Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
Sculptor, Engineer, Designer
Country flag
It sounds like the app opens manually or approaches the driver-side only via app BlueTooth or touch sensors in door panels. Very smart to reduce additional cuts to stainless panels. Also, fewer mechanical failures with pop-out handles. I am suspecting a sensor somewhere at the lower window sill/door panels. . Mmmm
Yes. Some sensor at the lower window sill won't change whether the glass is up or down, of course.
Sponsored

cyberda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Cyber (Ordered)
Country flag
I used to use silicone spray around the door seal area when I lived in Alaska. That seemed to work well if I recall correctly (no promises) :)
Thanks! I have done this with success in the past, but it does need to be reapplied. So there are still times I get frozen doors.

I did a bit of digging around and see that the Ford Mach-E doesn't have handles too! So its not an unprecedented feature. I still have reservations about the specific situations where this electric powered lock combined with the gorilla glass will be a dangerous combo. A manual release lever from the interior would be a must.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Still, FSD should be able to follow hand signals.

-Crissa
That would be AMAZING. Thinking of the times I’ve helped family our friends navigate vehicles around farm gates, near buildings to load or unload stuff, etc.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
You must be from the part of the country where frosty windows means they shut down the city?
There is a system on all cars, called the windshield defroster. It blows hot air directly at your windshield. That's the big piece of glass in front of your face that you look through. Now, this may seem strange but no vehicles have a door jamb perimeter defroster. It might seem strange but the ice on the outside of your car, far away from the heat vents, isn't not easily melted.
I'm from Canada. Your winter is my spring. Maybe your Southern cars lack this feature, but my car blows hot air on the door, too. I have yet to have a morning when I leave my igloo that I can't open my car door, as long as it's been warmed up.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! I have done this with success in the past, but it does need to be reapplied. So there are still times I get frozen doors.

I did a bit of digging around and see that the Ford Mach-E doesn't have handles too! So its not an unprecedented feature. I still have reservations about the specific situations where this electric powered lock combined with the gorilla glass will be a dangerous combo. A manual release lever from the interior would be a must.
Every vehicle must have a manual release on the interior. Tesla's do now in addition to the electronic buttons that open them.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I never thought of that. That is another reason to remove the handle. He is probably making a floater out of CT and adding a propeller to the back in case you need to cross a lake.
You have no idea how much I want this to be true so I can freak out everyone at the lake by driving straight into it at the boat ramp.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I'm from Canada. Your winter is my spring. Maybe your Southern cars lack this feature, but my car blows hot air on the door, too. I have yet to have a morning when I leave my igloo that I can't open my car door, as long as it's been warmed up.
Igloo..... bahahaha.... you forgot that their winter is our fall too.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

This is an interior shot of the mach-e, looks like a normal door handle in there. Maybe musky just means exterior handles.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon: Cybertruck will not have door handles! Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-interior

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I like the idea. Only problem is if you want to take the Tri-Motor to the track to see what she’ll do they won’t let you
Most car clubs won't allow SUVs or trucks of any kind on a race track.

The Porsche club had no choice but to all the Cayenne SUVs, but no other clubs would allow it.

I ran the Cannonball Run for years, and even though it's a "run what you brung" policy, some tracks objected when a Suburban was entered.

I doubt the CT will be allowed to run with clubs. At least in stock form.

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Me: I prefer door handles so I can get into my vehicle when it's frozen shut, but I also welcome the change to no door handles

Canadians: Don't ya know anything?! My doors don't freeze shut so If it never happened to me then it could never happen to you! Eh!

Last edited:

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag

All Tesla's have manual release, heck even the massive falcon wings have one. But of course the regular doors are much easier. Tesla is built with Safety first then performance. Unlike Legacy Big Auto are about profits first than looks, then everything else after...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
None of the Tesla's have door handles on the inside they have a button, and they all have an emergency pull cable exit already. I believe Elon is talking about the outside, I predict it's a deep recessed button on the black doorsill.
No hand wringing necessary. CYBERTRUCK is all electric. Electric drive-by-wire, electric door latch and no amount of physical access is either going to start the car, steal it, steer it or otherwise fix any situation in which the battery is dead-dead.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
No hand wringing necessary. CYBERTRUCK is all electric. Electric drive-by-wire, electric door latch and no amount of physical access is either going to start the car, steal it, steer it or otherwise fix any situation in which the battery is dead-dead.
We will see, until its here it's all speculation. Same with removing lead acid with 12v lithium, and possible 48v instead of 12v. If we live in "what if" world, then possible 48v system as backup for the low voltage by wire system to open doors/latch in emergency situations.
Trust you me, just like others here. We are waiting and dreaming of the CT. And my mind goes crazy with the what it's. That's when I take off my shoes and socks and feel the grass and remind myself that I am real, in the here and now.. Instead of slapping myself..

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Me: I prefer door handles so I can get into my vehicle when it's frozen shut, but I also welcome the change to no door handles

Canadians: Don't ya know anything?! My doors don't freeze shut so If it never happened to me then it could never happen to you! Eh!
I recently saw a social media post by someone who said they are now shutting down any discussion that starts with "So what you're saying is..." because it's almost always and attempt to twist things. This applies here. Everything you said above is false.

These are the things you actually said, as opposed to what you posted here:

"You must be from the part of the country where frosty windows means they shut down the city?"

"It's funny to read through the comments about freezing temperatures and be able to pick out the people who think they know what cold is vs. the people who actually know what cold is."

"Even with the big heavy duty handles on my last few trucks, I've had many days that took me an hour to get into my truck. Using screw drivers and gasoline to chip away at the ice. Cartoon style with your feet on the sides of the truck and both hands pulling your entire body weight on the door handle and the ice won't give.

But you should be fine if you get some frosty mornings in California"

Your tone was condescending, and you never said you welcome the change. You live in MN, it gets cold, for sure. I live north of you. I've never spent an hour trying to get into my car. I've never encountered weather where running the car for a while didn't loosen the ice to easily knock it off. Rather than wasting money on gasoline to pour over your vehicle and jabbing it with screwdrivers, invest in a remote starter and save yourself hours of time and a lot of hardship. Just some friendly advice from someone who deals with a colder world than you do, "eh".
Sponsored