Does wall charger need to be plugged back in after use?

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I am trying to game plan where to place my wall charger in my garage.

Long story short, I could:

- Install the charger right near where the chargeport on the car will be, but it will require a decent bit of conduit to get there.

- Install the charger right next to my panel, and then leave the charge cord hung up right next to where the chargeport will be (18' cable will reach easily). This skips unnecessary conduit runs. This essentially means the charger will never be plugged back into the wall charger when not in use, it will simply hang there near my car waiting to charge again.

Here is the main question: If I were to leave the charger hung on a hook, rather than sticking it back into the wall charger, is there anything I should be aware of that could cause an issue? Will updates still run as planned? Does software need the charger plugged back into the connector for any sort of metrics tracking?
Sponsored

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
By not keeping the car linked to the wall connector, you are missing out on quite a bit... but it isn't absolutely necessary. You will want the wall connector in an area that can receive wifi, if at all possible, as that will enable some good linkage with the mothership you will want.

You don't have to "plug" the plug back into the wall unit, it is just a receptacle to place it/there is nothing there but a small hook that supports the plug. It's just a different/handy version of you hanging it on a hook somewhere else.

Honestly, I'd just pay for the extra conduit. It will be worth it for you to have the ease of charging and not worrying about it. That is what I did and it has been worth it in the end. Good luck!

SS

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I suppose the answer will depend on the wall "charger" make and model but none that I have seen make any electrical connection between the charging wand and the "holster". The holster is a purely mechanical holder for the wand. Thus it makes no difference whether the wand is in the holster, on or off the EVSE, or just dangling.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Honestly, I'd just pay for the extra conduit. It will be worth it for you to have the ease of charging and not worrying about it
Have to agree with that. Keeping the cable off the floor is a plus for certain.

OP
OP

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Have to agree with that. Keeping the cable off the floor is a plus for certain.
True, maybe I'll just run the conduit, but it would be so much easier not to. Plus I'll have to get a bit more familiar with Colorado electrical code, when junction boxes are needed, etc.

Also, regardless of where I put the wall charge it will still have wifi and will be able to connect to the car, it's all close relatively speaking, but my garage has a lot of twists and turns on the ceiling I was hoping to avoid for conduit runs

Thanks for the info all

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
You're not really "plugging in" the cord to the connector. That's really just a hanger for the plug. Its wiring doesn't connect to anything. It just hangs there to look elegant and remain handy to grab the next time you need to charge. I have the first generation wall connector. the plug hanger is a separate piece not attached to the connector box.

Tesla Cybertruck Does wall charger need to be plugged back in after use? 1653534890157

LEX-JIM

First Name
JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3-2018 AWD
Country flag
You could run the cord across the ceiling from the panel to the charger door location and have it suspended on shock cords. That gives lots of flexibility; avoids expense of the conduit and J-Boxes; and then if you change your mind AFTER your CT arrives you aren't out big $$.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have seen such ceiling systems for air hose, cannot be too hard to modify it for a charging cord...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
HPWC in use. Located so as to keep cable off floor:
Tesla Cybertruck Does wall charger need to be plugged back in after use? IMG_1793

Same HPWC with wand stowed in internal "socket". No electrical connection:
Tesla Cybertruck Does wall charger need to be plugged back in after use? IMG_1792

WallBox Pulsar stowed. No internal socket:
Tesla Cybertruck Does wall charger need to be plugged back in after use? IMG_1795

dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
It's a lot easier, when the plug is within a couple feet of the charge port, when you dont have to take loops of cable off of the charger, and walk to your destination. (I know, small thing to complain about)

We've got 3 chargers, one on either side of the garage, and one on the exterior of the house. I normally park outside, and I've realized it's a lot easier when the charger is right next to the port, less dealing with the cable.

But no, the charger absolutely does not need to plug back in to itself in any way, it's simply a holder.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am trying to game plan where to place my wall charger in my garage.

Long story short, I could:

- Install the charger right near where the chargeport on the car will be, but it will require a decent bit of conduit to get there.

- Install the charger right next to my panel, and then leave the charge cord hung up right next to where the chargeport will be (18' cable will reach easily). This skips unnecessary conduit runs. This essentially means the charger will never be plugged back into the wall charger when not in use, it will simply hang there near my car waiting to charge again.

Here is the main question: If I were to leave the charger hung on a hook, rather than sticking it back into the wall charger, is there anything I should be aware of that could cause an issue? Will updates still run as planned? Does software need the charger plugged back into the connector for any sort of metrics tracking?
Where the handle is placed on my Tesla Wall Connector it is just a plastic receptacle. Nothing special. It is there to keep the plug 'clean' (whatever that means), dry, and 'organized' (whatever that means). In fact these quoted words are my own and not in any documentation I have seen. I recommend not leaving the plug in the dirt, on the floor, in water, etc. but it doesn't have to be placed back into the/a cradle.

I can''t believe I got tricked into responding to an ancient thread :)

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
...get a bit more familiar with Colorado electrical code, when junction boxes are needed, etc.
I got my supplies at Home Depot and Lowes, DIY and followed code. Main point is THHN wire needs to be in conduit to meet code.

JM EAGLE 1-1/2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Conduit $22.46 or
JM EAGLE 1 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Conduit $13.46
#6 thhn green for ground
#4 thhn black and red for each of the two hot legs
60a breaker
Sponsored