Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Diesel VW, F350, Prius Prime
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure if the right category, but I want to ask about driving the truck. My current habits might seem strange to some. I try to not use the brake, ever. I am only partly successful. Using the brake is a sign of defeat. All that energy to gain momentum and you just put it into waste heat in a conventional truck. So I lag in traffic (I am sure some hate me) so I do not have to brake often, if at all. A good trip is where I use a brake only once. So my question is do i have to change these habits with the CT? It does have regenerative braking, so am I saving nothing by forgoing the brake petal? Will other drivers like me more now?
Sponsored

braddibbnd

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Ram, 23 Tesla MY
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I too try not to use my brakes very much but live in a pretty rural place where there isn't too much traffic. Was over 110,000 miles on my Ram 1500 before it was time for new pads.
And yes you can do without using the brakes on a Tesla. When I test drove a MX, one of the first items they mentioned was that letting your foot off the accelerator will bring the vehicle to a stop. With a bit of practice, the only time you might need to use the brake would be for a hard stop when someone slams on the brakes in front of you or a person walks in front of your vehicle while moving. It was the one thing that noticeably different from an ICE vehicle when driving. Your fellow commuters will probably like you a lot more if you use the Autopilot. I thought it did a great job on keeping with the flow of traffic.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
pĢ¶rĢ¶iĢ¶uĢ¶sĢ¶ cĢ¶,Ģ¶ yĢ¶oĢ¶tĢ¶aĢ¶ pĢ¶iĢ¶cĢ¶kĢ¶uĢ¶p, ā¼•äø«ā»?å°ŗć‚»å°ŗć„©ā¼•é•æ
Country flag
I would assume tesla regen is similar to your prius' regen. perhaps a bit stronger?

OP
OP

Homestead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Diesel VW, F350, Prius Prime
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would assume tesla regen is similar to your prius' regen. perhaps a bit stronger?
I drive a big honking F350 pulling a backhoe, and a diesel yellow bug for fun.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One of the most efficient options is actually binding regen to the brakes. That gives you more room to coast on the accelerator pedal.

Honda did that in their hybrids. And among the Zero riders, it's been tested to be the most efficient for range.

Tesla may have the option to do that in the future, but they default to make brakes pure.

-Crissa

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
There is no "coast" in a Tesla. youre either accelerating or regenerative braking, like a switch, on or off. It will take approximately twice driving a Tesla before you completely change the way you drive forever! its so weird to drive my second car now, stop signs really sneak up on you a lot faster. to @Homestead, i think you will find it to your liking if you already rarely use the brakes. Its quite similar to a downshift in an ICE vehicle., that easiest for others to relate to...

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree with the statement above. It really becomes for the most part ā€˜ā€™One-Footā€™ā€™ driving.

However, Tesla offers an option of using ā€˜ā€™Creep Modeā€™ā€™ or not. If a Creep Mode is turned off, on - regen and When slowing down, the car will actually come to a full stop. I strongly donā€™t recommend this option. All other cars you might be driving have a creep mode, they just donā€™t call it that. When you take your foot off the break at a red light which turns green, the car will move forward to about 4 mph. When you go into a parking lot or stall, this is when you need full control of your car. You donā€™t use the gas pedal as you enter the stall, you control the final movements of the car with your break pedal. If you Turn off Creep Mode, the car will not slowly move forward, you will have to use the gas pedal. Many new Tesla owners have caused accidents by applying to much gas in this situation. Latter they blamed a Tesla and filed lawsuits. But, it was their own fault as Tesla proved.

So regen is great, but keep The Creep Mode on, and use your break pedal to come to a safe and complete stop

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I drive a Lexus RX450H, and it is my second RX hybrid. There is NO comparison between the regen on my RX and our Model 3. I never use the brake on the M3. The Regen is very aggressive.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
Model 3 owner. Very easy to not use your brakes, except when thereā€™s sudden braking. Iā€™m excited to see how the regen on the CT is. If you let off the pedal completely, you will nosedive a bit, and feel it slow considerably. Modulate the accelerator to coast. You will get used to it quickly, and you will rarely need to use the brake. You also wonā€™t have to worry about keeping a great distance in stop and go to not use the brakes.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree with the statement above. It really becomes for the most part ā€˜ā€™One-Footā€™ā€™ driving.

However, Tesla offers an option of using ā€˜ā€™Creep Modeā€™ā€™ or not. If a Creep Mode is turned off, on - regen and When slowing down, the car will actually come to a full stop. I strongly donā€™t recommend this option. All other cars you might be driving have a creep mode, they just donā€™t call it that. When you take your foot off the break at a red light which turns green, the car will move forward to about 4 mph. When you go into a parking lot or stall, this is when you need full control of your car. You donā€™t use the gas pedal as you enter the stall, you control the final movements of the car with your break pedal. If you Turn off Creep Mode, the car will not slowly move forward, you will have to use the gas pedal. Many new Tesla owners have caused accidents by applying to much gas in this situation. Latter they blamed a Tesla and filed lawsuits. But, it was their own fault as Tesla proved.

So regen is great, but keep The Creep Mode on, and use your break pedal to come to a safe and complete stop
I disagree. I love it that the car comes to a complete stop and now I count on it. I agree about the nosediving...you do have to get used to driving an EV including how to stop accelerating, etc.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So many Tesla drivers have damaged their noses bedside they turn Creep off. Be safe. Use Creep Mode

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also. Donā€™t be fooled that the car can drive itself. Take responsibility for your safe driving for you others around you.
Sponsored