Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not for nothing but let's see a prototype and a plan to get it produced and some semblance of what the actual technologies used in the vehicle will be before we blindly believe a 4-minute promo video.
If you have the time, it's long. A little more detail here:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Strange, I'm still watching it. Not sure what happened.
The live video was 3:02:50 long. Nothing started until 30mins into the video. I guess I caught it before they took it down. But I can't get a link to it to work :(

Live event on 8 July 2021 00:00 Waiting loop 29:15 Introduction 36:14 Customers and brands 1:17:33 Technology 1:46:50 Ecosystem 2:02:23 Financials 2:09:45 Conclusion 2:13:59 Questions & Answers

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The live video was 3:02:50 long. Nothing started until 30mins into the video. I guess I caught it before they took it down. But I can't get a link to it to work :(

Live event on 8 July 2021 00:00 Waiting loop 29:15 Introduction 36:14 Customers and brands 1:17:33 Technology 1:46:50 Ecosystem 2:02:23 Financials 2:09:45 Conclusion 2:13:59 Questions & Answers
Looks like it all got taken down. Apparently, it was only for the live cast. Though it looks like some of the promos were posted separately.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am liking the electric Manta E but do not expect production to be the concept design shown in the video.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like it all got taken down. Apparently, it was only for the live cast. Though it looks like some of the promos were posted separately.

Also mentioned was Foxconn

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning Mobile_Drive_Banner

May 18, 2021 - Conference Call and Webcast

Stellantis and Foxconn Announce Plans to Develop Breakthrough Digital Cockpits and Personalized Connected Services

Mobile Drive, the new 50/50 joint venture announced by Stellantis and Foxconn is aimed at accelerating development timelines to bring innovative in-vehicle user experiences enabled by advanced consumer electronics, HMI interfaces and services that will exceed customer expectations.

The joint venture will focus on infotainment, telematics and cloud service platform development with software innovations expected to include artificial intelligence-based applications, 5G communication, upgraded over-the-air services, e-commerce opportunities and smart cockpit integrations.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not for nothing but let's see a prototype and a plan to get it produced and some semblance of what the actual technologies used in the vehicle will be before we blindly believe a 4-minute promo video.
This is one place where Ford really blew everyone's socks off I think.

No vision statements or big PowerPoint presentations. They just plopped the F150 prototype out on the table and let everyone measure it up.

"Ram" and GM are looking like dopes right now with their goofy Hummer and fantasy presentation. (I still can't quite get my head around "Ram" as the brand as opposed to Dodge)

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is one place where Ford really blew everyone's socks off I think.
Maybe yours but not mine. The F-150 Lighting was a bit of a disappointment to me. Price too high and not enough range.

They did get their EV truck out there before RAM but the RAM will be better! ? ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe yours but not mine. The F-150 Lighting was a bit of a disappointment to me. Price too high and not enough range.

They did get their EV truck out there before RAM but the RAM will be better! ? ?
My preference is Tesla. I think by far the best offering and value. And they also don't screw around.

I was posting thinking from the perspective of existing "US" auto companies. Heck... all the auto companies. Toyota and Honda are just blowing smoke at this point too.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Toyota and Honda are just blowing smoke at this point too.
Toyota Is the worst as far as their EV plans/strategy goes. They are stuck in hybrid mode. I have always liked Toyota(owned 2) but they will be like Sony, once solid but never regained their status in consumer electronics.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Four new electric platforms, five gigafactories: Stellantis’ EV plan
The world's fourth-largest OEM just laid out its electrification strategy.
JONATHAN M. GITLIN

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning electric-RAM-outline

In 2024, Ram will offer a battery-electric Ram 1500 pickup truck.

Stellantis, the automaker with a portfolio of 14 brands that includes Jeep, Ram, Peugeot, and Citroën, is planning four new platforms for battery-electric vehicles as part of its electrification strategy. The company revealed its new EV strategy on Thursday morning, laying out a roadmap that it says will result in class-leading EVs in every segment, from small city cars to body-on-frame pickup trucks and commercial vans.

"The customer is always at the heart of Stellantis, and our commitment with this €30 billion [$35.5 billion] plus investment plan is to offer iconic vehicles that have the performance, capability, style, comfort and electric range that fit seamlessly into their daily lives," said Carlos Tavares, Stellantis' chief executive officer. "The strategy we laid out today focuses the right amount of investment on the right technology to reach the market at the right time, ensuring that Stellantis powers the freedom of movement in the most efficient, affordable and sustainable way."

The STLA Small platform will be for city cars with a range of up to 300 miles (500 km), and we're unlikely to see many of them here in the US, barring some fundamental shift in North American attitudes toward small, slow, cheap cars. STLA medium will give rise to compact EVs with a range of up to 440 miles (700 km).

STLA Large is for AWD performance cars, and importantly for the US market, muscle cars and SUVs. Stellantis says that eight vehicles built on the STLA Large platform will come to market in the next 3-5 years and that it's targeting 4.3 miles/kWh (6.9 km/kWh) for US-bound EVs.

Finally, there is the STLA Frame, which (as the name suggests) is a body-on-frame platform as opposed to the monocoque construction of the other three STLA EV platforms. STLA Frame will be used for full-size pickups and commercial vehicles, with an electric Ram 1500 truck due in 2024. Stellantis also briefly mentioned something called the "Range Electric Paradigm Breaker," which sounds like it might be a series hybrid, but Stellantis says it's not prepared to share any more details on the REPB yet.

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-9.27.28-AM

Stellantis has four new EV platforms in development.

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-9.29.28-AM

The four platforms will use different battery sizes.

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-9.42.14-AM

Stellantis will have three different drive modules in varying power outputs.

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-9.45.02-AM

Stellantis will use two different lithium-ion chemistries by 2024 and plans to introduce solid-state cells in 2026.

Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-9.41.16-AM (1)

There is a common power inverter design but with two possible semiconductors for different power levels.

Each platform will be up to 2 million units a year. Volume and a high degree of shared components are key for both speed to market as well as cost control, Stellantis says. There will be three core drive modules that package the electric motor together with the transmission and power inverter. These drive modules also will be suitable for front-, rear-, and all-wheel drive applications, as well as 4xe in the case of plug-in hybrid Jeeps.

Power output will scale from 70 kW (94 hp) up to 330 kW (442 hp), with the most powerful drive modules operating at 800 V (as opposed to 400 V). There is a single common inverter across all three drive modules, which Stellantis says can operate at both voltages, with the main difference being the use of either silicon or silicon carbide semiconductors. Stellantis says it plans to build motors locally for each market, and in the US and China that will include building them in-house as well as from suppliers.

The new platforms will use a pair of battery-cell chemistries, one that uses no nickel or cobalt, and the other a high-energy density chemistry. (Additionally, it says that it will introduce solid-state battery packs by 2026.) STLA Small vehicles will use packs with capacities between 37 kWh and 82 kWh. STLA Medium EVs will carry between 87 kWh and 104 kWh, STLA Large will use packs of 101 kWh and 118 kWh, and STLA Frame will require between 159 kWh and 200 kWh packs. By 2030, that will require more than 260 GWh/year, which will be provided by five massive battery factories in Europe and North America. By that time, 70 percent of Stellantis' European sales and 40 percent of its North American sales will be low-emissions vehicles, it says.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
The whole point of this presentation is to placate shareholders and perhaps delay some of their customers purchase decision until they have an actual product.

Why not be optimistic? It's not like Car and Driver are going to check their figures when they launch in 3 years.
They are the last of the "big 3" to announce a EV platform and architecture. I think the slide most revealing is the battery kWh pack size needed to attain the 500mi range.

Basically they are saying 200kWh LiFePO4 battery pack is needed to reach 500mi range. No shocker there as this is pretty closely resembling the VW strategy.

Cheapest batteries they can get their hands on and throw as many of them in there as they can to achieve the desired result.

Solid state hasnt proven to be a scalable endeavor at this point. By 2026 who knows what 4680 cost structure will look like. It's all about cost. If tesla can slap a 100kWh pack in a CT for 5k, then I highly doubt a cost competitive solid state solution will exist. Maybe by 2030.

This presentation is exactly what you said. A holding action to keep loyal customers in the wings waiting a little longer.

At the end of the day, its about software, charging infrastructure and efficiency. For me brand loyalty is dead. Too little too late.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They are the last of the "big 3" to announce a EV platform and architecture. I think the slide most revealing is the battery kWh pack size needed to attain the 500mi range.

Basically they are saying 200kWh LiFePO4 battery pack is needed to reach 500mi range. No shocker there as this is pretty closely resembling the VW strategy.

Cheapest batteries they can get their hands on and throw as many of them in there as they can to achieve the desired result.
A lot of this is about batteries. Who can make the most efficient batteries and squeeze the most miles out of those batteries. So far it's Tesla by a large margin.

With trucks it seems like this will be even more important. I'm betting a big part of how Tesla gets 500 miles range involves aerodynamics, lower weight, and a comparatively smaller battery. Likely 150 kWh.

There are some downsides to that, once you add a giant trailer to the back, the Tesla's range it going to take a bigger hit than the Ford or Dodge.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Four new electric platforms, five gigafactories: Stellantis’ EV plan

The world's fourth-largest OEM just laid out its electrification strategy.

electric-RAM-outline-800x450.jpg

Enlarge / In 2024, Ram will offer a battery-electric Ram 1500 pickup truck.
Stellantis

Stellantis, the automaker with a portfolio of 14 brands that includes Jeep, Ram, Peugeot, and Citroën, is planning four new platforms for battery-electric vehicles as part of its electrification strategy. The company revealed its new EV strategy on Thursday morning, laying out a roadmap that it says will result in class-leading EVs in every segment, from small city cars to body-on-frame pickup trucks and commercial vans.

"The customer is always at the heart of Stellantis, and our commitment with this €30 billion [$35.5 billion] plus investment plan is to offer iconic vehicles that have the performance, capability, style, comfort and electric range that fit seamlessly into their daily lives," said Carlos Tavares, Stellantis' chief executive officer. "The strategy we laid out today focuses the right amount of investment on the right technology to reach the market at the right time, ensuring that Stellantis powers the freedom of movement in the most efficient, affordable and sustainable way."

The STLA Small platform will be for city cars with a range of up to 300 miles (500 km), and we're unlikely to see many of them here in the US, barring some fundamental shift in North American attitudes toward small, slow, cheap cars. STLA medium will give rise to compact EVs with a range of up to 440 miles (700 km).

STLA Large is for AWD performance cars, and importantly for the US market, muscle cars and SUVs. Stellantis says that eight vehicles built on the STLA Large platform will come to market in the next 3-5 years and that it's targeting 4.3 miles/kWh (6.9 km/kWh) for US-bound EVs.

Finally, there is the STLA Frame, which (as the name suggests) is a body-on-frame platform as opposed to the monocoque construction of the other three STLA EV platforms. STLA Frame will be used for full-size pickups and commercial vehicles, with an electric Ram 1500 truck due in 2024. Stellantis also briefly mentioned something called the "Range Electric Paradigm Breaker," which sounds like it might be a series hybrid, but Stellantis says it's not prepared to share any more details on the REPB yet.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.43.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.43.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.43.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.43.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.42.48 PM.png

Each platform will be up to 2 million units a year. Volume and a high degree of shared components are key for both speed to market as well as cost control, Stellantis says. There will be three core drive modules that package the electric motor together with the transmission and power inverter. These drive modules also will be suitable for front-, rear-, and all-wheel drive applications, as well as 4xe in the case of plug-in hybrid Jeeps.

Power output will scale from 70 kW (94 hp) up to 330 kW (442 hp), with the most powerful drive modules operating at 800 V (as opposed to 400 V). There is a single common inverter across all three drive modules, which Stellantis says can operate at both voltages, with the main difference being the use of either silicon or silicon carbide semiconductors. Stellantis says it plans to build motors locally for each market, and in the US and China that will include building them in-house as well as from suppliers.

The new platforms will use a pair of battery-cell chemistries, one that uses no nickel or cobalt, and the other a high-energy density chemistry. (Additionally, it says that it will introduce solid-state battery packs by 2026.) STLA Small vehicles will use packs with capacities between 37 kWh and 82 kWh. STLA Medium EVs will carry between 87 kWh and 104 kWh, STLA Large will use packs of 101 kWh and 118 kWh, and STLA Frame will require between 159 kWh and 200 kWh packs. By 2030, that will require more than 260 GWh/year, which will be provided by five massive battery factories in Europe and North America. By that time, 70 percent of Stellantis' European sales and 40 percent of its North American sales will be low-emissions vehicles, it says.

SOURCE: arsTECHNICA

The brand mottos look like straight parody. “Tear up the streets, not the planet” ???

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Pretty weird presentation considering they are literally 5-15 years behind the curve depending on your perspective. The whole presentation is doublespeak. They talk about what they are doing "Today"... but they aren't even announcing a product, they are selling a promise that in 3 years they will kick everyone's ass... just you want and see.

"We are not following in the footsteps of our competitors..."

Hmm? Hate to break it to you, but you are.

This whole thing just stinks of a company that got caught with their pants down and is desperately trying to make it look like the whole thing was planned.
This does seem like a desperate “oh sh*t!!” Moment for Chrysler. Like they just now realized when F150 hit 100k reservations that “this electric car thing might actually be something!!”. Feels a bit rushed with no meat ie: not a single working prototype on display.
Sponsored