Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Doing my best William Wallace impression from Braveheart. "FREEDOM"!

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
TESLA TO RELEASE SELF-DRIVING BETA CAPABLE OF ‘zero intervention” IN A FEW WEEKS
by Joey Klender
posted October 8, 2020.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-rob...J_W_1hwqtyXknI0n2aXRLtv-r1mj87MMZ6NadDsrymav0

Tesla CEO Elon Musk stated earlier today that the latest build of FSD software would be released “in a few weeks.”

Musk’s idea of a completely self-driving vehicle has been evident for several years. Obtaining full autonomy is anything but an easy task, and Musk recognizes that other companies have done an efficient job creating driver assistance features to increase safety.

While ARK Invest’s Tasha Keeney described the process and development of self-driving vehicles in a series of tweets on Thursday, Musk stated that Waymo, another company with its sights set on fully-autonomous navigation, is doing an “impressive” job with developing zero-intervention driving capabilities.

The Tesla CEO then revealed that the company would release “the latest build” in a few weeks, which is capable of zero-intervention drives. This means that those operating the company’s vehicles with the Full Self-Driving suite will not be required to input any commands to their car.

The introduction of this capability hints toward the possible rollout of Tesla’s Robotaxi fleet, which will be the company’s in-house ride-hailing service. Before Tesla can allow drivers to use the Robotaxi fleet to take people from location to location, it must refine and improve its Autopilot and Full-Self Driving Suite, which the company has done through a series of Software Updates to improve functionality.

The announcement also coincides with Elon Musk’s belief that Tesla would be able to make use of the Robotaxi fleet in 2021. During the Q1 Earnings Call in 2020, Musk described his idea for the Robotaxi’s imminent rollout in 2021. “Not in all markets, but some,” he said.

Tesla’s ride-sharing service will eventually be comprised of previously leased Tesla vehicles, along with a fleet of currently-owned cars. Owners of Tesla vehicles will be able to make up to $30,000 a year by placing the cars into the Tesla network, giving people on-demand access to transportation through the “Car Access” feature on the Tesla Smartphone app.

The rollout of a zero-intervention self-driving infrastructure will revolutionize the way people drive cars. One thing that will undoubtedly improve is vehicle safety, as Tesla cars that operate on Autopilot and Full Self-Driving are 9.5 times less likely to be involved in an accident, the company’s most recent safety report said.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Good questions all, but at the end of the day society will hold the driver responsible if they are in control, and will hold the driver responsible if they weren’t in control but it is deemed that they should have been. Whether we choose to relinquish control, to whatever extent is, until we have L5 self driving capability, up to our discretion.
I always thought the way the Thais assign responsibility for traffic accidents interesting. If you are in a hired vehicle (taxi, limo, tuk-tuk) and it is involved in an accident you are liable based on reasoning that the driver would not be where he was when the accident occurred had you not hired him. This is a good thing to be aware if you are contemplating travel to Thailand.

Abl3rider

First Name
Able
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Jeez, all I wanted to know was if I could turn off the seatbelt reminder chime. Can you on current Teslas?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Jeez, all I wanted to know was if I could turn off the seatbelt reminder chime. Can you on current Teslas?
I don't know how it works on a Tesla, but on my Mazda it doesn't chime unless you drive off without securing. So I never hear it.

On my Nova, well, that thing was torn out and thrown in the glove box, Of course, that was one of the first years they had the required chime, so it was really bad.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I don't know how it works on a Tesla, but on my Mazda it doesn't chime unless you drive off without securing. So I never hear it.

On my Nova, well, that thing was torn out and thrown in the glove box, Of course, that was one of the first years they had the required chime, so it was really bad.

-Crissa
I remember back when it was fashionable for the "chime" to be a spoken word performance. I was SOOOOOO sick of the good old "THE DOOR IS A JAR" alert. And it would continue to repeat over and over. So if you jumped out of the car real quick to check something, or to get your mail, or to say hi to someone, or to just get a quiet moment away from the car, it would pester you the nonsensical false equivalency statement.

It's kind of like the studies these days about how people handle background noise. If it is something like white noise it is easy to ignore and talk over it. But as the background becomes more and more recognizable or even intelligible, the annoyance factor increases and it becomes more difficult to communicate over.

Abl3rider

First Name
Able
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I remember back when it was fashionable for the "chime" to be a spoken word performance. I was SOOOOOO sick of the good old "THE DOOR IS A JAR" alert. And it would continue to repeat over and over. So if you jumped out of the car real quick to check something, or to get your mail, or to say hi to someone, or to just get a quiet moment away from the car, it would pester you the nonsensical false equivalency statement.

It's kind of like the studies these days about how people handle background noise. If it is something like white noise it is easy to ignore and talk over it. But as the background becomes more and more recognizable or even intelligible, the annoyance factor increases and it becomes more difficult to communicate over.
Right! My Dad’s 80’s red Datsun or Nissan 240 I think it was said things like that. I thought it was cool at the time. But now I won’t buy a vehicle if the chimes can’t be silenced. Many makes/models including new Fords are silent after the initial chime sequence. That good enough if it’s not more than 10 seconds or whatever

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Dids... have you read the Dune series by Frank Herbert?
Great series about the machine consequences on future social developments.
Loved the "ideas" put forward by ALL!:)

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Dids... have you read the Dune series by Frank Herbert?
Great series about the machine consequences on future social developments.
Loved the "ideas" put forward by ALL!:)
Actually just finished rereading entire series about 2 months ago. I have never read the Brian Herbert attending books.. The butlerian jihad tempts me though.
If you like dune check out Iain m. banks , the culture series. it is excellent. Also consider Zechariah Sitchen ancient aliens series.. its very imaginitive

Last edited:

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Dids...Yes, the three (3) "pre" books are very good.
Thanks for the heads up on good / "interesting" reads. Will check them out.
Take care.
Sponsored