or any other tesla without stalks)

84Apollo3

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I am personally torn. On one hand I would love to gain 2-3% range on the highway, eliminate a little noise, and not have to worry about them getting destroyed. On the other hand I might be trending towards the older inflexible stereo type.

On my M3 I would feel weird not having them. The recent blind spot indicator change was very helpful, but I think Tesla could improve the UI somehow which would make me commit to ditching the mirrors. I think the mirror emulation layout on the screen should be horizontal instead of stacked on the screen. Maybe even having the rearview camera pop up in the middle. This would be more intuitive for me. Maybe have an option to keep the mirror views up even if you are not changing lanes.

I think the other thing that would help ditch the mirrors is the fact the 4 other cars that I occasionally drive still have mirrors. Once these vehicles expire it will be easier. IDK maybe I would consider ditching the just the passenger mirror, then the drivers side as a transition.

Don't get me started on the turn signal problem. If a simple AI can't figure out that you have changed lanes and cancel the turn signal after the lane change we have problems. Yes I am that guy with a turn signal flashing for miles. The mirror popups are rather small and I don't always realize the signal is still active.

Admin addendum - here's a look at Cybertruck without side mirrors:

matte black cybertruck mirrors removed (1).jpg
I don’t know if this has been said yet and I don’t care to look through pages of this thread but AI to cancel the turn signal is a simple setting in the UI.

CybrDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I am still trying to train my brain to be okay with looking in the middle at the cameras versus the mirrors when I am backing in, especially while turning and backing in. I still need to crack my code to do this. I like the look of the Cybertruck without mirrors; someone needs to come out with a plug soon.

84Apollo3

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I love the video feed rear view - much more visibility. The only time I use my mirrors on my model3 is when I am backing out of my garage and I need to make sure the mirrors don't hit the side of the garage door (it's tight since I share the space with another car). If I didn't have mirrors I wouldn't miss them at all.
I have auto fold turned on which folds them when I enter the driveway and before I pull in the garage, and then unfolds them when I back out and drive forward once at 10 or 15 mph. I am in the same boat as you but this allows me more horizontal space. Also, because of this setting, and to your point, I only use them when backing out of the garage to make sure they don’t hit the side but I am not actually using the mirror, I’m looking directly at the folded mirror.

I’d like to delete them on CT but would like to see Tesla improve the interface. Like many, I had hoped for the A Pillar screens. They should have included those and the mirrors for compliance.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don’t know if this has been said yet and I don’t care to look through pages of this thread but AI to cancel the turn signal is a simple setting in the UI.
I set this yesterday and it is great … except when you forget and try to manually turn the signal off and the car turns on the opposite signal … making me look extra stupid to people behind me :)

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
I have auto fold turned on which folds them when I enter the driveway and before I pull in the garage, and then unfolds them when I back out and drive forward once at 10 or 15 mph. I am in the same boat as you but this allows me more horizontal space. Also, because of this setting, and to your point, I only use them when backing out of the garage to make sure they don’t hit the side but I am not actually using the mirror, I’m looking directly at the folded mirror.

I’d like to delete them on CT but would like to see Tesla improve the interface. Like many, I had hoped for the A Pillar screens. They should have included those and the mirrors for compliance.
Good thought on the auto-folding.

I was totally on board with the A-pillar screens until someone pointed out that that is a problem for anyone with aging eyesight. Mirrors work well there because your eye still focuses to the distance so no adjustment needed switching from forward view to mirrors and back. Not so with a screen on the A pillar - geezers like me will have to lean our heads waaay back to see it through the bottom of our glasses! Not a problem with the model 3 since it is down below the horizon - just a flick of the eyes (no head movement needed) and your are seeing it with the correct prescription.
Sponsored