CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
You doubt how much people will pay to have an OEM thing even when other less expensive thing exists to perform the same function?

can I introduce you to…

DC2F4570-272D-4AE2-AF39-3AC0962D665F.jpeg

you doubt it based on what?

Feels?

ever heard of a product called a “Jeep”?
Not sure I follow. Doubting what?
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Maybe someone or TESLA will come up with a small camera to go into that hole..and be able to transmit that video feed to a better rear view mirror. Heck, while I'm on the topic, also need another camera feed from a rear camera to use when the vault is closed. I know already there is a feed on the screen.. My idea is better 🤪

Etron's in Europe have a camera option..
Screenshot_20231220_171918_Google.jpg
No need to add cameras, they're already on the fenders. One would have to find a way to tap into the video feed so as to display it on third party screens.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Not sure I follow. Doubting what?
my bad - shouldn’t have used a keyboard after a Christmas party 😵💫

was attempting to be playfully sarcastic that, while of course plenty of folks will buy cheaper aftermarket options, it’s amazing what other people will pay for anything OEM Tesla

enter cyberwhistle, cyberbeer, OEM door-hole-cap, etc.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'll use some wing profile and 3d print a replacement to mount the additional cameras that will feed to a couple extra monitors that will sit on the sides (so they will be about where I'm used to looking) And no, they won't be CA compliant. But I'll save the mirrors if I get a fix-it ticket. I've posted these monitors before...
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 7.29.16 PM.png

There are quite a few things that CA requires that tons of people ignore, tinting the driver and front passenger windows, front license plates, exhaust modifications, and the list goes on...
Excellent idea! I was thinking about replacing them with independant cameras too. I hope the aftermarket ends up bringing us some that are specific to the CT with OLED screens.

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 26709
Current as of January 01, 2023 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
(a)(1) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
(2) Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
(3) A bus or trolley coach.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.
(d) This section does not apply to an autonomous vehicle, as defined in Section 38750, that is not capable of operation by a human driver seated in the vehicle, provided that this exemption is consistent with, or authorized by, any applicable federal law, regulation, or exemption thereto.
As for the CA side mirror requirement, I would choose malicious compliance.

That means you can use literally a reflective dot as a "mirror". If anyone questions it, you can mark out 200 feet, shine a laser at the "mirror", and ask them if they were able to see it. If the answer is "yes", then you have fulfilled the legal requirement.

If they drag you to court, I would hire a physicist rather than a lawyer.

Last edited:

dodgy-truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X
Country flag
I doubt it will be possible to handle the various state laws that govern side view mirrors. There is an awesome compilation of the laws at this link:

At the very least if the rear view mirror is obstructed - the side view mirrors are a requirement. Trying to convince a cop may not be worth the trouble. Is there a legal precedent to using a digital view of the rear on the screen substitute the rear view mirror?

Too messy imho

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Excellent idea! I was thinking about replacing them with independant cameras too. I hope the aftermarket ends up bringing us some that are specific to the CT with OLED screens.

As for the CA side mirror requirement, I would choose malicious compliance.

That means you can use literally a reflective dot as a mirror. If anyone questions it, you can mark out 200 feet, shine a laser at the mirror, and ask them if they were able to see it. If the answer is "yes", then you have fulfilled the legal requirement.

If they drag you to court, I would hire a physicist rather than a lawyer.
In CA, these kind of things are “Fix It tickets“. Two things worth noting here. The first is, you won’t get pulled over for something like this. It is an add on when they pull you over for something else. (Exhibition of speed, speeding, unsafe speed, something like that) The second is, you have a “fee” to pay (last i saw it was $25-50) and you have to correct the vehicle, and take it to a policeman or Sheriff and have them sign off your correction. Then just mail it in.

So let’s pretend some scofflaw ne’er-do-well outlier takes their mirrors off and gets a ticket for this (in addition to something more expensive) Said outlaw then puts on 1 or 2 of the side mirrors, takes it to the Po-Po and gets it signed off, mails in the correction proof, and goes back and takes off the mirrors. It costs them what, $50 and a couple hours of time? Not worth hiring anyone.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In CA, these kind of things are “Fix It tickets“. Two things worth noting here. The first is, you won’t get pulled over for something like this. It is an add on when they pull you over for something else. (Exhibition of speed, speeding, unsafe speed, something like that) The second is, you have a “fee” to pay (last i saw it was $25-50) and you have to correct the vehicle, and take it to a policeman or Sheriff and have them sign off your correction. Then just mail it in.

So let’s pretend some scofflaw ne’er-do-well outlier takes their mirrors off and gets a ticket for this (in addition to something more expensive) Said outlaw then puts on 1 or 2 of the side mirrors, takes it to the Po-Po and gets it signed off, mails in the correction proof, and goes back and takes off the mirrors. It costs them what, $50 and a couple hours of time? Not worth hiring anyone.
yeah, I get it. Taking it to court would definitely be for someone who is already a lawyer or who knows someone that would do it 'Pro bono publico'.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Tesla will have a solution.

Way that trim works, it’s supposed to be easily removed - and Tesla won’t miss a chance for an OEM $2 part that costs $45 🤣
It has to be a stainless steel plate with gaskets...Soo maybe like a $60 side mirror delete kit. Lol

Bkb13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
Here’s a better video, showing the side mirror removal

Sponsored