Does the Delivery Situation in Texas Affect Country-wide Delivery?

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There was a time when a US consumer could buy a German car like BMW or Porsche and pick it up at the factory and drive around Europe. This way the transportation cost was reduced and when you brought the car back to the US it would be considered a used car so the excise tax wouldn't apply. That's what I've been told at least.........?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Current TX state laws ban direct car-to-consumer sales. Texans can currently buy Teslas online but the transactions and vehicles must originate out of state. You can blame TADA (Texas Automobile Dealers Association) and their powerful lobbying group along with Governor Greg Abbott who bows down to the petroleum companies.

They will keep the outdated rules alive as long as possible. Their logic is "Franchise laws exist to prevent monopolies and promote competition in vehicle pricing and service to the consumer, provide for the efficient distribution of vehicles and service across the wide geographic area that is our state, and provide a local presence where Texas consumers can have service, warranty and recall work performed even in cases when a manufacturer ceases to do business."

The statewide trade association represents over 1,400 franchised automobile dealerships in 289 communities throughout the state of Texas. TADA advocates on behalf of the dealers at the Texas Legislature, Congress, and all regulatory agencies.

Last edited:

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There was a time when a US consumer could buy a German car like BMW or Porsche and pick it up at the factory and drive around Europe. This way the transportation cost was reduced and when you brought the car back to the US it would be considered a used car so the excise tax wouldn't apply. That's what I've been told at least.........?
I’m up for that, spend a couple of months exploring that part of the world, watch the F1 race and also take a tour of the factory.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I was getting ready to post the exact same question.
If it was any other state where they could deliver locally, I would assume they would deliver there first.

I was getting my hopes up that I may get an earlier delivery based some assumptions.
1. Dual motors delivered first.
2. Deliver locally first.

But I remembered the funky rules Texas has about buying cars directly from the maker.
The Texas legislature just finished their session yesterday. I haven't heard about any changes on this. They wont meet again for two years. Bah
... and it's Tri-motors delivered first.

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
I was looking for a post that said the delivery order. I think originally they said the single motor. Then that got changed. In the past the tri motor vehicles came after the dual motor. I would like to see the post where they mention what the current order is.

K

OP
OP

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
It's actually both at the same time. Although that could all change with time. I think it's safe to say the single motor won't be first, however, if it even makes it to market.

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
Elon should convince Mexico to open an "Embassy" at the factory site, so they could drive the CT to "foreign soil" and back. For a modest import/export fee, of course
That is a great idea! I would fly to "Mexico" (or Mexico, for that matter) to pick up my CT.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
If I understand correctly, the trucks will have to be shipped past state lines before being shipped to buyers in Texas. So maybe all the states next to Texas now have the best chance of getting them first. This whole situation
is ridiculous.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
What happened to picking them up from the factory in Texas. I live in the Texas panhabdle even if they have to leave the state, they could cut thru sw Oklahoma and then go back into the panhandle without going out of the way.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What happened to picking them up from the factory in Texas. I live in the Texas panhabdle even if they have to leave the state, they could cut thru sw Oklahoma and then go back into the panhandle without going out of the way.
Oh, well, out of state people can pick them up anywhere. Texas law doesn't stop that. Bring your temp plates with you!

Of course, we don't know they'll do factory pickup.

-Crissa

ijoe13

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
If I understand correctly, the trucks will have to be shipped past state lines before being shipped to buyers in Texas. So maybe all the states next to Texas now have the best chance of getting them first. This whole situation
is ridiculous.
So hilarious. I would happily fly down to TX, pick up my CT and drive back to the PNW. Seems like deliveries will happen at a road side Tesla tent in NM, but I’m ok with that.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I think (but I'm not sure though) that we have to register the vehicle in our state (Arkansas in my case), show sales tax was paid, have licensing completed and bring purchase price, negating the the desirable option of buying a brand new 'used' vehicle. Of course, we don't have excise tax here, just sales tax which is bad enough. Even private sales used cars are gouged in this manner. They'll take our firstborn child if we let them. Meanwhile, we sit idly by.
Sponsored