Do you think battery mileage will increase?

Gvogt88

First Name
Greg Vogt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK (hopefully soon)
Occupation
Union electrician
Country flag
I'm new to Tesla, test drove the Model 3 last year and pre ordered the Cybertruck the night it was unveiled.

I chose the dual motor, 300 miles version. I'm just wondering, if by the time production starts rolling if the batteries will have a higher mileage capacity than what is available now and if Tesla will do that. Just wondering because I'm wondering if I should go with the tri motor instead. I live in Pittsburgh, it's hilly, can get cold and just wonder how the battery mileage will hold up.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rix

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I'm hoping for a dual motor model with optional LR battery pack.

I don't need or want a tri motor CT, but I do want more than a 300 mile range.

Last edited:

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
Usually when Tesla unveils products is conservative.
2 years in electric cars technology are very longtime. Possibly, they can improve efficiency and battery.
But at the end, 300mi given its size at that price, CT is awesome.

OP
OP

Gvogt88

First Name
Greg Vogt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Union electrician
Country flag

I don't need or want a tri motor CT, but I also want more than 300 mile range.
I guess we'll have to see... hopefully something like that happens

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
If I remember correctly, didn't the Model 3 prediction say 230+ and then come in at 250 for the base model?

I'm hopeful the base model that claims 250+ will come in at 275-300. Hopeful thinking, but why not!

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
I am hoping to go with the solar panel option.. If their claim is close to the actual, then the power from the solar panel should be sufficient for most of my use.

OP
OP

Gvogt88

First Name
Greg Vogt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Union electrician
Country flag

I agree, I don't need 0-60 in 2.9 seconds or 14,000 lbs towing lol. I do want the higher mileage capacity though!??

scottysize

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
My advice on EVs. Get the largest battery available. Tesla batteries hold up better than others, however, they still go down in range.

Orbywan

First Name
Orb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

my sentiment too. I’m also down for dual mtr. Don’t need quicker or stronger but would LOVE more range. Especially since, as pointed out elsewhere here, range will diminish over time.

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
My advice on EVs. Get the largest battery available. Tesla batteries hold up better than others, however, they still go down in range.
I Keep cars for al long time so I get the biggest battery option. Less cycles for the same distance driven ist what I want.

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag

I’d like that too, but I wonder if Tesla will figure out that they can monetize range. Tie the battery to the trim level and not offer independent battery upgrade, so more people pay $20K extra for the third motor that they don’t want.

Similar to the way Apple has monetized storage on the iPhone. Memory is cheap and easy for them but people will pay for it. So they don’t allow external sd cards and they charge people an extra $100 to upgrade storage.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
I’d like that too, but I wonder if Tesla will figure out that they can monetize range. Tie the battery to the trim level and not offer independent battery upgrade, so more people pay $20K extra for the third motor that they don’t want.

Similar to the way Apple has monetized storage on the iPhone. Memory is cheap and easy for them but people will pay for it. So they don’t allow external sd cards and they charge people an extra $100 to upgrade storage.
The "problem" with electric vehicles is that adding power is quite easy and cheap, but adding range is way more expensive.

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
We can afford the price of $70,000 for dual motors AWD, but with LR Like 800 miles and RFT (run flat tires)… Also, why Tesla increased the Range during the fire in California ? And could and might increase that range for the maximum especially for Northern (heater) and southern (AC).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I am hoping to go with the solar panel option.. If their claim is close to the actual, then the power from the solar panel should be sufficient for most of my use.
Be careful about how you interpret the claims. The problem with solar is that the sun heads south in the winter while at the same time lousy weather rolls in. In the three weeks around the summer solstice I average 5.37 kWh/m^2•da effective sun. In the three weeks near the winter solstice (now) I'm getting but 1.42. In the summer that's enough to cover all my needs but in the winter it only covers 13.7% (demand also goes up in winter because of heat pumps and charging the X100D).

As to the battery tech in the CT: 2 years is a long time. Who knows where battery tech will be by then?
Sponsored